Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the ideal length for a 357 for home defense?

Feedback Score

What is the ideal length for a 357 for home defense?

I have 4" barreled 357s. If I opt to target practice or carry, it does the job.

I saw a gun that I want. It has a 6" barrel. What advantages or differences will I get with a longer barrel? Improved accuracy? To what distance? Improved handling of recoil? For a wife?

iPad/Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    sight radius and velocity increase with barrel length. Not sure where this tops out, but i would suspect that a 6" barrel will give quite a bit (100fps?) higher velocity than 4" with 357. 357 seems to like a longer barrel.
    keep in mind that a longer barrel will be a little slower out of a holster all else being equal.

Feedback Score
    I think the 4" barreled .357 would be better handling for your wife.

You'll need a different excuse to justify it to her. LOL

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I prefer snubs myself, far less for an attacker to hang on to if things are close and ugly.

Handguns are for me, among other things, an answer the door and see who's there kind of gun.

Feedback Score
    Is it going to be a bedside gun, something you carry concealed, or be in a pistol belt? If its being concealed such as pocket carry around the house then I would lean to a snubby for the ease of it but accuracy (not likely an issue for the most part) and power will lack. Pistol belt, night stand, safe, or what ever then I lean towards the longer barrels such as 6" but probably wouldn't go to much over that although even up in the 8" range is doable.
    Luck is awesome. The more proficient you are at what you do the luckier you seem to be.

Do what you love and love what you do.

Shooter and survivalist by hobby.

Feedback Score
    I use Glocks to conceal.

The home defense gun is a Smith & Wesson 8 shot performance center 627 and 12 gauge semi auto shotgun.

This was intended for just targets at long distances. 75-100-150 yards.

Lifetime NRA Member

Feedback Score
    In terms of velocity and energy it is to my understanding that certain loads like a lot of the 125 grain ones are pretty optimized for 4" so not to much difference going to the 6" where it is about 100fps depending on the exact load and gun but heavier rounds such as 158-180+ get a larger boost in velocity and consequent energy, either way you get more velocity and what it brings with it.

Outside of that as others have mentioned the sight radius will be greater making accurate aim easier, should be easier to control/lower recoil, less muzzle blast, etc. Should be the better option for hunting and target shooting, only real disadvantages in that regard is being a little more front heavy so might be harder for some to aim or carry for long.
    Luck is awesome. The more proficient you are at what you do the luckier you seem to be.

Do what you love and love what you do.

Shooter and survivalist by hobby.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    In my experience, you'll see an average change of 15-30 fps per inch of barrel with the same load.

Okie John
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    He wants something par-full. But not too par-full.

Feedback Score
    4" barrel would work great.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CDR_Glock View Post
    I use Glocks to conceal.

The home defense gun is a Smith & Wesson 8 shot performance center 627 and 12 gauge semi auto shotgun.

This was intended for just targets at long distances. 75-100-150 yards.

Lifetime NRA Member
    For the original question 4 inches is pretty standard for a fighting revolver.

Nothing wrong with a revolver however your better off using the Glock for both roles. You probably shoot it better, it holds more ammo and in a home defense situation your not likely to have a reload available so whats in the gun is all your going to have and 8 is not enough for me.
    Pat
    Last edited by Alaskapopo; 01-27-12 at 03:08.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast