Page 43 of 47 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: How to SBR Your Lower by Scottryan

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Okay, so my Form 1 eform submission was just denied because my dumbass put "multi" in the caliber box as that's what the lower says (my mistake for not coming here first). Anyway, since the eform system is down I'm now stuck mailing in my submission. My question -- page one of the Form 1 says make check payable to "Department of Justice" yet the instructions say to make it payable to "Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives."

Now I don't want this coming back rejected again and wasting more time, so can someone who has submitted a check in the past 3-6 months tell me who they made it out to? I want to get this right the 2nd time!
    Last edited by BravoHotel; 06-19-14 at 17:24.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Made out to "BATFE"...and it was accepted...
    "Those who do can't explain; those who don't can't understand"...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Say an engraver misspells your trust name, what's the recourse? Replace the lower? Engrave in another place? Fill the mistake somehow?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by powderBurnz View Post
    Say an engraver misspells your trust name, what's the recourse? Replace the lower? Engrave in another place? Fill the mistake somehow?
    Any of the above.

You can engrave another place, as extra engraving isn't an issue, and that's what you'd end up with.

The engraving isn't very deep, so there's a chance you could mill out a rectangle and redo it. If it was a single letter, I may even engrave right over it.

It would also depend on how bad it was as to whether I did anything.
    Last edited by BigWaylon; 08-24-14 at 10:55.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    i live in NJ so i've never looked into this but my uncle has recently decided he wants to get a SBR in 300 BLK but doesn't have the cash to build it all how he wants it now. My question is, assume he has the cash to build a completed lower, and make sure it functions, pretty much following steps 1 - 14 from page one. is there any reason he has to do #15 and #16 right away when he gets the stamp back? if so, i assume he could buy a cheap 10.5" upper and save for the one he wants in the future, but it would probably be better to save for the $1300 to do it right instead of the $500 bandaid and then $1300 on top of it.

also, i figure the e-form one would be the fastest and easiest way to do this since his sheriff won't sign off in south carolina and who knows what happens next with the ATF.

do i have this correct?

Also, what happens if the beneficiary or the trustees are out of state people on his trust? is that allowed?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    IMO the best way to do it would be to build it as a SIG Braced-pistol with the upper that he wants, function test it, then submit the form 1. When it's approved, swap the brace out for a shoulder stock and sell the brace.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    that does seem the best way, but i don't think he has the money to do it that way now. i think he wants to figure out a way to get ahead of 41p with not much time left (possibly)

Feedback Score
    Does he already have a working lower he'd be willing to engrave? Or at least the funds to buy a new lower and build it out? He can eFile today, and there's no requirement to build the upper.

I engraved all six of mine after I filed the F1.

He can even file it, change his mind, and get the $200 refunded after it's approved. Same thing if somehow the lower gets damaged/lost during the engraving process.

There are plenty of ways to spread out the costs if needed.
    Last edited by BigWaylon; 09-21-14 at 12:11.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm trying to get the full cost for him but he does have the funds pretty much for a completed lower (at least one with a standard m4 stock), the trust fee, and the engraving and $200 stamp fee. i think the biggest cost for him is the $1300 for an upper since i think he is looking at a 10.5" noveske gen 3 and a noveske gen 3 lower.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wsaraceni View Post
    I'm trying to get the full cost for him but he does have the funds pretty much for a completed lower (at least one with a standard m4 stock), the trust fee, and the engraving and $200 stamp fee. i think the biggest cost for him is the $1300 for an upper since i think he is looking at a 10.5" noveske gen 3 and a noveske gen 3 lower.
    It's much "safer" (not to start that argument) to have a registered lower and no upper than it would be to have the short upper and no lower.

The upper is not an NFA item and a short barrel or upper can be shipped directly to you, because it could be used as a pistol. He can do the lower now, and run any upper (<16" or >16") he wants. Build his $1300 upper as he goes.

Page 43 of 47 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast