Page 38 of 139 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888138 ... LastLast

Thread: New Noveske NSR rail!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Gear Sector Mount

Gentlemen the new design of the Gear Sector off set mount makes my previous issue of the slide on mount a moot point. It is no longer a slide on mount it has been machined flat on the allen key side of the the mount which allows it to be placed over the Pic. rail at any location and then secured via the allen bolt and insert.

Feedback Score
    That's great news. Was never a fan of the full slide-on type mount. I had some DD rails that GS mounts were very tight on.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I have a question regarding the mounting of the NSR in relation to the upper.

How does the alignment between the NSR and the upper's rail happen? Is it a function of the timing of the NSR's barrel nut? Is there a slight fine tuning that can happen when attaching the body of the rail to the barrel nut?

I'm kind of demanding that the upper's rail be in perfect alignment with the rail. I have built quite a few uppers, and the only two that really lined up perfectly where a DD RIS-II and a Vltor MUR. So I would expect there may be a slight difference in overal dimensions of the rail. I would expect this difference to be equal on both sides of the receiver with no detectable cant.

That being said, I was considering buying a NSR equipped upper from Noveske. It's my understanding if/when Noveske installs them, they add an anti-rotation pin. I would assume this pin sets the relationship of the rail to the upper. For those that have handled one, was there any cant, however slight?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    I have a question regarding the mounting of the NSR in relation to the upper.

How does the alignment between the NSR and the upper's rail happen? Is it a function of the timing of the NSR's barrel nut? Is there a slight fine tuning that can happen when attaching the body of the rail to the barrel nut?

I'm kind of demanding that the upper's rail be in perfect alignment with the rail. I have built quite a few uppers, and the only two that really lined up perfectly where a DD RIS-II and a Vltor MUR. So I would expect there may be a slight difference in overal dimensions of the rail. I would expect this difference to be equal on both sides of the receiver with no detectable cant.

That being said, I was considering buying a NSR equipped upper from Noveske. It's my understanding if/when Noveske installs them, they add an anti-rotation pin. I would assume this pin sets the relationship of the rail to the upper. For those that have handled one, was there any cant, however slight?
    That's all up to the installer. My two NSRs, installed by me, have absolutely ZERO cant - they're perfect. It's mainly the barrel nut timing that gets it where it needs to be. There's a very slight amount of play within the 6 mounting screw holes that can help you out, but not much. There's really no way to mess up the install. And yes, Noveske's factory pinned uppers will be aligned perfectly as well.

Don't worry - buy with confidence. The NSR really is the shiznit. Except for a rear QD socket - that my only complaint.

Here's some pics of my NSR 9 lined up - my 11 looks the exact same.

Last edited by Brahmzy; 06-19-12 at 22:43.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    What brand upper is that?

I was wanting a upper built with a Vltor MUR, NSR and 16" NST barrel, and AAC Brakeout. It would probably be cheaper just to buy a built one, but it would probably be later disassembled so I can have the MUR and maybe the NSR Cerakoted to match my Noveske lower.

The rear QD thing doesn't bother me. I had QD sockets on my URX III and I wish they were farther forward. I ended up going with a Magpul RSA to work with my MS3 sling. I would really like to see a RSA type hookup for the NSR, but something you could side mount like the Magpul adapters for the MOE.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brahmzy View Post
    That's all up to the installer. My two NSRs, installed by me, have absolutely ZERO cant - they're perfect. It's mainly the barrel nut timing that gets it where it needs to be. There's a very slight amount of play within the 6 mounting screw holes that can help you out, but not much. There's really no way to mess up the install. And yes, Noveske's factory pinned uppers will be aligned perfectly as well.

Don't worry - buy with confidence. The NSR really is the shiznit. Except for a rear QD socket - that my only complaint.

Here's some pics of my NSR 9 lined up - my 11 looks the exact same.
    Ditto for me as well. I've installed three of these on MURs without a hitch. All align perfectly, but I make sure this is the case when I'm torquing the barrel nut. I torque to a min of 35 ft lbs and begin checking alignment with a Brownells hanguard alignment tool.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Noveske NSR QD mounts are in stock!

We also have the VLTOR/NOVESKE upper receivers (with the anti-rotation hole in them) for sale (only available in a build though).

C4

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 06-25-12 at 11:32.

Feedback Score
    Finished my 13.5" NSR rail with 14.5" Douglas barrel

Last edited by TRUST8383; 06-25-12 at 14:23.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Was the lettering on the upper done after the Gunkote?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    There are a lot more KeyMod products being worked on that are not public yet. I expect to see a KeyMod VFG.

The most overlooked feature on the NSR handguard are the ribs that run on the inside. They increase rigidity, increase barrel nut contact, but most importantly for this topic are designed to fit the MOE rail section backing plates.

While a MOE rail section lacks the front mounting, non-removable mounting hardware, self aligning, and recoil lug of our KeyMod rail section it's a very cost effective option to mount something like a VFG that won't be moved/removed much.
    Have you personally tried to mount MOE gear on the NSR? First, you have to cut the bolts down because the NSR is so narrow, the stock MOE mounting bolts will bottom out onto your barrel. Then, it is a HUGE pain in the ass getting the backing plate to stay put while you try to start the threads on the mounting bolt. It really takes three hands and a tool of some sort to stick through the slots of the NSR to attempt in foul-mouthed vain to keep that damned plate in the right effing place. (You might be able to tell I've had to move my VFG a few times to get it in the place I want it.)

Seriously, if you guys figured out a trick for this, let us know. Otherwise, I think most people will not have the patience to use MOE rails and stuff on the NSR. What would be better is if you offer the NSR backing nut and bolt separately so that people could convert their MOE rails to work better.

Any chance of this?
    Last edited by Quiet Riot; 06-26-12 at 08:59.

Page 38 of 139 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888138 ... LastLast