Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Who are the top ten 1911 manufacturers?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Springfield
    Springfield
    Springfield
    Springfield
    Nighthawk
    Wilson
    Eddie Brown
    Colt
    Springfield
    Springfield
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    A great option for what? Plinking and competition maybe, duty/CCW not so much...and a Para double stack?
    Agree. I have not OWNED a Para, but have seen so many plagued with troubles and unreliability, I pretty much decided that they were not for serious use. Comps maybe, where the double-stack models would be an advantage.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Springfield
    Springfield
    Springfield
    Springfield
    Nighthawk
    Wilson
    Eddie Brown
    Colt
    Springfield
    Springfield
    I concur.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My Kimber Custom II has functioned flawlessly. That's not with a few rounds every month either. I have put at least 5000-5500 rnds through it in groups of anywhere from 500 to 1000 rounds at a time. I have maybe cleaned it 3 times. I love it.

Having said that...Kimber is pretty poopy in other departments. The finish on this gun is terrible. My fingers have RUBBED most of the finish off of the front strap, and my hand has rubbed it off of the grip safety. I replaced the plastic mainspring housing with a steel one. Not a bid fan of plastic parts on a 1911, but I am sure the plastic one would have performed fine.

BUT...for the $750 that I paid for it, I am fine with it. I carry it with confidence. Is it the best 1911 out there? No. But, mine works. I may have gotten lucky and bought a "good one" and I am fine with that.
    Last edited by Animal_Mother556; 03-08-12 at 06:56.
    -

Evey -- Are you like a...crazy person?
    V -- I'm quite sure they will say so.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And, I'm not sure about the universe" -- Einstein

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    You really cannot judge an entire brand by an example of one.

Many of us see kimber pistols in shooting schools or in all 1911 classes and know that they are just not a good pistol.

C4
    Grant,

Not sure if I missed it somewhere..I'd be curious to know your opinions on 1911s?
    "Amateurs study tactics. Professionals study logistics."

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfkudla View Post
    Grant,

Not sure if I missed it somewhere..I'd be curious to know your opinions on 1911s?
    I really only have experience with Wilson Combat (personally owning and building from parts kit) and seeing broken Kimbers.

Talking with more experienced 1911 folks, WC is king. Springfield custom shop does an excellent job and Colt is producing probably the best 1911's in their history.

I also think that the S&W E-Series are a great value as well.

C4

Feedback Score
    Springfield
    Springfield
    Springfield
    Springfield
    Nighthawk
    Wilson
    Eddie Brown
    Colt
    Springfield
    Springfield
    As a newbie to the forum I should probably keep quiet, but I sent yet another Springfield back for warranty repair just yesterday. SA quality control has really gone down the tubes. The only way I would put Springfield on par with Wilson, Brown, Nighthawk, etc. would be if you ran the gun through the SA Custom Shop and flat demanded some decent fit and finish.

...and Colt is producing probably the best 1911's in their history.
    That's what I keep hearing. I almost picked up a Talo Colt CCO this month. But once again Colt proves to be a crap shoot. The gun was nothing more than a $600.00 parts bin piece with a premium price tag. What a shame. On the flip side, some of their current line models are pretty decent for the price.
    Last edited by Ankeny; 03-08-12 at 09:49.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Springfield
    Springfield
    Springfield
    Springfield
    Nighthawk
    Wilson
    Eddie Brown
    Colt
    Springfield
    Springfield
    This, but I would add Dan Wesson

Feedback Score
    I dont think I could come up with 10 that I would buy or build on. But here goes.

Springfield
    Colt

That covers the ones I would buy as a base gun to build or have worked over, but either one I would want to have in my hands before spending the cash. Lately I have seen terrible examples from both. It seems hit or miss but when you hit on a good one they are really nice.

The ones Id buy with the intentions of leaving alone.

Springfield Custom Shop
    Les Baer
    Ed Brown
    Wilson

Thats it and in no particular order, except I would have to be able to look over the Brown before I bought it as well.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ankeny View Post
    As a newbie to the forum I should probably keep quiet, but I sent yet another Springfield back for warranty repair just yesterday. SA quality control has really gone down the tubes. The only way I would put Springfield on par with Wilson, Brown, Nighthawk, etc. would be if you ran the gun through the SA Custom Shop and flat demanded some decent fit and finish.

That's what I keep hearing. I almost picked up a Talo Colt CCO this month. But once again Colt proves to be a crap shoot. The gun was nothing more than a $600.00 parts bin piece with a premium price tag. What a shame. On the flip side, some of their current line models are pretty decent for the price.

That is Talo's fault (not Colt) for the high price.

C4

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast