Page 39 of 139 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast

Thread: New Noveske NSR rail!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiet Riot View Post
    Have you personally tried to mount MOE gear on the NSR? First, you have to cut the bolts down because the NSR is so narrow, the stock MOE mounting bolts will bottom out onto your barrel. Then, it is a HUGE pain in the ass getting the backing plate to stay put while you try to start the threads on the mounting bolt. It really takes three hands and a tool of some sort to stick through the slots of the NSR to attempt in foul-mouthed vain to keep that damned plate in the right effing place. (You might be able to tell I've had to move my VFG a few times to get it in the place I want it.)

Seriously, if you guys figured out a trick for this, let us know. Otherwise, I think most people will not have the patience to use MOE rails and stuff on the NSR. What would be better is if you offer the NSR backing nut and bolt separately so that people could convert their MOE rails to work better.

Any chance of this?
    Great idea - Noveske could sell their own "MOE-Type" backing plates with shortened screws. I have installed MOE rail sections, and yeah, it's kind of a pain, but as we move to tubular setups vs. rails, some of this is to be expected.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The way the nuts interact with the rail section is not that simple. The nut goes up into the rail in an oblong hole, this keeps the nut from rotating so it can be tightened. We can't just put the KeyMod nut on the MOE rail sections but I can see about offering MOE rail sections with shorter screws.

I know how difficult it is to install rail sections with separate backing plates, it's why we designed something better. The MOE rails are an option, cheaper but not as easy to install.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    The way the nuts interact with the rail section is not that simple. The nut goes up into the rail in an oblong hole, this keeps the nut from rotating so it can be tightened. We can't just put the KeyMod nut on the MOE rail sections but I can see about offering MOE rail sections with shorter screws.

I know how difficult it is to install rail sections with separate backing plates, it's why we designed something better. The MOE rails are an option, cheaper but not as easy to install.
    Another reason I like the MOE rail sections is they are extremely lightweight polymer. Load up too many metal rail sections on there any we're back to square one on the weight thing. I can totally deal with a one-time inconvenience mounting a semi-permanent accessory - no problem. All I'd like are shorter screws without having to bust out the saws n files and risk cross-threading crap.

Feedback Score
    The only Magpul rail I use is the one that comes with the VFG. What makes it better than the NSR rail sections is:
    1. It is lower profile, so the VFG sits more flush to the handguard.
    2. It is exactly the length of the VFG, so your hand transitions from the NSR handguard direction to the VFG. You don't have to deal with grabbing onto the front edge of the NSR rail when shooting the modified Magpul "firehose" method that uses the VFG as a large handstop.

So, it is not about cost. It is about features. I guess until there is a direct attach NSR VFG, users are going to have no choice but to make due with imperfect solutions.
    Last edited by Quiet Riot; 06-26-12 at 10:29.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiet Riot View Post
    1. It is lower profile, so the VFG sits more flush to the handguard.
    Yes, the MOE IS lower-pro, and it's got nice soft bevels on either side. The 5-slot fit close to the rail and my TD stubby's fit them perfectly.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    They are the same height, minimum 1913 spec clearance under the rail.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    They are the same height, minimum 1913 spec clearance under the rail.
    The mini rail section that comes with the MOE VFG is quite intentionally NOT 1913 spec. It is lower profile to allow the VFG to rest nearly flush when mounted on an MOE hand guard. It is not intended to be used with any 1913 anything other than the MOE VFG, and for that application, it works pretty darn well.

Now, because of the high BS filter that brings me to m4carbine.net, I spent the last 20 minutes getting my tools, moving my NSR rail next to the MOE mini-rail, and taking these crappy cellphone photos to show you.

The Magpul VFG mini-rail is on the left, and the NSR 5-slot rail is on the right. You can see how much lower profile the MOE mini-rail is, but it is really apparent when you mount the VFG on each.

Here is the Magpul VFG mounted on the NSR 5-slot rail. There is no position on the 5-slot rail where it doesn't hang off one side or the other. It might be hard to see, but the VFG is sticking past the rail on the right side in this photo.

There are probably many VFGs that have a smaller base that will fit fine on the NSR rail, and those that mount on one slot can mount directly in the middle. Magpul uses 2 slots for mounting its VFG, so it either has to mount in slots 2 & 3 or slots 3 & 4 of the 5-slot NSR rail.

Look specifically at the gap between the bottom of the VFG and the NSR hand guard.

Here is the Magpul VFG mounted on its included mini-rail. It is understandably a perfect fit, which is why it was worth the hassle to get it on there instead of using the NSR rail. You can see that the gap between the base of the VFG and the NSR hand guard is minimal and that there are no sharp edges pressing into your hand when you use the VFG as a large hand stop like I do.

Don't get me wrong- I love my NSR and I will be using it for future builds. However, when the system was initially announced, it was said that a VFG was not in the plans. Now, we are being told that we can expect "someone" to make a VFG, so at least we're moving in the right direction.

Instead, I feel that a direct-mount VFG for the NSR should be a priority, not just an afterthought left up to third party manufacturers. Too many people use one to make us put a rail section as an intermediate part between the VFG and the hand guard. That defeats the idea of a minimalist system.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the great pics. I'll try to get similar pics up of my Tango Down Stubby on the NSR.

So, a while back Jason Trusty from Gear Sector said the NSR was a "joint effort" between Noveske and VLTOR and he was working with them to design "KeyMod" accessories. It was one post on TOS.

I would assume that the VFG would be coming from GS, but only time will tell. Maybe all that has changed.
    Last edited by Brahmzy; 06-26-12 at 15:08.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I had not seen the rail piece you have there.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)

QD Modification.

Hey everyone.
    I picked up my NSR rail today. Damn this thing is beautiful. I did however have one complaint. I like my rails to be as slick as possible. That means no QD mount for my sling sticking out from the side. Since this rail doesn't have one built in I decided to do it myself.

I should have used the mill but since I really am learning to use it still I went with the tried and true Drill press using a carbide bit.

I expanded the rearmost slot on the rail to a full 1/2 inch. My bit skipped a bit at one point so I had to do a bit of correction.

Right now I am torn on which QD to use. Currently I have the IWC QD in there that is made for the Troy Alpha rail. However I am considering using the Noveske single slot QD also made for the Alpha.

My main concern is the open space at the front of the hole. I feel the Noveske may distribute the pressure of the sling a bit better. Thoughts?

Anyway, here are the results.

Last edited by kwelz; 06-26-12 at 17:57.

Page 39 of 139 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast