Thread: atheletic wool socks

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

atheletic wool socks

I have been using Swift Wick Pursuits for the past 7-8 months and they absolutely outperform any other merino wool sock on the market. I work on a fishing boat in Alaska during the summer months and it serves as a pretty good proving ground. I wear 16" Xtratuf boots for extended periods of time that don't vent moisture at all. I have used every mfg of wool sock I could get my hands on, and Alaska has a damn good selection of wool socks. The issues I have had with other manufactures was bunching up in the toe box or sagging. Different mfgs would stitch in gussets or supports to help eliminate shift or sagging, but over time would fail. The reason Swift Wicks work so well is because they are compression socks and stay in place like no other wool sock I have used. I have been using a combination of socks training for an Ultra run and have settled on using Swift wicks over my beloved Drymax socks for my upcoming event. They stay in place to help reduce the chance of blisters. I honestly can't say enough good things about them and I think the dude at the local bike shop thinks I have a sock fetish now.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have no experience with the Swiftwick brand (though I've heard good stuff about them) but I agree 100% on the compression thing. In addition to running, one of my hobbies is motorcycle touring; and OTC-length compression socks do a GREAT job of reducing calf and foot fatigue over the long miles. When running, I usually wear shorter socks and separate calf compression sleeves to achieve the same thing. Makes a huge difference! I scored a great deal on some Smartwool OTC compression socks - from their skiing/snowboarding line - and they worked really well for me, though now I mostly wear Injinjis. I know all about the sock fetish thing.

Glad you found a sock that works for you, and good luck training for the ultra!

Derek
    An evil soul wields an evil sword.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    For running I personally wear a low cut or a 4 inch sock. I wear the longer 4 inch socks on longer runs when my feet become clumsy. I notice I kick my ankles at times on the trail and the extra padding can help over long hours of fatigue and helps with comfort over time. I am not sold on the compression calf sleeves. I have used the CEP one and couldn't tell a difference IMO. I do use compression garments for other things with great results. The swift wicks are not as thick as say my smartwools but the sock are more dense if that makes any sense. I used the swift wick pursuit 12 on the fishing boat and couldn't be happier.

Feedback Score
    I've been using IceBreaker and Wool Power socks (the former should be available in your area - the latter is a domestic brand here in Sweden). IceBreaker for active stuff and Wool Power liners for every day use.

For socks, merino is most definitely the way to go (I also use both Smartwool and IceBreaker shirts for every day use).

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by the_master_midget View Post
    For running I personally wear a low cut or a 4 inch sock. I wear the longer 4 inch socks on longer runs when my feet become clumsy. I notice I kick my ankles at times on the trail and the extra padding can help over long hours of fatigue and helps with comfort over time. I am not sold on the compression calf sleeves. I have used the CEP one and couldn't tell a difference IMO. I do use compression garments for other things with great results. The swift wicks are not as thick as say my smartwools but the sock are more dense if that makes any sense. I used the swift wick pursuit 12 on the fishing boat and couldn't be happier.
    I think some compression stuff works better for recovery and some works better for performance - at least for me. The calf sleeves I wear on long runs are made by Salomon. They came highly recommended by a couple of guys who run about 10 times the mileage I do. I'm a simple runner who likes to focus on the running and not on the latest "go fast" gear, but damn do these things make a difference. They're the only piece of gear I've bought in the last 5 years that I can honestly say that about, other than shoes and socks! The Salomon sleeves are kinda pricey, but mine have held up well after several months of use so I think they'll prove to be a good investment. I'm looking forward to trying them in some races over the next few months. I have a pair of Zensah sleeves I wear for recovery when I get stiff, achy legs.

I'll see if I can find a Swiftwick dealer in my area and check them out.

Derek
    An evil soul wields an evil sword.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I ran in some swift wick performance fours this past weekend in an ultra event. Had to change them out to my Drymax socks at mile 20. While I love their wool socks for hiking, hunting, and fishing boat work I am gong to stick to my Drymax for trail running. The odd thing after running 30 miles the only thing that hurt on me was my traps and my forearms. I went into the event with a plan and stuck with it and felt great through the entire race. I am going to do the zane grey 50 in April so I am excited to see how I progress. Defiantly try out a pair of the swift wick wool socks simply the best in performance wool I have used.