Thread: AR57 Build and Review Part 2 *PIC HEAVY*

Feedback Score

AR57 Build and Review Part 2 *PIC HEAVY*

A section of the rail protectors were preventing me from feeding a magazine. The small profile rail protector was used for this section. If a flashlight or lazer were to be mounted, you can't use the one you want, you have to use the one that fits. Otherwise they'll get in the way of a reload.

Buffer Tube w/drain holes. You can see the buffer spring in the last 4 stock positions.

Troy Sling Adapter

Upon mounting it to the lower, for the front pivot pin, I had to use the rubber hammer to get it to sit flush. I took mild aggression to put it in. I didn’t mind this because it made the entire rifle feel solid as the upper itself. This will help for consistent accuracy. Felt solid like a complete billet set even though the lower is forged aluminum.

I was excited to install the Phase 5 bolt catch lever because of its compatibility with billet uppers. Unfortunately, when it was finally finished, I found that the Phase 5 bolt catch lever does not work for the AR57 upper.

The bolt is riding too high in the slide action for the bolt catch to stop it. Even when pushing on the bolt catch all the way, the tip of it doesn’t even reach the bottom of the bolt to stop it.

So, it had to come out and I’ll just use it on another application.

So alas, no fast tactical reloading with this application. You’re going to have to charge it after reload. There might be some aftermarket bolt catch lever out there that would correct this, but highly unlikely because of such a newish application. This would be an opportunity for some manufacturer to make some money and fabricate one…hint hint.

As a complete rifle, you can see that the top rail sits higher than a standard flattop upper. It’s about ¾ inches higher than a mil-spec flat top. This can easily be corrected with a cheek riser added on to the stock to give you that comfortable cheek weld.

Or a moderate lift cheek riser and Troy Micro-Flip BUIS to meet you halfway. Although, doing this would eliminate the co-witness for some red dot optics. Ultimately, this portion is shooters discretion.
    Without changing anything, this can give the shooter a different shooting experience by placing the stock end on the immediate left or right side of their sternum (depending if they’re left or right handed) and placing the side of their cheek/chin on the stock to get an ‘In-Line’ sight picture. I haven’t tried (fired with) this technique yet, just a theory. Ultimately, whatever the shooter is comfortable with. Honestly, it kinda hurt my neck posting up this way after a while…again I’m getting weak.

Billet is as billet does, strait as an arrow.

I’ll let you know what happens when I get to the range.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Looks interesting.

You've taken 100 photos but none of the whole gun. They're all shallow depth of field close ups, which is great and all, but it helps if you show us what the whole thing looks like!

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I agree. No pics of the entire gun.

Also, why the two threads? Why not just put this with the other thread?

And for the most important part of this entire forum: Why? Why are you building this? What are you trying to get out of it that 5.56mm doesn't provide? Answering "because its fun" is entirely acceptable of course, I'm just curious.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    **UPDATE** Another lower with Spikes Enhanced LPK was used for the AR57 build. (As stated eariler, I like their triggers) And the lower built with the Daniel Defense will go to another build. You will see the nickel-boron trigger with a few photos. And the DD on others.

I plan on using this for competition. Some competitions will consider this a rifle in a 3-gun, and others consider this a pistol caliber carbine because of the FN 5.7 pistol. When that's the case, I'd use it in a 2-gun, pistol carbine and shotgun competition. Either way i get to compete with it.

I also like how abidextrious this is without shells being ejected in your face. And if I let one of my (lefty) friends compete with it.

Mainly, I built it because it's quite unique. There's a part of me that likes the exotic stuff...but get what I can afford.

I had to separate the review to part one and two because of the forums 20 pic limit per post.

So speaking of pics here's the entire rifle. Lol, sorry about the limited full view. I guess I concentrated on the details a little much. This is my first review.

Free Float Barrel

Feedback Score
    Cool, If I had some disposable income I'd like to try the AR57 myself someday.

Feedback Score
    5.7 upper - $600 free shipping from a variety of places online.

P90 magazine - $20 per from anyplace on sale. (Cabela's at the time)