Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lamp Oil??

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Lamp Oil??

Maybe this is the right forum for my question, if not let me know.

Can the Coleman Camp Fuel be used in old time lanterns? Im assuming kerosene can be. Whats a good source for kerosene?
    I usually use whatever "oil lamp fuel" I can find at Wally World and am just wondering what other options I have.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    A bit of a tag but Ill be willing to throw this out there. If you burn any type of fuel INSIDE your house have the proper detectors going. Always hear a few stories every year about people burning shit in their house and the family is found dead from poisoning.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Yeah me too. But if it has come to the point where Im using oil burning lamps for light my windows will be open for ventilation.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason0311 View Post
    Whats a good source for kerosene?
    I have seen kerosene sold at gas stations in my area.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Delete
    Last edited by Inkslinger; 02-01-12 at 17:56.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason0311 View Post
    Maybe this is the right forum for my question, if not let me know.

Can the Coleman Camp Fuel be used in old time lanterns? Im assuming kerosene can be. Whats a good source for kerosene?
    I usually use whatever "oil lamp fuel" I can find at Wally World and am just wondering what other options I have.
    I thought Coleman fuel was white gas??? Extremely combustible and never to be used in an oil lantern??? Only in pressurized lanterns. Someone correct me if I'm wrong cause this is serious shit if someone uses it in an oil lantern. Major kaboom. This stuff should never be used indoors.

Get K-1 kerosene from Ace or other hardware stores sold in gallon aluminum cans. Much much cleaner than than k-2 your standard kerosene. K-1 grade is low-sulfur kerosene, with a maximum sulfur content of 0.04 percent by weight, and the latter can contain up to 0.30 percent sulfur. The sulfur content is important because the sulfur in the fuel forms some pretty nasty pollutants when the fuel is burned. Keeping the sulfur content as low as it is in k-1 kerosene allows the fuel to be burned without a flue to remove the exhaust products from the room (such as in a kerosene space heater). K-2 kerosene must/should be burned only in appliances with a flue. It's some dirty stuff. With k-1 you really don't even need to crack a window.

In my oil lamps (high end Aladdin lamps) I use & have stored Aladdin lamp oil, Ultra Pure Lamp Oil by Lamplighter Farms and K-1. All work great.
    Last edited by Just a Jarhead; 02-01-12 at 17:13.
    Live paranoia trumps dead bravado, every time.

"A prudent man foresees the difficulties ahead and prepares for them;
    the simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences."
    - Proverbs 22:3

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just a Jarhead View Post
    I thought Coleman fuel was white gas??? Extremely combustible and never to be used in an oil lantern??? Only in pressurized lanterns. Someone correct me if I'm wrong cause this is serious shit if someone uses it in an oil lantern. Major kaboom. This stuff should never be used indoors.

Get K-1 kerosene from Ace or other hardware stores sold in gallon aluminum cans. Much much cleaner than than k-2 your standard kerosene. K-1 grade is low-sulfur kerosene, with a maximum sulfur content of 0.04 percent by weight, and the latter can contain up to 0.30 percent sulfur. The sulfur content is important because the sulfur in the fuel forms some pretty nasty pollutants when the fuel is burned. Keeping the sulfur content as low as it is in k-1 kerosene allows the fuel to be burned without a flue to remove the exhaust products from the room (such as in a kerosene space heater). K-2 kerosene must/should be burned only in appliances with a flue. It's some dirty stuff. With k-1 you really don't even need to crack a window.

In my oil lamps (high end Aladdin lamps) I use & have stored Aladdin lamp oil, Ultra Pure Lamp Oil by Lamplighter Farms and K-1. All work great.
    Correct, Coleman fuel should not be used in an oil lamp. Sorry my comment was based on some misinformation.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    I have seen kerosene sold at gas stations in my area.
    I used to see it around at gas stations where I live, but I haven't noticed it available anywhere for quite some time.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Heating oil

#2 Heating oil is a grade of kerosene, and can be used in lamps if needed. We have about 50/60gallons for our lamps it's K1 grade in 2 1/2 gallon plastic jugs.

Im told at least on the west coast that a 50 gallon barrel of #2 can be purchased at reasonable rates, say 2.50 2.60 a gallon. We have a huge tank on the side of the house, it has dyed diesel in it. It can also be used in a pinch. Venting the residence is key.

We get mushroom pickers every year Most are Mong's, a couple die most every year from failing to vent their tents the right way.

Dirk

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Thanks for all the info guys. I wasn't sure on the Coleman fuel and wanted to get some more input on it. So diesel fuel can be used in these type lamps if need be? Makes since I guess. I'll look around at hardware stores and what not for kerosene.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast