Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Tavor bullpup slated for release this year in USA

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by stmcelroy View Post
    I've heard around $2,000 for the basic model up to $2,500 for the one with optic.
    I hope not. That dog won't hunt.

The Tavor is a great design but it is not TWICE as good as a quality AR. There will be guys with the EBR disease who will buy a few just like guys will buy the SCAR and HK rifles. But there is no way a $2000 5.56mm rifle will make a dent in AR sales. Honestly, I would expect them to sell below $1200 if they expect to have much commercial success in the civilian US market.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Armati View Post
    I hope not. That dog won't hunt.

The Tavor is a great design but it is not TWICE as good as a quality AR. There will be guys with the EBR disease who will buy a few just like guys will buy the SCAR and HK rifles. But there is no way a $2000 5.56mm rifle will make a dent in AR sales. Honestly, I would expect them to sell below $1200 if they expect to have much commercial success in the civilian US market.
    Seriously? The only AR I ever bought for less than $1200 was my Colt CAR15-A3 I bought on dept. letterhead for $650 plus tax more than 10 years ago!!! I just bought a Barrett REC7 in 6.8 and thought I was getting a smoking deal on it at $1750.00.

$1800 seems like a reasonable starting point for the Tavor. Let the gouging dealers enjoy the laws of supply and demand initially but keep the MSRP at $1800 and I would think sales would be solid.
    Last edited by Swatdude1; 04-05-12 at 00:56.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by halmbarte View Post
    Yes, I understand that.

What I'm interested in in A-B comparisons of hardchromed barrels vs nitrided barrels. Multiple barrels in each configuration, same firing schedules, bore scopes and quantifiable analysis of wear and damage.

The closest I've seen is this document: www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA440938

But that's referencing artillery systems and tank guns. Some effects don't scale 100%.

H
    I'm sure you could find some more info in a google search. LWRC switched from Chrome line to nitrided for some reason. Maybe they could supply some hard and fast data.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I will believe it when I see it. Talks of the Tavor being sold in the US has been discussed ad nauseum for well over a decade. Barrett introduced it at the 2002 SHOT show with much fanfare. Here we are 10 years later and no Tavor.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
    I will believe it when I see it. Talks of the Tavor being sold in the US has been discussed ad nauseum for well over a decade. Barrett introduced it at the 2002 SHOT show with much fanfare. Here we are 10 years later and no Tavor.
    My grandfather once told me to "Savor the wanting". He said that most things in life are much more exciting to want, because once you get them, they lose their luster. I'm not sure I agree with him when it comes to firearms.
    Last edited by Swatdude1; 04-05-12 at 11:24.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
    Even if it's available in November I won't get one until the summer of '13.

As a wise man once told me: 'Never buy the first model year of anything more complex than a hammer.'

Sure, the Tavor has been out for years, but this one isn't the same exact rifle. Even small changes can impact reliability and function.

H

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swatdude1 View Post
    Seriously?
    Seriously:

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...ction&key=6920

Feedback Score
    Still waiting for dealer information-who will be selling these-what distributors?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Armati View Post
    A couple of things: First, it is out of stock. Second, how much are you going to have to spend on that model to bring it into the 21st Century? Shipping, transfer fees, and a good stock puts you over $1,200.00.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The Tavor won't ever be able to compete on a price basis with ARs. There just isn't the economy of scale. Millions of AR parts get pumped out by lots of different factories, each competing on cost. They can compete on cost because they make lots and lots of parts, which means each part can be made cheaper.

Tavors aren't ever going to have that scale and won't ever be that cheap. Does that make them not as good as a AR? Depends on what your criteria for selection is.

H

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast