Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insights Weapon Lights

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Insights Weapon Lights

I currently have a Insights M3X light for one of my G19s. I am interested in purchasing a few more lights. I am thinking of getting a Insights M3 light mainly because of cost. Besides not being waterproof, I was wondering if anyone has had any problems with using these as a basic light on a pistol.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I had an M3 on my duty rifle for about a year. No problems with it but I just recently upgraded to the TLR 1 for the led, higher output and aluminum body. The TLR wasnt much more than what I paid for the M3 either.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Are Insights incandescent?
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    The M3X series are LED I believe. The old M3 models are incandescent. I've used both the M3X, M3, and Streamlight TLR-1....and the TLR-1 is the best for the value in my mind. The aluminum body and brighter reflector and bulb is a good value at ~$100...which isn't that far off price wise from the M3X series.

If you're using a dedicated holster for the G19+ M3X light, then you'd probably consider another M3X for consistency sake. Most light capable holsters that can take the M3X won't take the TLR-1s and vice versa.
    Last edited by Kilo 1-1; 01-31-12 at 00:24.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ok- Here is my next question
    Is the TLR-1 and the TLR-S the same size?

Feedback Score
    M3Xs were incandescent initally... i am holding an old one right now that was issued to me in 2005. They are made with LED lamps now.

The incandescent M3X used to blow bulbs at an inconvenient time, and I didn't have a lot of faith in it. It was replaced with a few different iterations of Surefire weapon lights... currently using a few X300s, with no complaints.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I see a lot of advantages to the WX150. It has the quick attach / detach rail lock system of the X300 and the paddle activation system of the TLR1. The attachment system is worse then the X300, but the activation system is fully ambidextrous whereas the TLR series isn't.

What draws me to the WX150 is the shorter overall length. It has shorter OAL then the TLR and X300. Start putting lights on a G19 or other light rail equipped compact pistol, and you will notice. I also think it is lighter, but I can weigh the lights to be sure if anyone is interested.

I also prefer the attachment method considerably to the TLR series. On the TLR series, it's really a good idea for Duty use to LocTite and Witness mark the thumb screw since they can eventually shoot loose.

As per the above post - rails vary a lot. Therefore the X300 and WX150 won't fit all rails perfectly. Some will be tight, some will have slop. The fix is to look on the top of the light (where the rail lock is and meets the dustcover) and you can see screws holding the light rail frame rails in place. There are 2 per side on the WX150 and 3 per side on the X300. Loosen these, then at inward or outward pressure to squeeze or release pressure from the rail the light will attach to. Then retighten the screws. The X300 is the gold standard for WMLs on long guns, and the WX150 uses almost the exact same attachment method. I do wish that Insight would make a dedicated rail lock for the WX150 though - a la Surefire and their prior M6 series.

I also prefer the beam of the WX150 to the TLR1. It has a nice concentrated center, good throw, and good light flood. For this, the size, and price point - I think it's a nice light. I'd rather one then a TLR1. I'd rather an X300 then either. But it's kind of splitting hairs. I also believe Streamlight to have the best Customer Service of all the WML companies. They are a real pleasure, should you unfortunately have to deal with them.

Some pics I snapped on my G19.

As you can see, there is no real advantage to running a TLR3 instead of a WX150 when worried about OAL.

My $0.02 - worth what you paid for it. Cheers.
    Last edited by Steve S.; 02-01-12 at 19:42.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm issued a WX-150 at work (initially had a Procyon) and I cant stand it. The biggest draw back to me is the independent movement of the arms. The strobe is a useless feature to me also. I'm much happeir when using TLR-1s or X300s (which I use on my personal guns).

Feedback Score
    Steve, I agree 100%.

Its interesting that so many dont like the WX150 switch. I see it as one of the big positives. The mode of operation is the same on either side of the light. Down is momentary and up is constant, on either side . Simple and consistent.

Planning on trying Insights new WL1. It uses the same switch and AA's. Very cool.

-T
    Last edited by mrtoyz; 02-01-12 at 21:40.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast