Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lithium AA batteries...prone to leaking?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Lithium AA batteries...prone to leaking?

I understand that even with the Aimpoint's long battery-life, you should still change batteries out every now and then. My question is, are the Lithium AA batteries prone to (or capable of?) leaking and ruining the optic? Has anyone seen this/heard of this? I have a lot of remotes that don't work because of alkaline batteries doing this, so I would never put one of them in a $$$ optic, but will the lithiums eventually leak too, or not?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I run Lithiums in my one Eotech for that reason, less chance of leaking. They don't seem to drain over time like the alkaline batteries either,,,
    NFA Addict - Banned on Arfkom!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I never knew there was such a thing... but I'm not very electronics oriented.

We had an aimpoint with an alkaline that puked on the inside.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I never knew there was such a thing... but I'm not very electronics oriented.

We had an aimpoint with an alkaline that puked on the inside.
    Damage to the optic?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Damage to the optic?
    No. The battery was in the early stages of puking. It was in an M4s that had been shelved. Crust in the battery compartment, but not bad enough to impact function.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    No. The battery was in the early stages of puking. It was in an M4s that had been shelved. Crust in the battery compartment, but not bad enough to impact function.
    Good news, then. I asked Aimpoint and they said that if the battery leaked, the optic was DONE. I don't know if this means it destroyed the electronics, or if they were just agreeing that if the contacts were destroyed, obviously it was kaput. I don't know where all a leak could go in an aimpoint as mine is not here yet to finger.

Feedback Score
    Leakage is a good reason to always remove the batteries from an optic or anything in storage. Still, does anyone know of a flat, or calculator type battery like in the Aimpoint T1 ever leaking?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Guys, ALL batteries may leak.

There's no statistically significant difference between lithium or alkaline as to which is more prone to leaking or not. That's more a matter of whether or not you're buying some cut-rate Paki battery, or a first-rate one made in a non-3rd-World country.

Leaky lithiums are more likely to have violent reactions with their surroundings, particularly in the wet (causes fires), so folks tend to turn that into "more likely to leak!" because they're hearing hoofbeats in the distance and thinking "Zebras!" without bothering to consider that it might just be regular 'ol horses.

Check all batteries for leakage, cracks in the casing, dents, ANY deformities prior to use. If any are present, do not use, discard. Try to not store things with batteries in the compartments unless you have a compelling reason to do so.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'm moving this thread to the equestrian forum.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Guys, ALL batteries may leak.

There's no statistically significant difference between lithium or alkaline as to which is more prone to leaking or not. That's more a matter of whether or not you're buying some cut-rate Paki battery, or a first-rate one made in a non-3rd-World country.

Leaky lithiums are more likely to have violent reactions with their surroundings, particularly in the wet (causes fires), so folks tend to turn that into "more likely to leak!" because they're hearing hoofbeats in the distance and thinking "Zebras!" without bothering to consider that it might just be regular 'ol horses.

Check all batteries for leakage, cracks in the casing, dents, ANY deformities prior to use. If any are present, do not use, discard. Try to not store things with batteries in the compartments unless you have a compelling reason to do so.
    Wouldn't an Aimpoint be a reason to "store" the battery in the compartment? It's always supposed to be on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast