Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Knight's Armament or Troy BUIS?

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Personally, I'd go with KAC Micros. I had one set of Troys, and while well built & robust, I just flat out could not zero well with them.

I have a couple front micros, three 200-600 micros and a couple 300s and I've never had problem one... YMMV
    "A 'sporting purpose' is what we use to describe actions taken with a football." -S.W.A.T. Magazine

"...if you are cruising the ghetto looking for crack and tranny hookers and you shoot their transgender pimp for staring at you the wrong way, then yeah, you might have a problem." -Iraqgunz

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdcgrohl View Post
    Personally, I'd go with KAC Micros. I had one set of Troys, and while well built & robust, I just flat out could not zero well with them.
    Was this because of the above mentioned sight post width? I have some problems getting irons zeroed sometimes, and I've thought about swapping to a narrower sight post to see if that helps.

Feedback Score
    I just snagged the last KAC micro front sight on operation parts. I'm going to call the local KAC guy and see if he has the 300m micro rear. I really don't have any need for a 200-600m sight on the carbine these are going on.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I run troys on any rifle where cost is a consideration - they're durable, and if you're just going to zero them (and whatever optic) for one zero and leave it, they're probably still the best around.

If you're looking for the KAC rears, the USMC ate up a HUGE amount of them, and now every pogue rifle in the universe has a set of irons on it. Go figure.

I have no doubt I'm keeping my Knight's BUIS for my SPR and Recce units, and very seriously considering the angled KAC sights for those or OBR applications, but I can't beat the stupid simplicity of the TROYs as rear sights for my light simple close range carbines that wear micro aimpoints.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I prefer the standard KAC folding sights over the micros, but both are nice. I just feel a little better with the added protection when the front is down. Another thing I heard about then tried for myself and saw was that raising and lowering the rear micro, it can actually cause the windage knob to turn and shift your zero. Not all that likely, but it is possible.

What I do like about the micro front is how little rail space it consumes when up. It's a great choice when rail space is important or running it behind an x300, for example. I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the KAC or standard Troy sights and it really just comes down to personal preference.

For me, my main concern is if they fold when impacted and chance of breaking. I've broken two integrated URX II sights as well as a Troy front (any sight would have broken after that impact), so durability is important to me. Since I use magnifiers, I tend to stay away from fixed sights, at least the rear. What I like about the KAC over the Troy is they'll fold before they snap if hit from certain angles.

I've run Troys on numerous rifles and they work great. Can't go wrong with a set of the standard Battle Sights.

I think the intended role should play a part in the decision as well. For a precision rifle where it's less likely to be damaged, the micro would be a great choice as well as if you have limited rail space. Other than that, I'd keep in mind the ease of raising the sights if they were to stay folded unless really needed.

The standard KAC front, especially with gloves, will be the slowest while the micro front is likely faster than both the standard and the Troy. Personally, that's not a huge consideration for me. If a problem is that close that speed of the front sight comes into play, they're also close enough to get hits on target without using sights at all.

I've noticed a lot of people moving away from BUIS altogether, especially when using a PEQ 15, which can fill the backup role. I'm not ready to go without them yet, personally.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    The Troy front folding sight is a little thick for my preference too. Certainly liveable, but somewhat annoying, enough that I've been considering putting the DD fixed front back on as I like the smaller profile through the aperture much better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12