Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: ALG Defense's new ALG Combat Trigger (ACT)...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Got my ACT trigger today and installed it in my BCM 14.5 Middy. Haven't shot it yet but will report back when I do. One thing I noticed is the hole in the hammer is smaller / tighter on the pin. Very little slop while on the pin. I checked this by putting both pins (BCM and ACT) in both hammers, as I know the ACT pin is .001" larger to begin with. Dry firing, it is NICE. Looks like I'm gonna have to order at least 1 more for the BCM 16" Middy

Here's a couple pics of the ACT and the BCM TG's.

Last edited by number9xd; 03-02-12 at 21:03.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    ^^ Awesome pics ^^ Thanks for the feedback for those of you whom have already weighed in on these, and I look forward to hearing more.

I have a few things to add....

RE: Creep associated w/ the ACT trigger

As Ive already noted in my use with this trigger, and depicted in the video I linked earlier in this thread, the ACT has a slight amt. of creep. Personally I believe this isn't all that of a bad thing on this particular type of trigger...i.e. hard use, duty, combat, PD, etc.

This is a quote from Bill G in regards to the creep on the ACT trigger....

"The trigger will have creep if you try to pull the trigger slowly. It has the same .062" sear engagement as the mil spec trigger. If the target is acquired and the trigger directly pulled back creep will not be noticeable.

For reference a Hi Speed has .003-.005" sear engagement at the break. A whole different ballgame."

RE: Some more feedback from the unit I've been running

I was finally able to use this trigger in a LR capacity which I feel is a excellent test for any AR trigger, and also let a pal whom had never fired a single AR-15 prior to this occasion attempt to ring steel with it @ 600yds.

I went first, and had no problems whatsoever ringing 12" x 20" steel with this trigger @ 600yds. I found the right hold for my pal, and turned over the trigger to him to see if he could ring some steel with the SPR and this particular trigger. I kid you not, my pal ringed the steel on the very first trigger pull, and then continued to nail it thereafter for another 8-9rds.

It's worth noting that we both came off of using true precision triggers in different .308 rifles that we were firing at 800yds, and had no problems adjusting to the significantly heavier, and less refined ACT trigger. In my case I was previously shooting my beloved SD-E trigger which is the Cadillac of AR triggers imho.

In short, there are certainly better precision type AR triggers available like the SD-E/C, SSA/E, and DMR....however, the ACT trigger certainly will allow you to have a smooth enough/light enough trigger in order to pull off critical hits at distances that I'm not sure a gritty, heavy, or unpredictable stock G.I. type trigger would be able to make.
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 03-02-12 at 21:29.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Just installed an ACT in a buddy's CDD stripped lower (from Grant).

He was very impressed and, despite this being his first aftermarket trigger, he was extremely happy with the value.

I have another friend who spends a good deal of time with bolt rifles who just received his. I'm gonna help him install that this coming week. I'd imagine his response will be similar.

I can't see the price on the ACT staying the same for very long. Between the oversized, hardened, and centerless-ground pins, the advanced coatings, the XP hammer spring, and the "Geissele Automatics touch"....these trigger are a solid buy.

My wife LOVES hers. She commented on how consistent it was from pull to pull. In my mind, that is its greatest strength over a std parts kit trigger.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    Wow, if you'll note above...I mentioned that the ACT unlike the vast majority of mil spec single stage triggers Ive ever shot, is actually predictable. After reliability, I value predictability secondly. Not only did I hate having to fight the hell out of 9.5lb-10.5lb triggers in my colt 6520s, but even more importantly, there was no way to tell when exactly the shot would break. This by extension made me focus tons of attention on thinking about pulling the trigger and when it would be actually breaking vs. keeping my attention on the target through the sights which is where all my attention should be. A great trigger is one in which you don't even know it's there.

So anyway, I was excited to check the pull weights on this trigger to get some actual data to support the statement I made above that was based purely on the feel of the trigger. I was quite surprised, and impressed with the 10 pull weight numbers. I also wanted to show the effects that properly greasing your contact surfaces will have upon the pull weight. I started of by removing all the grease on the surfaces that I had installed it with, and performed five pulls like that. Then I properly greased the surfaces, and performed another 10 pulls.

First five pull weights w/o trigger grease:

1.) 6.29
    2.) 6.61
    3.) 6.36
    4.) 6.24
    5.) 6.33
    ________
    Avg. pull weight: 6.366lbs Standard Deviation: .14363

Ten pull weights w/ trigger grease:

1.) 5.81
    2.) 5.85
    3.) 5.93
    4.) 5.98
    5.) 5.76
    6.) 5.92
    7.) 6.04
    8.) 5.74
    9.) 5.91
    10.) 6.08

I will have to refer back to my notes to be positive on the pull weight averages I recorded on 3 different S2S triggers, but I'm pretty sure that this ACT actually had a lower standard deviation than any of the S2S. Again, that pull weight avg. amount and the low standard deviation in the string is awesome to see.

I'm not sure if a vial of grease will come with these triggers since I didn't receive any, so that is one thing to be aware of.....do yourself a favor and pick up a small amt. of Aeroshell 6 or Mobil 28.

So a couple of things, I usually only lubricate the springs a bit so where are you putting the grease to properly grease it? Also, where can you find the Aeroshell 6 or Mobil 28?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by blasternank View Post
    So a couple of things, I usually only lubricate the springs a bit so where are you putting the grease to properly grease it? Also, where can you find the Aeroshell 6 or Mobil 28?

Thanks.
    The ALG website has an installation guide as well as lubrication points in the illustration, this company is great!

After clicking "Learn more by downloading", click download ACT(QMS) Instructions - depending on which one you got.
    Patrolman
    USMC 0621
    Brass Junkie

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Lube per instructions when installing....

After that, I use a small amt. of grease on the contacts surfaces that I can reach when the upper is off the lower.

I googled aeroshell 6 and several places sell small portions of it for IIrc $10 or less.
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 03-07-12 at 21:36.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    I love my ACT, it should be standard equipment for any AR enthusiast that wants a good trigger at a low cost. This is the best trigger under $75.00 that you will ever find. I could only imagine what their higher cost trigger would be like, I'm hooked! Coming from a military background I never thought the AR trigger was that big of a deal, my eyes have been opened. Bravo Zulu ALG Defense.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SW-Shooter View Post
    I love my ACT, it should be standard equipment for any AR enthusiast that wants a good trigger at a low cost. This is the best trigger under $75.00 that you will ever find. I could only imagine what their higher cost trigger would be like, I'm hooked! Coming from a military background I never thought the AR trigger was that big of a deal, my eyes have been opened. Bravo Zulu ALG Defense.
    Mine should be here in 3 weeks. Pretty pumped.

Tuned by Geissele what else could be expected?!
    Patrolman
    USMC 0621
    Brass Junkie

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    Hi guys, I wanted to share a brand new trigger option that I'm trying out. It's from ALG Defense which is a new company started by Amy Geissele, and they will be distributing defense products to local LEO and the U.S. Gov't. With the help of Bill Geissele, they have developed two new triggers one of which is featured in this thread...the ALG Combat Trigger (ACT). Both of these new triggers are enhanced mil-spec triggers. ALG Defense purchases semi finished castings from the same Tier 1 supplier that makes Colt’s triggers, and then they apply the now famous Geissele magic on the sears and include the much higher quality Geissele pins and springs.

The ACT trigger features:

Advantages for the shooter include....

• The ALG Defense ACT trigger pull is smoother and sharper than a stock trigger. This is accomplished by
    polishing the sear surfaces smooth and HardLubing the trigger components.

• Sear geometry has not been changed from the standard profile so the high reliability that the stock trigger is known for is unchanged.

• Trigger and hammer are made from true 8620 alloy steel military specification castings, correctly carburized, quenched and tempered for high surface hardness.

• Disconnector is 1070 High Carbon steel properly Austempered into the spring range of hardness.

• Springs are corrosion resistant and meet military specifications.

• A full force hammer spring is used for positive ignition of all type of ammunition.

• Trigger and hammer pins are improved over stock mild steel by using 4140 Chrome-Moly steel that has been quenched and tempered. Pins are centerless ground to a fine finish and a diameter 0.001” larger than stock to reduce play in the trigger assembly while retaining a slip fit hinto the weapon lower receiver. Both pins are Nickel-Teflon coated.

• Pull weight is above the U.S. Military minimum pull weight of 5.5lbs but does not reach near the upper limit of 9.5lbs. Generally the pull is around 6lbs.

Advantages for the Armorer include....

• The ALG Defense ACT trigger is an enhanced standard trigger so maintenance and installation procedures
    are unchanged.

• Trigger assembly parts may be interchanged between triggers, there are no matched sets.

• As a trigger meeting the essential U.S. Military trigger specifications for the M4 Carbine, the ALG Defense
    ACT can be substituted for lower performing stock triggers while still staying in compliance with Unit or Departmental requirements.

Notes about Hardlubing....

HardLubing is ALG's term for electroless Nickel plating with an integral modifier to the base nickel plate. Either Boron or Teflon is used to enhance surface hardness, wear resistance and corrosion resistance and also create favorable tribological properties of the trigger components.

Testing has shown that differential coating of the trigger parts contributes to the sharpness of the ACT's single stage pull. The trigger component is plated with Nickel-Boron which has a high surface hardness combined with excellent wear resistance. The color is a pleasing matte light grey that may be painted on non-functional
    surfaces if the shooter so desires (such as the trigger bow that is visible outside the lower receiver). The hammer, disconnector and trigger/hammer pins are plated with Nickel-Teflon which combines a low coefficient of friction with good wear resistance. The Teflon impregnation colors the metal a mottled, greyish/green. Parts coated with Nickel-Teflon cannot be painted. Both coatings are highly corrosion resistant eliminating the oil seal of traditional phosphated firearm components.

The retail price for these will be $65

I just installed it this afternoon, so my personal thoughts are brief. I'm already certainly impressed with this trigger considering what it is by nature, and the price point it's set at.

Super simple installation with great directions.

It has easily the nicest pull I've ever felt on a mil spec g.i. type single stage trigger. The pull has an ever so small amount of creep, and then breaks extremely clean. Nice, and loud audible reset as well.

Some really nice touches on this trigger are for sure the hardlubing on the parts, the typical Geissele trigger pins, and lastly but not least the included slave pin that makes the installation process so much easier.

This trigger will be a huge seller!

Very nice lower, which already comes with a KAC two stage.....are you swapping just to try the new setup or are you unhappy with the KAC?
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thanks, Ive owned several KAC 2stage match triggers and ultimately just own a single one now....really just trying to see when it will fail these days. The KAC 2stage feels similar to the SSA and S2S triggers but has nowhere close to the construction, durability, and overall lifetime as the Geissle 2 stage triggers. It's also semi adjust design. The SSA and S2S triggers are non adjust....big plus in my book.

I really enjoy trying different quality triggers, but in the end times, my main rifles will always be equipped with Geissele Super Dynamics models

Last edited by ALCOAR; 03-08-12 at 00:15.

Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast