Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger drops all 6.8 rifles

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Microalign View Post
    True. I am just wondering if this is just a series of events that is leading to the possible death of the catridge. Will more and more manufacturers stop supporting the cartridge? I suppose it won't matter too much if I reload, but the 6.8 from my perspective seems to be losing popularity rather than gaining. I see even less support for the Grendel.
    This is interesting analysis. I see it a bit differently, as almost weekly I see a new high number of users online over at this site: http://68forums.com/forums/forum.php. I also see 3-4 new members everyday---the market is there it's just a matter of business providing what the market wants. There is a lot of nay-saying these days, mostly from people trying to sell competing cartridges. Fortunately the 6.8 market continues to grow despite this negative marketing campaign.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Microalign View Post
    True. I am just wondering if this is just a series of events that is leading to the possible death of the catridge. Will more and more manufacturers stop supporting the cartridge? I suppose it won't matter too much if I reload, but the 6.8 from my perspective seems to be losing popularity rather than gaining. I see even less support for the Grendel.
    The 6.8 is definitely gaining popularity in my neck of the woods. The local Bi-Mart stores even stock it along with the usual 30-30, .243, 30-06, etc.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lwrkeysfisher View Post
    Did you test whether it was the 'single best 6.8 SPC barrel made', or is this just more speculation by a guy that has a financial interest in this cartridge not doing well.
    If you have an accusation to make I invite you to make it plainly, not as an insinuation.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O View Post
    you are seriously telling me that that fixed number includes ALL the powders,bullet shapes, weights, seating depths, case capacity, bullet coatings, bullet material, and primer differences?
    I am saying that if 6.8 SPC-II chambers were in from the beginning, the typical factory load velocity would only be 20-30 fps more (1000 psi works out to about 20 fps).

Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O View Post
    Sorry, but there are just things you can do with the SPCII or 6.8x43 chambers that you cant do with a SAAMI chamber.
    The 6.8x43 chamber has a tighter freebore than 6.8 SAAMI (which is already rather snug) - and it would be expected to raise pressures more than a SAAMI chamber raises pressures from its shorter throat.

Sure one can argue that a tighter freebore helps accuracy, but one can also argue that the short throat of a SAAMI chamber helps accuracy.

In summary, I would expect 6.8 SPC-II to have the least pressure, a SAAMI chamber to have more pressure, and a 6.8x43 chamber to have the most pressure.
    Last edited by rsilvers; 01-25-12 at 14:25.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lwrkeysfisher View Post
    +1. It would be an interesting business decision though, cut an established product with higher sales and margins for one with lower sales and margins....

For those who haven't completely bought into RSilvers marketing BS, here is the full story on the state of the 6.8 at Shot... http://68forums.com/forums/showthrea...273#post274273
    At Shot, a major international ammo manufacturer told me they are going to drop the 6.8 round and were upset that they even got into it at all.

C4

Feedback Score
    I think there is only one non-USA company making it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    At Shot, a major international ammo manufacturer told me they are going to drop the 6.8 round and were upset that they even got into it at all.

C4

lemme guess... S&B?
    My capacity for self deception is exceeded only by yours.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    I think there is only one non-USA company making it.
    And I couldn't get their ammo to shoot better than 4-5" @ 100 from a Noveske Recon bbl and haven't bought another box since.

That said, Hornady mentioned they were pleasantly surprised with their 6.8 sales numbers... Why spend the same amount of money for crap quality.
    Last edited by lwrkeysfisher; 01-24-12 at 20:39.

Feedback Score
    How happy a company is has to do with what their expectations are (what they forecast).

If a company forecasts a small number, and beat it, they are happy. If a company forecasts a large number and don't make it, they are unhappy. Those numbers may even be the exact same.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    How happy a company is has to do with what their expectations are (what they forecast).

If a company forecasts a small number, and beat it, they are happy. If a company forecasts a large number and don't make it, they are unhappy. Those numbers may even be the exact same.
    They forecasted enough sales that they changed their brass, designed a new bullet, and spiced up their loads a bit.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast