Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger drops all 6.8 rifles

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    Ruger has dropped all its 6.8 rifles due to slow sales.

There are two possible causes for the slow sales:

1. 6.8 is not selling in general.
    2. 6.8 sells, but only if you have a certain chamber and twist.

Not sure which one it is - but, I do think they would have sold significantly more if they did an SPC-II chamber and 1/11 twist. It is ok to make a product you want rather than what most customers want, but you have to accept you will sell fewer of them because of it and realize you are in a niche area.
    Lack of hi-caps didn't help either.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    I would not have said "quite possibly" if I had tested it.

I am interested in why others rejected it without testing how well it actually handled the hottest ammo.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Ruger is famous for half-assing it. The Mini-30 and it's .308 bore are a prime example.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    heres the thing.

Prospective 6.8/6.5 buyers are educated buyers. They spend a SUBSTANTIAL amount of time researching the cartridges and the benefits that each offer. THEN they do the same for the rifles.

It should come as NO suprise that an educated buyer would reject an inferior and possibly dangerous chamber for a cartridge that is mostly a reloading proposition.

Ruger screwed the pooch when they repeatedly refused to correct thier chamber geometry. The mini-14 is a FINE weapon and a very capable one at that. They are NOTED for their reliablity when used with factory mags and have been an affordable alternative to the AR for 40 years. It's not the platform, it's the chambering and probably the lack of 20+ round magazine that doomed it. Hell, I'm a mini-14 proponent and I wouldnt even buy one in 6.8 or 762x39!

I had to chuckle about the comment that "no-one I run with has a ruger". I'd be willing to bet that in that group there is at least ONE 10-22 or MKII or magnum revolver

Just sayin... ruger is more prolific than you give it credit for
    My capacity for self deception is exceeded only by yours.

Feedback Score
    There is typically a 1000 psi difference (1500 max) between 6.8 SAAMI and 6.8 SPC-II. That means if you take 6.8 SPC-II ammo which is loaded to 55,000 psi - and shoot it in a SAAMI chamber, the expected pressure is 56,000 psi.
    Last edited by rsilvers; 01-25-12 at 14:24.

Feedback Score
    What hurt Ruger besides the specs.

AR
    hunters don't need a piston, or a chrome lined barrel, or quad rails. So they released a rifle that didn't fit the needs of the largest group of 6.8 users...hunters.

now I am not LE...but I can speculate why they did not do well in that market too. Price...they priced themselves way to high for a new to AR platform mfg. going heads up with LWRC and a couple other highly regarded piston AR makers. Also the Ruger piston system was not user friendly. Ruger said you had to send the gun back to them to service the dam piston. FAIL!

hawkeye bolt gun
    first it's a damn brick. A handy bolt rifle with a 16" barrel that weighs 7lbs. come the **** on. I have a 20" .308 bolt gun that weighs 5.5 lbs that cost me 50$ more than the Ruger.

Secondly Horrible accuracy. straight from Ruger's mouth, 6moa is acceptable accuracy from this rifle. Well obviously that is totally unacceptable to todays consumers.

Mini
    Costs more than an AR. less accessory options, not accurate and no hi-cap mags. Bring the msrp down to 500$ and they would have sold a ton of them...especially with hi-cap mags.

Specs aside... Ruger just had trash product at premium prices.

Which makes me sad because I love my mkII's ,10/22's, #1's and alot of other Ruger products. Sad to see them so out of touch with their customers expectations in today's market.

Just sayin

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    Ruger is famous for half-assing it. The Mini-30 and it's .308 bore are a prime example.
    Shooting .311 bullets out of a .308 barrel isn't a big deal. The smaller bore doesn't significantly increase pressure and doesn't hurt accuracy. Matter of fact, some benchresters use slightly smaller bores in their rifles because they feel it improves accuracy.

The Ruger Mini 30 has it's problems but the .308 bore in't one of them
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fdxpilot View Post
    You do realize this is only one manufacturer, with a small selection of offerings with mediocre specs (hence the poor sales of Ruger 6.8 rifles.) There are still a bunch of 6.8 vendors with great products available.
    True. I am just wondering if this is just a series of events that is leading to the possible death of the catridge. Will more and more manufacturers stop supporting the cartridge? I suppose it won't matter too much if I reload, but the 6.8 from my perspective seems to be losing popularity rather than gaining. I see even less support for the Grendel.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SE_AK Hunter View Post
    What hurt Ruger besides the specs.

AR
    hunters don't need a piston, or a chrome lined barrel, or quad rails. So they released a rifle that didn't fit the needs of the largest group of 6.8 users...hunters.

now I am not LE...but I can speculate why they did not do well in that market too. Price...they priced themselves way to high for a new to AR platform mfg. going heads up with LWRC and a couple other highly regarded piston AR makers. Also the Ruger piston system was not user friendly. Ruger said you had to send the gun back to them to service the dam piston. FAIL!

hawkeye bolt gun
    first it's a damn brick. A handy bolt rifle with a 16" barrel that weighs 7lbs. come the **** on. I have a 20" .308 bolt gun that weighs 5.5 lbs that cost me 50$ more than the Ruger.

Secondly Horrible accuracy. straight from Ruger's mouth, 6moa is acceptable accuracy from this rifle. Well obviously that is totally unacceptable to todays consumers.

Mini
    Costs more than an AR. less accessory options, not accurate and no hi-cap mags. Bring the msrp down to 500$ and they would have sold a ton of them...especially with hi-cap mags.

Specs aside... Ruger just had trash product at premium prices.

Which makes me sad because I love my mkII's ,10/22's, #1's and alot of other Ruger products. Sad to see them so out of touch with their customers expectations in today's market.

Just sayin
    I agree completely with this. The same crap they pulled with the PC9/40 carbines, heavy, inaccurate, and not customizable. Ruger used its sales machine for some agency buys, which helped for a while but when the police market dried-up they went away.

I liked the Ruger 556 6.8 (spec's be damned) but it weighed nearly 8lbs empty. Many people buy a 6.8 as a lightweight, less expensive alternative to .308's---8lbs is not light and $1500 is not inexpensive.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    There is a 1500 psi difference between 6.8 SAAMI and 6.8 SPC-II. That means if you take 6.8 SPC-II ammo which is loaded to 55,000 psi - and shoot it in a SAAMI chamber, the expected pressure is 56,500 psi.
    you are seriously telling me that that fixed number includes ALL the powders,bullet shapes, weights, seating depths, case capacity, bullet coatings, bullet material, and primer differences?

Comparing a factory load in one chamber to a factory load in another chamber does not even begin to describe the differences. Sorry, but there are just things you can do with the SPCII or 6.8x43 chambers that you cant do with a SAAMI chamber. Rugers lack of customers would seem to be a strong indicator of that, where all the other manufacturers who adopted the corrected standards seem to be doing OK.

enough of the straw man arguments. I would expect more from you.
    Last edited by Jack-O; 01-24-12 at 19:57.
    My capacity for self deception is exceeded only by yours.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast