Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knight's Armament or Troy BUIS?

Feedback Score

Question Knight's Armament or Troy BUIS?

I just bought a DD M4V5 sans iron sights. All the other ARs that I've owned have had fixed front sight post and carry handles, so I've never bought a set or irons before.

I've narrowed it down to KAC's full-sized front folder and the 200-600m rear or a set of AR-style (not HK) sights from Troy or someone who re-brands them.

Your opinions?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If your set on the full size KAC irons vs. the Troys....It's probobaly a toss up, however since the troys will be cheaper I would lean towards buying them.

If it's KAC micro front/micro 200-600m rear irons...vs Troys....I'd easily pick the KAC micros.

I own both troys and kac irons just to qualify my opinion above.

Feedback Score
    What makes you prefer the micro versions?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Several reasons....

On the Micro front buis, it has a built in elevation wheel to adjust the height of the front sight post. It also features a smaller front sight post than most others including the troys. The KAC micro front sight post is .0490....the Troy front sight post is .0775. I really like how low of a profile it holds when folded down, and ultimately how lightweight it is.

On the KAC micro rear 200-600m buis...I like the fact that it does everything the full size 200-600m does, yet has a significantly smaller mounting base and makes it really easy to mount an optic above it.

Ultimately, I buy BUIS sets for back up iron sights on my ARs, not for the purposes of being the primary weapon sight. If I intended to run irons as a primary sight...I wouldn't go with anything but fixed designs such as a Colt carry handle, LMT rear fixed sight, or the newer fixed models from DD, Troy, etc. So I'm wanting a BUIS that is as light as possible, maintains a very low profile on the rail, and if needed can be depended on for back up purposes. The KAC micro is just that.
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 01-18-12 at 04:47.

Feedback Score
    I decided to become 100% proficient with my BUIS, after which came optics. I figure if my optics fail for any reason, and I'm back to BUIS, I better be able to hit my target.
    Last edited by Failure2Stop; 01-18-12 at 11:55. Reason: advertising items for sale outside the EE while not a site supporter is not permitted.
    KL Security Solutions, LLC

Feedback Score
    I have a gun with the KAC sights and a gun with the Troy sights. I like them both but I think the trade off with the KAC is that you don't have the large aperture. I like having the large aperture on the Troys if I need to go to my BUIS at close range as I can shoot with both eyes open with no problem. The KAC, IMO, is for longer range use and not as conducive to close range both eyes open shooting. I guess it all comes down to what you want to use them for.

Just one man's opinion.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Same question I had and came to this conclusion.

You can save a little money with the Troy. I've got them on 2 carbines and they work for me.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Just to add to Trident82's response concerning the KAC micro front sight, I've found the micro front easier to flip up as it doesn't have the wings along the side.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Both are nice sights, well built and will hold up. If the choice is between those and you don't have a strong preference, just buy whatever is cheaper.

Feedback Score
    I'm not building a Block II clone or anything so I'm going to go with the Troy sights. It just sucks that the day I buy my T1, Aimpoint announces they're making a 2MOA version.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast