Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Insights Weapon Lights

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post
    I have a WX150 and several TLR1s. the WX150 uses two separate articulating arms to activate the light in either constant or momentary mode. the TLR1 uses a rocker lever.

I am left handed and mounted on a pistol, the TLR locks into constant with a down push from the right side. mounted upside down in the 12:00 or on the left rail of an AR it works in momentary with a down push from the support side. the TLR is not suitable for me as a left-hand shooter on a pistol but is my choice for an AR.

the WX150 using two arms, works in momentary with a down push from either side and so is useful for both left and right hand use on a pistol. mounted upside down at 12:00 or on the left rail of an AR, a down push locks it in constant so, IMO, it is not a viable AR light.
    I too own both the TLR 1s and the WX150, the WX150 is a very good light but not quite as good as the TLR 1s. I think your statement is incorrect, it is not a viable AR light (but not because of your example), maybe not in the 1200 position but in other positions it is. You see the 1200 position may be the current "cool guy" way of mounting a light, but not everyone mounts their light there.

The WX150 is not a viable AR light because of it's simplistic single locking bar mounting system. It is prone to movement, and can and will fall off of the rail system because there is no true locking mechanism. I've used both locking bars on rail systems and each one moves, not matter how it is placed on the rail. They have now completely changed the mounting system because of the flaw in the original design.

The TLR 1 series at least has a locking system that prevents any movement when installed correctly.

Just a minor disagreement in how you perceived things, nothing to get stirred up about.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I see a lot of advantages to the WX150. It has the quick attach / detach rail lock system of the X300 and the paddle activation system of the TLR1. The attachment system is worse then the X300, but the activation system is fully ambidextrous whereas the TLR series isn't.

What draws me to the WX150 is the shorter overall length. It has shorter OAL then the TLR and X300. Start putting lights on a G19 or other light rail equipped compact pistol, and you will notice. I also think it is lighter, but I can weigh the lights to be sure if anyone is interested.

I also prefer the attachment method considerably to the TLR series. On the TLR series, it's really a good idea for Duty use to LocTite and Witness mark the thumb screw since they can eventually shoot loose.

As per the above post - rails vary a lot. Therefore the X300 and WX150 won't fit all rails perfectly. Some will be tight, some will have slop. The fix is to look on the top of the light (where the rail lock is and meets the dustcover) and you can see screws holding the light rail frame rails in place. There are 2 per side on the WX150 and 3 per side on the X300. Loosen these, then at inward or outward pressure to squeeze or release pressure from the rail the light will attach to. Then retighten the screws. The X300 is the gold standard for WMLs on long guns, and the WX150 uses almost the exact same attachment method. I do wish that Insight would make a dedicated rail lock for the WX150 though - a la Surefire and their prior M6 series.

I also prefer the beam of the WX150 to the TLR1. It has a nice concentrated center, good throw, and good light flood. For this, the size, and price point - I think it's a nice light. I'd rather one then a TLR1. I'd rather an X300 then either. But it's kind of splitting hairs. I also believe Streamlight to have the best Customer Service of all the WML companies. They are a real pleasure, should you unfortunately have to deal with them.

Some pics I snapped on my G19.

As you can see, there is no real advantage to running a TLR3 instead of a WX150 when worried about OAL.

My $0.02 - worth what you paid for it. Cheers.
    Last edited by Steve S.; 02-01-12 at 19:42.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm issued a WX-150 at work (initially had a Procyon) and I cant stand it. The biggest draw back to me is the independent movement of the arms. The strobe is a useless feature to me also. I'm much happeir when using TLR-1s or X300s (which I use on my personal guns).

Feedback Score
    Steve, I agree 100%.

Its interesting that so many dont like the WX150 switch. I see it as one of the big positives. The mode of operation is the same on either side of the light. Down is momentary and up is constant, on either side . Simple and consistent.

Planning on trying Insights new WL1. It uses the same switch and AA's. Very cool.

-T
    Last edited by mrtoyz; 02-01-12 at 21:40.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SW-Shooter View Post
    ...I think your statement is incorrect, it is not a viable AR light (but not because of your example), maybe not in the 1200 position but in other positions it is. You see the 1200 position may be the current "cool guy" way of mounting a light, but not everyone mounts their light there.

The WX150 is not a viable AR light because of it's simplistic single locking bar mounting system. It is prone to movement, and can and will fall off of the rail system because there is no true locking mechanism. I've used both locking bars on rail systems and each one moves, not matter how it is placed on the rail. They have now completely changed the mounting system because of the flaw in the original design.

The TLR 1 series at least has a locking system that prevents any movement when installed correctly.

Just a minor disagreement in how you perceived things, nothing to get stirred up about.
    I'm not stirred up. but let me ask where you mount your TLR1 if not the current "cool guy" location?

if you mount it at 9:00 (left rail), as I mentioned, then you still have to deal with the toggle-type switch which requires an outward push on the top lever for momentary. this is unworkable, IMO. or an inward push using the lower lever. I don't grip my gun in a way that makes accessing the lower lever useful.

If you mount at 3:00, it requires an outward push on the lower lever with a fingertip from underneath to access the momentary, which seems an ok solution. or if you grip over the top, it requires an inward pull with your thumb which, to me, is cumbersome.

the locking system of the TLR1 has been mentioned many times as a problem in that it can loosen with use. I don't consider it a problem nor do I loctite mine. I just tighten it up well and use a witness mark which I check frequently. someone here once said you should "inspect what you expect" and I etched those words on my mind.

on the other hand, the WX150 requires an outward push on either lever no matter which location it is mounted in. to me, this removes it from consideration as an AR light.

and like the Nationwide guy, on yet the "other" hand, I have a WX150 mounted to an M&P FS and the mounting system is solid and secure and never budges unless I remove it intentionally. this left-hander likes it as a pistol light...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtoyz View Post
    Steve, I agree 100%.

Its interesting that so many dont like the WX150 switch. I see it as one of the big positives. The mode of operation is the same on either side of the light. Down is momentary and up is constant, on either side . Simple and consistent.

Planning on trying Insights new WL1. It uses the same switch and AA's. Very cool.

-T
    Thank you. Just my observations. The perks of the WX150 as I see it are the ambi levers (for Southpaws and consistency reasons), the rail lock similar to the X300, and the shorter overall length compared to almost every WML. The price drives these factors I believe. If it was more expensive, it enters X200/300 territory.

I would like to point out again that all 3 lights (TLR series, WX150, X300) are great WMLs, and I do think Streamlight's CS is second to none in the WML market based on my own and observed opinions by others.

I actually have no interest at all in the new Insight AA model. I don't understand it's purpose. The CR123 battery is used for two very specific reasons - smaller with more run time and better resistance to temperature extremes. The AA model ruins what I find to be the WX150's shining spot IMO - the shorter OAL. That's the biggest reason I could see using one for EDC. The advantage of AA batteries being cheap and plentiful really doesn't apply to defensive weapons. CR123s are in the pipeline already for almost every Mil / LE organization and saving a few bucks at the sacrifice of performance, size, and weight isn't a priority for most civilian concealed carriers. This isn't a shot at your opinion, just might save you a few bucks down the road.

I've actually been really anticipating the X300c as the "do-all" light for every gun with a rail. An aluminum bodied TLR3 sized light with different attachment options for fullsize to subcompact pistols would be great. You see it some in the TLR3 by the many plates to change where the light rides. Take that concept and exaggerate it to keep it as low profile as possible. Think of the Crimson Trace Lightguard - but not going so extreme in reducing size at the sacrifice of performance. The TLR3 would be a lot nicer if made from metal (the clamps break over time) and it didn't sit so low.

Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrolAR View Post
    I'm much happeir when using TLR-1s or X300s (which I use on my personal guns).
    Anyone who reads this should hold this opinion a whole lot higher then mine. I should point out that I don't carry (or even currently own) a WX150. But I've used them enough to make an opinion on them - aside from long term durability. However, I'm not behind sights, lights, and scopes for a living - so I'd take a VSM REI's opinion very seriously - to anyone reading this.

Cheers.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    There hasn't been any recent mention of the X300c though has there?
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    There hasn't been any recent mention of the X300c though has there?
    I have also noticed that. Instead Surefire is too busy cranking as many lumens out of current models to the point of full retard. If the new X300 is in fact 500L, then I can see it performing worse then the current X300s. For Scout style long gun lights, I can understand. But that's too much for a pistol. However, it could be designed for long gun users mounting pistol lights. I can't help but wonder if they just got fed up with the TLR1S's supposed increased in advertised power. Surefire is the smartest in the industry, but they are also a business.

The X300c was a great idea. The X400 Green was a good idea. The X400 IR is genius, but I'd imagine not Civ legal.

Sorry, a bit off topic.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    As with all things people who are buying flashlights (and have no experience using them other than pressing the on button to make something light up) want "bang for their buck" and will sometimes dish out lots of cash for high lumen flashlights.

I remember a coworker of mine backing me up on an open property/burg in progress job, he had a brand new 300+ lumen flashlight, do not remember the type and I had a 100 lumen little jobby from jetbeam. After the first wall he shine that flashlight on he was blind for a good minute. I told him to hold the back of my belt and not shoot me in the back.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast