Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help IDing 12g round.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Help IDing 12g round.

Can anyone help ID this round? Manufacturer and type?

It's a 2 3/4" 12g round. The yellow part is hard plastic.

Last edited by TACAV; 01-30-12 at 21:17.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    LTL munition of some sort. No markings?
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    If your not concerned with destroying it, you could always just cut it open and see what type of load is inside. If you do and its something interesting snap some pics please.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    LTL munition of some sort. No markings?
    What you see is what you get lol, thats what I thought too. Some sort of baton round maybe.

and Turducken if no one can figure it out I might just do that.
    Last edited by TACAV; 01-31-12 at 00:11.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks to some help we got it figured out. It is a Polyshock hybrid slug.

It is not a less than lethal round. It was designed for police SWAT to have a non over penetrating slug for use inside houses etc.

http://www.defensereview.com/polysho...s-and-le-swat/

The company brought this out in 2005 and it is no longer in business.

Feedback Score

Interesting because of the yellow color

Throughout the world, the convention has been to use the yellow color casing only for 20 gauge rounds. I don't know exactly when this convention started, but it pretty universal. It is all too easy to drop a 20 gauge shell into a 12 gauge double gun, with explosive results when a 12 gauge round is placed in the barrel next.

No surprise this company is out of business.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Those dont work too well in a choked barrel. just my .02

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I think marketing decicions, more then color lead to Polyshock folding. They chose to only market to the LE/Mil. Doing sustainable ammo Bussniess with DOD is very hard, especially if you have something new. Doing work specific to 12ga ammo forget it.

On the LE side they had a few agencies which used their ammo. Some seemed satisfied with the ammo. BUT, several testers like our resident expert give the ammo mixEd, to poor reviews.

In the end they couldn't get enough market share to make it. If they had gone to the civilian market also they may have survived.
    pro-patria.us

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FredBart View Post
    Throughout the world, the convention has been to use the yellow color casing only for 20 gauge rounds. I don't know exactly when this convention started, but it pretty universal. It is all too easy to drop a 20 gauge shell into a 12 gauge double gun, with explosive results when a 12 gauge round is placed in the barrel next. No surprise this company is out of business.
    Color has become less and less meaningful in the last decade. Especially in the specialty munitions, if it ever meant anything there.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    Color has become less and less meaningful in the last decade. Especially in the specialty munitions, if it ever meant anything there.
    Yes, and it drives me nuts. It used to be our slugs were red, our buck was green. Now we are getting red hulled buckshot, along with red hulled slugs, and grey hulled slugs. At one point we even had black hulled buckshot and something in blue but I can't remember if that was buck or slug.

It is bad enough for a guy to mix it up on the square range but my worry is for the guys in the field. Since the hodge-podge coloring of shotgun ammo became an issue my mantra on the range has been "feel it before you load it!", as in run your finger over the tip to feel for either the tell-tale bump of a slug or the crimp ridges of buckshot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast