Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How are your weapon lights holding up on your SBR?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

How are your weapon lights holding up on your SBR?

BCM Junkie and I sort of discussed this but I wanted to open this up to the rest here.
    And maybe this is a non issue altogether but lets see.

For everyone here that has a light mounted on their SBR whether they be a more traditional weapon light offset mounted or at the 3,6, or 9 o clock or even an X300 at the 12 o clock, how are they holding up in regards to the muzzle blast?

Just looking at the SBR picture thread I've noticed that a lot of people who are not running suppressors have their lights indexing to some length over or just behind the muzzle device. Some people are running flashhiders, some various other brakes or Battlecomps etc.

While surefire builds an outstanding product I cant imagine the repeated concussive extra blast out of a 10.5/11.5" barrel (even more so with a comp) less than an inch away from the bezel of your light is going to be a good thing for it in the long run.

I'm not so much concerned with the lens carbon build up (that cleans off) but I was wondering how everyone else's light setups were taking the abuse. Especially on hard use guns. I like to set up my handguard and light setups to allow me to get as far forward grip as possible and allow me to grip the same or as close to the same with either support hand. This usually means getting the light as far forward as possible too. This for the most part means me having handguards that extend close to the muzzle.

I tried seeing just how far back I would have to stick a 12 o clock mounted X300 and the front folding sight back to get the light bezel at least even with the end of my 11" TRX rail and I did not like it.
    This was obviously not a problem on my non NFA carbines but since Ive made the jump it is what it is.

Is this even a real concern or is this a non issue and I'm worrying about nothing?
    Last edited by TACAV; 11-27-11 at 14:15.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I run an X300 at the 12 position (and have been doing it for YEARS). No issues.

C4

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Mine is mounted at the 11:00 position takes the muzzle blast from the BattleComp pretty directly. No damage to the bezel, but it soots up pretty quick. I coat it with a little chapstick or silicone grease and it wipes right off.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    My TLR1s rides at 3 o'clock with no issued from my BC.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well thats good news, thanks for the input everyone.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I run a Surefire/VTAC L4 (E2 LED basically) at about 1 o'clock I guess on my BCM 11.5 with an 11 inch Troy TRX. The bezel is about an inch back from the end of my compensator (Levang Linear Comp). No issues at all. The Levang throws everything forward so I'm not sure how much abuse the light is getting. I think my X300 on my Glock 22 probably takes more of a beating, I have had one of the contact springs on the backplate break off....Surefire sent me extras to replace it.

Glock Armorer

"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."

Edmund Burke

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Its not just my light, its my front sight too.

This is a few weeks old. I havent cleaned anything but the lens, I use baby wipes and it come right off.

Quote Originally Posted by Split66 View Post
    I wouldnt listen to BCMjunkie. His brown camo clashes like hell with his surroundings. His surroundings are obviously pinkish and lacey and have big hooties.

Instagram Dangertastic
    Danger@Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/m41979/

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Had this setup for a couple years with zero issues
    Dave Merrill
    Terrible Technical Writer. Awful Photographer. Lazy Instructor. Kind of a dick.
    Loves Tacos.

Feedback Score
    For the last year and a half I've run this light set-up at the six o'clock position on two different 11.5" uppers:

SureFire, G2 LED light
    Vltor, SMG Scout light mount
    Custom Defensive Products, BLAM rail
    A2 flash hider with muzzle brake alteration

It's a simple, rugged, low cost and light-weight deal. Lens stays clean. The LED lights are mostly bomb-proof. No negative issues whatsoever at about 4k and 9k round count.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    I'm reminded of my lefthandedness every time I shoot a belt-fed with short sleeves on.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Not an SBR (well, have the upper waiting), but 13" VTAC on 14.5" BC1.5.
    X300 at 12:00 - it looks fugly pretty quick, but still usably bright.
    My wife's M&P9 makes them look horrible - the one I use, plus a used X300 I picked up (same config with previous owner) they look terrible, with the anodize even taking some abuse on the top side, but function is still 100%.

SureFire's aren't unkillable, but usually the weapon and user will have quit long before the light stops working.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast