Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AR stocks on AK's...sacrilege or useful modification?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ghengis Khan View Post
    I've made this pic in GIMP using your pictures to visualize for myself how a cut down Magpul rubber buttpad would look attached to a shortened Warsaw length stock (The Warsaw stock really bothers me when attempting to shoot prone with the magazine as a monopod):
    Bob, it might be worth experimenting with if you have an extra stock to cut. Of course, a wood stock should be easy to shorten and have a pad installed on.

With the plastic stock, I'm not sure there would be anything left to run the butt cap screws into. I guess you could epoxy something in there to secure the plate or pad.

It would be great if someone offered AK-style entry-length fixed stocks that could installed without modification. With all the good stuff we're now seeing for the AK maybe it will happen.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    Cannonshooter, very detailed pics thank for sharing. That is a fine looking stick you have there.
    My pleasure, and thanks!
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    Very nice AK and beautifull pictures Sir.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I know this thread is old and it's getting resurrected.

Well, I have a rifle dynamics stock adapter for my Saiga. I can't decide whether I want to mount a CTR stock on the rifle OR an STR. I have an STR on my BCM carbine, and I love the way it emulates the SOPMOD stock. On an AR, I wouldn't have it any other way. That being said, I wonder if the STR's benefits carry over to an AK.

Does anyone have any experience having an STR on their AK? Can you have a good cheekweld and see the standard iron sights? What about optics?

Thanks
    http://parrotheadjeff.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/Shooter-Jack-rkba.gif

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    I know this thread is old and it's getting resurrected.

Well, I have a rifle dynamics stock adapter for my Saiga. I can't decide whether I want to mount a CTR stock on the rifle OR an STR. I have an STR on my BCM carbine, and I love the way it emulates the SOPMOD stock. On an AR, I wouldn't have it any other way. That being said, I wonder if the STR's benefits carry over to an AK.

Does anyone have any experience having an STR on their AK? Can you have a good cheekweld and see the standard iron sights? What about optics?

Thanks
    Your RD adapter will place your cheek higher and make it difficult to use the irons, but not impossible. Your choice of butt stock is just a personal preference; I dislike stocks like the STR with a large surface area for the cheek weld. YMMV.

The RD adapter works beautifully on my Vepr 12 w/ RMR. The adapter shines when using optics, especially with the Arsenal SM13 rail with RMR, Accupoint, and Aimpoint Micro with standard low pro mounts. That has been my experience.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I had an STR on my Saiga AK. Its fine with iron sights, but if you mount an optic/RDS on using a side-mounted rail the optic will seem high. At least that's my experience.

That is not an issue of the stock, but of the AK mounting system. If you mount an optic on the front gas tube or use a dust cover mounted rail, you should be fine.

I love the STR stocks and is my preferred stock. The ACS is a close second.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Instead of creating a new thread I thought I'd toss this out there. I'm in no way affiliated with this company but I was looking around for an adapter for my AK that wouldn't add much length to it when assembled. Canis Design Group has a promising looking adapter for non folding stocks. The rear tang slides into the buffer tube when installed so if you ever want to go back to stock, you can. http://www.canisdesigngroup.com/ak-t...k-adapter.html I think I might give this a try. I like the ACE folding adapter but I don't know how I would like the hinge sticking out like it does.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JusticeM4 View Post
    I had an STR on my Saiga AK. Its fine with iron sights, but if you mount an optic/RDS on using a side-mounted rail the optic will seem high. At least that's my experience.

That is not an issue of the stock, but of the AK mounting system. If you mount an optic on the front gas tube or use a dust cover mounted rail, you should be fine.

I love the STR stocks and is my preferred stock. The ACS is a close second.
    I was/am going for the RS Regulate 301 and an Aimpoint, most likely a PRO. This is not as high as a normal side mount. Would it still be a problem?
    http://parrotheadjeff.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/Shooter-Jack-rkba.gif

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 86K5 View Post
    Instead of creating a new thread I thought I'd toss this out there. I'm in no way affiliated with this company but I was looking around for an adapter for my AK that wouldn't add much length to it when assembled. Canis Design Group has a promising looking adapter for non folding stocks. The rear tang slides into the buffer tube when installed so if you ever want to go back to stock, you can. http://www.canisdesigngroup.com/ak-t...k-adapter.html I think I might give this a try. I like the ACE folding adapter but I don't know how I would like the hinge sticking out like it does.
    The hinge didn't bother me on the one I had. I just hated it not locking in the folded position. Other than that it was solid as could be.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    CanonShooter, I think I've finally decided to cut the tang off my rifle and install an ACE folder. I'll be following your example of trimming the buffer tube.

I've looked at your images a LOT using google for quite some time and only just now found this thread here, so I wanted to say "thank you".
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Alliance Shoothouse, YSINTG, Carbine 1, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast