Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AR stocks on AK's...sacrilege or useful modification?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I thought god no way until I saw the pics above that black AK is a cut above.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by helothar View Post
    I hope this is not getting too off topic here, but has anyone put a beryl stock on their AK?
    The Beryl is just an AK variant

Yes, people have put Beryl stocks onto non-Beryl AKs. It's drop-in, just like a Romanian, Polish, or East German folding stock (but better).

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Very cool Canonshooter - I also have a 103K style rifle, only mine was done by Chris Butler/AK USA

Here's how its configured now, I'll post another pic when I change the stock

Feedback Score
    Cannon - great shots! I like the comp pics a lot and it helps illustrate why you did it.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydkristmas View Post
    Very cool Canonshooter - I also have a 103K style rifle, only mine was done by Chris Butler/AK USA
    Nice stick! Isn't it amazing how a competent 'smith can take a Kalashnikov and turn it into a perfectly assembled, perfectly functional thing of beauty?

FWIW, if I were you I'd leave your stock set up just as it is. I think the conversion I did only makes sense if you're stuck with a fixed stock that doesn't fit the shooter well - and even then it may not be everyone's cup of tea.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 96 SS View Post
    Cannon - great shots! I like the comp pics a lot and it helps illustrate why you did it.
    Thanks!

BTW (and this is completely on-topic), I was seriously intersted in your mount. But something I did not foresee occured with the ACE conversion.

The hinge on the folding mechanism is quite large - large enough that I could no longer slide on my "modified" BP-02 mount! The mount was simply too long and hit the hinge before I could slide it on to the rail. It was a major slap-the-forehead moment for me and I ended up running an Ultimak for a while.

What MI did with their mount solved the problem; the bottom of the rail channel (where the latch mechanism is) does not have a bevel, and the mount itself is no longer than the actual rail. With the MI, I can catch the mount on the rail and slide it on with just enough room to spare.

I mention this so that those reading this thread be aware that the ACE folder mechanism can interfere with sliding an optic mount onto the rail. With the design of the Saiga rail (full height only in the center) and MI mount, I'm back in biz with having the optic where I prefer it.

BTW, I was able to modify the BP-02 so that it could be installed. But at 11.4 ounces and no co-witness, I never went back to it.
    Last edited by Canonshooter; 01-26-12 at 16:47.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Canonshooter View Post
    The mount was simply too long and hit the hinge before I could slide it on to the rail.
    This can be solved by making it fold the other way, right? I think I saw that somewhere....

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CumbiaDude View Post
    This can be solved by making it fold the other way, right? I think I saw that somewhere....
    Not with the FSM-AR (A504) - it's fold-to-the-left only. Their standard FSM (A500) is reversible.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Your setup looks great, Canonshooter. I was actually trying to find your old post earlier this week (I remember seeing the picture of your rifle leaning against the tree from a while ago). To avoid adding extra weight though, has anyone ever cut down a Warsaw length stock?

I have thought about it ever since I saw this post about shortening a 930 stock:
    http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...?f=58&t=211354

I've made this pic in GIMP using your pictures to visualize for myself how a cut down Magpul rubber buttpad would look attached to a shortened Warsaw length stock (The Warsaw stock really bothers me when attempting to shoot prone with the magazine as a monopod):

The pad would need to be sanded down and refinished like this guy did with his SLP:
    http://www.brianenos.com/forums/inde...owtopic=116328

Edit: I don't own any Magpul stocks, but now that I look at one of your pics it appears the AK stock would be too wide at one point for the Magpul pad to fit. Maybe an IMOD pad?
    http://www.vltorstore.com/products/IMOD-Buttpad.html
    Last edited by Mike Miller; 01-26-12 at 17:55.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thumbs up

Cannonshooter, very detailed pics thank for sharing. That is a fine looking stick you have there.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast