Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who are the top ten 1911 manufacturers?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ~kev~ View Post
    Springfield
    Kimber
    Remington
    Rock Island
    Wilson

due to colt suspending sales to the general public several years ago, colt is not an option, at least to me anyway.
    Kimber? I find that they are some of the less reliable 1911's out there. They shouldn't even be considered in the top 10.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TacMedic556 View Post
    Tim from Black Ops Precision (Custom)
    Wilson Combat
    Ed Brown
    Nighthawk
    Baer
    Colt
    Springfield

I own and shoot a Colt. I sold a Nighthawk. I owned a Kimber 8 years ago and sold it after watching several fail on the SWAT range. MIM parts and the external extractor on the TLE Kimber were a joke as far as a 1911 of any quality. For the Cost Springfield is much better.

My opinion. There really are not 10 best. More like 5 or 6. There are some other small quality Custom shops out there.
    +1
    I especially agree on the assessment of Kimber.
    It matches my own experience with the brand.

But they do have pretty ads in all of the gun rags!

DAT85

Feedback Score

Kimber pro carry-2

Problems out of the box .

extractor so tight it could not overide recoil spring to chamber next rd.

took apart. safety broke.

after spending $ 450.00 on all new bullet proof internals from wilson combat 120.00 on WC dvd's. And a extra $80.00 for the two safety's I messed up because it was my first time.

I would not part with it now.
    functions flawlessly.
    I've got 2 1/2 groups at 25yds resting of course.

Just a little over 800. rds. And no problems.

So if your thinking( KIMBER, REMEMBER) you'll need to spend a extra 600.00 on good internals; and pay a good gunsmith to put it together for you.I dont know what that would cost since I did it myself.But I spent a extra 80.00 just for mistakes.

Go with SA.Good choice.If you can affford it go Wilson Combat.
    Had one in 1992 best gun I've ever owned.

Hope this helps ; and you dont have to learn from your mistakes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Reagans Rascals View Post
    Dave Berryhill is number 1 in my book.

MEUSOC Replica
    Dave Berryhill isn't a manufacturer. I do like his builds a lot though. Too bad he doesn't build the MEUSOC replica anymore.

Springfield
    Kimber
    Remington
    Rock Island
    Wilson

due to colt suspending sales to the general public several years ago, colt is not an option, at least to me anyway.
    I heard/read/saw plenty of rumors about that several times over the years (first in 1989) and don't remember it ever actually happening.
    Last edited by Redmanfms; 02-03-12 at 16:49.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Springfield
    Kimber
    Remington
    Rock Island
    Wilson
    LOL, good one. Oh wait, you're serious....
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Ones you can readily buy are:

Ed Brown
    Les Baer
    Nighthawk
    Dan Wesson
    Wilson
    Springfield
    Colt

Sorry, that's only 7...there aren't 10. I'd say the best bang for your buck is Dan Wesson then Les Baer.
    Last edited by ColdDeadHands; 02-03-12 at 21:20.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by newguy View Post
    Problems out of the box .

extractor so tight it could not overide recoil spring to chamber next rd.

took apart. safety broke.

after spending $ 450.00 on all new bullet proof internals from wilson combat 120.00 on WC dvd's. And a extra $80.00 for the two safety's I messed up because it was my first time.

I would not part with it now.
    functions flawlessly.
    I've got 2 1/2 groups at 25yds resting of course.

Just a little over 800. rds. And no problems.

So if your thinking( KIMBER, REMEMBER) you'll need to spend a extra 600.00 on good internals; and pay a good gunsmith to put it together for you.I dont know what that would cost since I did it myself.But I spent a extra 80.00 just for mistakes.

Go with SA.Good choice.If you can affford it go Wilson Combat.
    Had one in 1992 best gun I've ever owned.

Hope this helps ; and you dont have to learn from your mistakes.

This is a bit misleading...you had to replace all the internals because the extractor was tight? Which internals failed? Wilson did not make complete Wilson named guns till the 1996A1 in 1996 as far as I know...and Kimber made those frames and slides for them. You may have had a Colt or something that was rebuilt/customized from Wilson however. And the internals in the 1996A1 and other early Wilsons were MIM too.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'm not completely sure that I would list Dan Wesson on here. I like their guns, but when I tried to buy a VBOB last year, I went to 8 different stores and handled at least 12 guns and all except for one of them was "riding the link" and had poor-very poor barrel lockup. If it was a $600 gun, that's not unheard of, but $1500 should buy more.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Note: This is pretty subjective, but I'm combining manufacturers and 1911 custom makers. The idea being, these are the "top 10 sources" I'd choose for getting a 1911, regardless whether production or custom made. Not in any particular order, but these are the 10 that I prefer the most, I don't necessarily think these are the "best" in the sense that they'd beat all others in absolute quality. There are many other good custom makers who could have been in this list who build stuff of equal quality, but some of those I omitted build very high-priced, "pretty" 1911's for instance, which I am less interested in.

Springfield (mainly their Pro, TRP, Operator, and custom lines)
    Cylinder and Slide
    Wilson
    Dave Erickson
    Dave Berryfield
    Ed Brown
    Colt
    Les Baer
    John Harrison
    Chuck Rogers
    Last edited by maximus83; 02-09-12 at 14:12.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mike240 View Post
    This is a bit misleading...you had to replace all the internals because the extractor was tight? Which internals failed? Wilson did not make complete Wilson named guns till the 1996A1 in 1996 as far as I know...and Kimber made those frames and slides for them. You may have had a Colt or something that was rebuilt/customized from Wilson however. And the internals in the 1996A1 and other early Wilsons were MIM too.
    I didnt say that I got it from wilson. Its a kimber pro carry 2.
    after the extractor was tuned I just decided to change out all mim parts,with wilson combat bullet proof parts .Simply because i dont want a part to go bad ,or break like I told you the safety did when taking it out to start my parts replacement.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast