Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My First AR Build

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by francobx22 View Post
    I have had extentsive experience with DPMS LPK they arent very well made from my experiece so FWIW I would have to agree with this one .. even if its a "plinker" I would def replace the LPK with a better one ... someone mentioned RRA, great LPK mine has over 10k rounds runs like butter.
    I'd expect it to work much better than anything DPMS makes. And for $55 plus shipping you still have to find a trigger but hey, good AR triggers are only about $20-30 and you've probably spent around $1000+ already so it's not a big deal. It even comes with an A2 grip that will probably never be installed because Magpul pistol grips aren't pricey and are generally more comfortable for most shooters.
    Yes, I like pretty ponies.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Just curious; what did that cost versus a 6920?
    http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...ction&key=6920
    The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. - Ayn Rand

Feedback Score
    Why did you leave a link to something that was out of stock? At least give a link to the 6720 or some BCM uppers and lowers.

Feedback Score
    Grand total including the extras like the magpul xtras and gunfighter charging handle I spent about 800. I waited to order stuff until it was on sale, and some stuff was given to me. With out the xtra stuff it would have been about 700

Feedback Score
    If you replace the barrel with a Daniel Defense you'd probably still come under $1000. Or you might try to sell the upper, just keep the charging handle and bolt carrier group of course. That way you could buy a BCM upper from G&R Tactical with your choice of handguards, except a DD Omega 9" since that's out of stock, and probably still spend less than $1000 on your first AR.

Feedback Score
    Hwikek, maybe I have missed something, but has the quality of Thompson Center barrels taken a nose dive in the past few years?
    The fact DSA uses Thompson Center barrels was one of the reasons I wasn't too concerned about using these uppers.

Feedback Score
    It all depends on whether those barrels have the proper testing done and are made from the right steel. If so then they should be fine but even if they don't as long as the upper has M4 feed ramps you can replace the barrel with a DD or Noveske one if you so desire. If it's 4140 it will probably work for anything that isn't a combat environment. It's just that hammer forged barrels are generally better and a BCM upper with a hammer forged barrel isn't much more than an upper without. But if the barrel is at least chrome lined it should be good.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The gun you have will likely serve all the uses you built it for. I checked the ds arms website, and they claim it is chambered for 5.56 nato. If you have the means to check, do it and be sure. It's 1/9 twist, while not optimal for the most expensive ammo, should handle 55 and 62 grain ammo just fine. If you are not firing on full auto, the upper will last you thousands upon thousands of rounds.
    Buy a spring kit from G&R and replace the ones from your stag kit with them. Keep them as backups.
    Like I said before, make sure your castle nut is staked, oil it and shoot the **** out of it. Your rifle will not disolve in the rain or mud. While shooting the **** out of it, if something doesn't work, fix it. Once you have 3k rounds thru it, you will know if you trust it as a defensive gun. Until then, just get some training and shoot it. If you can't stand not having a bcm or dd or colt, sell it and buy one of those. If you don't care, shoot the gun till its broke and then buy one of those. (Oh, and lose the red dot)
    "After extensive research, I picked this rifle because it came with bullets"

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Why are people telling the OP to replace his LPK and/or lower?
    These are some of the lowest stress parts on the carbine.

I'd be looking to get rid of that barreled upper first.
    Why? Because the OP has already had issues with it.
    I highly doubt that is a true 5.56 NATO chamber.

OP, sell the upper on TOS and use the funds to buy a BCM upper.
    Last edited by polymorpheous; 01-23-12 at 15:36.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Anybody that owns or sells pistol versions of assault rifles is a bottom feeder, irregardless of the ban status of certain ammunition.

They are illigetimate weapons that have no real purpose other than to attract retards to the gun community.

Feedback Score
    The only thing he really needs if he wants to improve the rifle, are BUIS REAR, and a nice optic, otherwise the rifle is fine for what he wants it for, anything else more than that is an investment... and if you wanted a "better" trigger I would get a RRA trigger or something along those lines.

Otherwise its a decent rifle..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast