Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vltor MUR vs LaRue Stealth Upper Receivers?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfighter.45 View Post
    Once agin for the people who second guess, you can not buy them from Larue directly,but you can get the from GTS and I belive there is another company out there.BUT these companies add them were as the, Vltor comes with them from factory.
    Well how about this I'm not second guessing you, you are just wrong. The companies that sell Larue Stealth uppers with the M4 feed ramps don't add them,they are made that way at Larue. Let me guess you looked on Larue's website and couldn't find them so that ended your futile attempt at researching the item, and declared that the ramps must be done in house by the people that build them?

I don't work for Larue, but I do own some of their stuff. I also don't work for Vltor but I own some of their stuff. I have no dog in this argument other than I hate to see people talk out of their ___, and spread inaccuracies on the errornet.

Both are good products and both receivers are probably designed better than what ANY end user realistically needs, IMO.
    Last edited by ErikL; 01-02-08 at 16:36. Reason: I didn't want to seem so abrasive.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Once agin for the people who second guess, you can not buy them from Larue directly,but you can get the from GTS and I belive there is another company out there.BUT these companies add them, were as the Vltor comes with them from factory.
    I have an complete upper straight from MSTN with a factory cut M4 Stealth. MSTN did NOT add the M4 ramps. Additionally, I spoke with Denny at GTS while the very first M4 cut Stealths were arriving as he was working on a build for me and was told that LaRue added the M4 cuts at his request and that of others (Noveske, MSTN...).
    Blake

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Once agin for the people who second guess, you can not buy them from Larue directly,but you can get the from GTS and I belive there is another company out there.BUT these companies add them, were as the Vltor comes with them from factory.

I purchased my LaRue Stealth upper directly from LaRue (late 2006 / early 2007).

My upper came directly from LaRue Tactical with M4 feed ramps.

-Jeff

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikL View Post
    Well how about this I'm not second guessing you, you are just wrong. The companies that sell Larue Stealth uppers with the M4 feed ramps don't add them,they are made that way at Larue. Let me guess you looked on Larue's website and couldn't find them so that ended your futile attempt at researching the item, and declared that the ramps must be done in house by the people that build them?

I don't work for Larue, but I do own some of their stuff. I also don't work for Vltor but I own some of their stuff. I have no dog in this argument other than I hate to see people talk out of their ___, and spread inaccuracies on the errornet.

Both are good products and both receivers are probably designed better than what ANY end user realistically needs, IMO.
    My apologies to everyone on this matter.Didn't mean to talk out my a@$,My mistake.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    This is incorrect. We stock the Stealth with M4 cuts and we get them that way DIRECT from LT.

C4

Feedback Score
    Not to confuse things further, but would either of these brands be as accurate as the JP Billet Upper?

Using the race car analogy, JP is the race company extraordinaire when it comes to ARs and I know there stuff is the best for race accuracy; question I have is: how do these other two brands compare to the JP as far as accurate is concerned? Anyone do a comparison? If not, maybe a 3way test is in order? I think a test would be hard though, unless the same barrel/load were used for each upper. Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TY44934 View Post
    Not to confuse things further, but would either of these brands be as accurate as the JP Billet Upper?

Using the race car analogy, JP is the race company extraordinaire when it comes to ARs and I know there stuff is the best for race accuracy; question I have is: how do these other two brands compare to the JP as far as accurate is concerned? Anyone do a comparison? If not, maybe a 3way test is in order? I think a test would be hard though, unless the same barrel/load were used for each upper. Thoughts?
    Douglas,
    I've assembled some very accurate rifles using standard forged upper receivers. I assembled one for co-worker Pete (member cavscout here) that shot .220" groups at 100yds with 60gr VMAX (Black Hills red box). IIRC it was a standard rifle ramped forged Bushmaster upper receiver. It was a 20" stainless Wilson barrel with a LaRue 12" rail, TTi brake, YHM flip front sight gas block, standard Bushy AR15 carrier, bolt and CH. He wasn't even using a great scope mount, he had a cheap riser (YHM I think) and Burris rings with a Leupold scope. Some friends of his that are bolt gun match shooters were extremely impressed with the accuracy of that rifle traded him a bolt action McMillan .50 (he had to add some cash too) but he got it for a steal.

Would his AR have been even more accurate with a billet upper receiver? Maybe. But I think pretty much the planets were aligned on that one and it really wasn't going to get any better. I just did the few tweaks I do when assembling a SPR type AR. Things like lapping the upper receiver, checking the crown, red Loc-Tite the bbl extension into the receiver and bedding the gas block in green Loc-Tite, using about 15-20ft lbs of torque on the muzzle device and using Rocksett to secure it.....................it worked.

To be quite honest I like the billet receivers, but mainly for looks. I don't think most people are capable enough shooters to even see the increased accuracy that they give. If one is using a rigid scope mount like a LaRue, ADM, KAC, ArmaLite etc where the mount is reinforcing the upper receiver reducing the flex I don't think a billet is going to much more.

Robb

Here's Pete at Quantico Range 305 shooting that rifle I mentioned.

Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Thank you for the explanation Rob. Effectively then, the accuracy difference between these three uppers and a mil-spec flat top is the same for 99.9% of users and scenarios. A bench-rest competitor might "need" a billet upper. But, for everyone else, it comes down to:

-looks.

Since its about looks, I though this thread could benefit from pictures to illustrate hos these three uppers look and their cost over the mil spec parts:

The Vltor: $199-$229

LaRue Stealth (tactical) $249

The JP site does not list their billet upper as a stripped part.

In contrast, the latest flat tops come with an important feature: "T" reference marks in high contrast white paint over hard coat cold anodizing; I found these at many locations and on average, the cost for the latest was:

$78.

Photo could not be posted, but here is a link to one retailer's photo:

http://www.del-ton.com/AR_15_Uppers_Flat_Top_s/91.htm

For the price of a billet upper, its possible to buy 3 mil-spec uppers. Or, you could buy 1 mil spec upper and a BCG. But the main advantage to the billet upper other than a possible smidgen of extra accuracy is:

-looks.

If there is another advantage to these uppers that justifies paying 3x the price of a mil-spec, please clue me in. I do agree, however, the billet uppers do look nice.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TY44934 View Post
    Thank you for the explanation Rob. Effectively then, the accuracy difference between these three uppers and a mil-spec flat top is the same for 99.9% of users and scenarios. A bench-rest competitor might "need" a billet upper. But, for everyone else, it comes down to:

-looks.

Since its about looks, I though this thread could benefit from pictures to illustrate hos these three uppers look and their cost over the mil spec parts:

The Vltor: $199-$229

LaRue Stealth (tactical) $249

The JP site does not list their billet upper as a stripped part.

In contrast, the latest flat tops come with an important feature: "T" reference marks in high contrast white paint over hard coat cold anodizing; I found these at many locations and on average, the cost for the latest was:

$78.

Photo could not be posted, but here is a link to one retailer's photo:

http://www.del-ton.com/AR_15_Uppers_Flat_Top_s/91.htm

For the price of a billet upper, its possible to buy 3 mil-spec uppers. Or, you could buy 1 mil spec upper and a BCG. But the main advantage to the billet upper other than a possible smidgen of extra accuracy is:

-looks.

If there is another advantage to these uppers that justifies paying 3x the price of a mil-spec, please clue me in. I do agree, however, the billet uppers do look nice.

I am willing to bet that just about all forged upper receivers are canted in some way. Remember that this is a $35 dollar item to produce (if that much). What billet uppers provide you with is a true and square rail. While I don't think this matters much when installing a 1X optic, I think it does matter when putting something with magnification on it.

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 01-06-08 at 13:12.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123