Page 38 of 47 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: How to SBR Your Lower by Scottryan

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer44 View Post
    Anyone know?

It doesn't matter. Put a reasonable measurement in that box.

You're not married to Bbl length or OAL... it's just bureacratic Hoop Jumping.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I agree with markm. I didn't use the extended stock measurement on mine. I think ATF is worried more about barrel length than OAL for the SBRs with collapsible stocks. If you have a fixed stock, then obviously you use the longest length. I just wanted the tnedator to be aware that there are different interpretations floating around the internet on how you measure OAL with a collapsible stock. As far as tnedator's question in 2b about OAL for a DD MK 18 upper, I would go with either the 26.3" which is the shortest OAL for a rifle with the DD MK 18 upper or with 29.3" which is the longest OAL for the 10.3 inch barrel.
    Last edited by elkslayer44; 02-18-13 at 11:13.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer44 View Post
    I agree with markm. I didn't use the extended stock measurement on mine. I think ATF is worried more about barrel length than OAL for the SBRs with collapsible stocks. If you have a fixed stock, then obviously you use the longest length. I just wanted the tnedator to be aware that there are different interpretations floating around the internet on how you measure OAL with a collapsible stock. As far as tnedator's question in 2b about OAL for a DD MK 18 upper, I would go with either the 26.3" which is the shortest OAL for a rifle with the DD MK 18 upper or with 29.3" which is the longest OAL for the 10.3 inch barrel.
    Thanks for the info.

Yea, I've been amazed at how many posts (on here and other forums) state complete opposite. Some are adamant it's measured stock extended, some stock collapsed, and some just say it doesn't really matter.

I did read this morning one guy that posted the scan of a letter from the ATF stating that their position is that it should be measured in the extended position. I was on my tablet, so I don't have a link to that image of the letter right now.

I'll probably go with 29.3 OAL, assuming a 10.3" MK18 upper, and if in the end I can't get a MK18 or go another direction, I will update with a notification to the ATF.

Feedback Score
    FWIW, here is a letter from the ATF posted on another forum that states that the OAL is to be done with the stock extended.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thanks for posting that. In some ways it's an interesting letter. Guy asks about a FOLDING stock such as on some side- and under-folder rifles and they answer talking about a retractable or collapsible stock. Then the grammar also leaves a little to be desired. But I'll accept what it says--use the longest length as your OAL.

Feedback Score

SBR Engraving for trust

I realize the ATF can be real picky when it comes to crossing your T's and dotting your I's so my question is, what is correct when Engraving the receiver for an SBR. My trust state's Last name first then Revocable Firearms trust. Does the engraving has to state it in that exact wording or can the word Revocable and Firearms be exempt followed by city and state?
    Much appreciated....

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Read posts 337 through 340 in this thread. I think your question is answered there. I would use the same trust name that's on your trust document title page. If it says "John Doe NFA Trust" then use that plus city and state abbreviation.
    Last edited by elkslayer44; 03-06-13 at 15:48.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for that info, kinda felt the same but wanted to be sure.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by strom19 View Post
    Thanks for that info, kinda felt the same but wanted to be sure.
    For that reason, some of the guys that specialize in gun trusts vs. regular trusts, recommend going with a short name, since it will have to be engraved on SBRs.

So, if your name is Nathaniel J. Hawthorne. They would have you name your trust NJW Trust. That's what would be on the title page and trust certification (if your state requires certifying trusts) and all that would be engraved on the SBR. Then, in another location in the trust, it might refer to how certain documents (such as titling property) should refer to it as "NJW Trust, by Nathaniel J. Hawthorne, trustee"

Feedback Score
    This is going WAY back to the beginning of the thread, but it was asked what documents need to be sent to the ATF. Robb Jensen responded:

Quote Originally Posted by Robb Jensen View Post
    If using a Trust:
    2 Form 1s, 1 Declaration of Trust, 1 Certificate of Compliance and a check for $200

If doing it as an individual:
    2 Form 1s (with a passport photo on each and signed off by your CLEO), 2 fingerprint cards, 1 Certificate of Compliance and a check for $200
    I can't say personally what is right, but according to Arsenal Attorneys (and their instructions that accompany the NFA Trust they made for me), you should NOT include the Certificate of Compliance if you are submitting a Form 1 as a Trust. Their rationale makes sense that a trust is not a person, and seeing as how they specialize in NFA Trusts, I'd be inclined to go with their advice.

Also, just in case it wasn't clear to someone, when submitting the Declaration of Trust you also need to include any amendments to the Trust.
    Last edited by Gunlos; 06-01-13 at 22:21.

Page 38 of 47 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast