Page 41 of 47 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: How to SBR Your Lower by Scottryan

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Thanks to everyone, this thread is extremely helpful. The thought of NFA items seemed really daunting at first but after reading this, I believe I'm gonna go for a SBR stamp as soon as I get home from Afghanistan.

I work for the Sheriff of my county so hopefully the only possible bump in the road (CLEO sign off) will be smooth.

Edit: I know it's been discussed thoroughly that you're not supposed to have an assembled SBR upper without the tax stamp due to a possible "intent" charge, which I can understand, because it would be very easy to change this out whenever someone wanted. I am curious, if I bought loose items (barrel, etc.) that AREN'T assembled to have at the ready for assembly when my stamp does come, would that be ok, or frowned upon also?

I work for a Sheriff's Office back home and I understand there are a lot of loopholes and open ends with stuff like this. Take Georgia's weapons carry license for example....
    Last edited by cctroupe11; 09-02-13 at 11:26.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    You're fine. No one is going to know what you have unless you tell them. The constructive possession idea is garbage in this context. If you ask me, it would be foolish to NOT have an upper ready to go once your stamp gets back.

Stay safe out there.
    B.A.S. Mechanical Engineering Technology

Feedback Score
    With the new (possible) laws with the ATF would it be wise to get a NFA trust done by lawyer or continue to use the "standard" revocable trust?

Reason I ask is I haven't sent my stamps in yet and while talking to a friend that speicalizing in tranfering class 3 and etc he suggested it if was him he would do the trust over again with a lawyer.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    From what I've read it doesn't sound like the degree to which trusts will be evaluated is going to change - Having a lawyer draft one for you would certainly be good peace of mind and you'd have someone to answer any questions but I don't think self-drawn trusts are going to start being rejected left and right.

Quote Originally Posted by Djstorm100 View Post
    With the new (possible) laws with the ATF would it be wise to get a NFA trust done by lawyer or continue to use the "standard" revocable trust?

Reason I ask is I haven't sent my stamps in yet and while talking to a friend that speicalizing in tranfering class 3 and etc he suggested it if was him he would do the trust over again with a lawyer.

Feedback Score
    I've gone through this thread over the past couple months, and am settled on the SBR route for my next build. I'll be doing a Form 1 for a BCM lower I currently own. I had a couple quick questions I didn't see specifically answered, hoping someone can help, as I've already filled out the paperwork and am just waiting to ship it off.

1. On the Form 1 box 4a it asks for name address etc of the original manufacturer. All I can find online for BCM is a PO Box #, will this be an issue, or is the PO Box fine?

2. I've read here and there about the Certificate of Compliance. From what I understand, I need to submit this with a Form 1 as an individual (not trust) build. No problem there, but I can't seem to find any instructions from ATF as to how I fill it out. I'm assuming my name goes in box 1 and 2 on this form? (I'm a born-in-the-US citizen). And 1 copy of this form is fine?

Thanks to everyone for contributing, this thread made things pretty simple so far. I apologize if I missed the answers to the above questions somewhere in there.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KSM View Post
    I've gone through this thread over the past couple months, and am settled on the SBR route for my next build. I'll be doing a Form 1 for a BCM lower I currently own. I had a couple quick questions I didn't see specifically answered, hoping someone can help, as I've already filled out the paperwork and am just waiting to ship it off.

1. On the Form 1 box 4a it asks for name address etc of the original manufacturer. All I can find online for BCM is a PO Box #, will this be an issue, or is the PO Box fine?

2. I've read here and there about the Certificate of Compliance. From what I understand, I need to submit this with a Form 1 as an individual (not trust) build. No problem there, but I can't seem to find any instructions from ATF as to how I fill it out. I'm assuming my name goes in box 1 and 2 on this form? (I'm a born-in-the-US citizen). And 1 copy of this form is fine?

Thanks to everyone for contributing, this thread made things pretty simple so far. I apologize if I missed the answers to the above questions somewhere in there.
    Box 4a, you only need name/city/state, and that can be found on the lower. 2 copies of the citizenship form iirc.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Certificate of Compliance is as straightforward as it seems. You only need one copy. At least, that that's all I've ever sent on 4 different Form 1s in the last 5 years.

Feedback Score
    Thanks gents.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Don't mean to bump an old thread, but my state finally got on board and I hope to Form 1 a couple of lowers. I will be going the Trust route as I have several suppressors already in my trust. My question is whether or not I have to add my lowers to my schedule A before I send it in with the Form 1's or if they get added after the forms clear?

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Much older threads have been brought back before This is a good one to keep going to keep information current.

One could argue that moving the lower to the trust after the form 1 is approved would constitute a transfer that would otherwise require a form 4 and another $200. Also, the way I see it, using you trust as the applicant on the form 1 implies that the trust already owns the lower. So my suggestion is to add the lower before you send in your form 1. That's what I did and what a lot of others do too.

Quote Originally Posted by trooper84 View Post
    Don't mean to bump an old thread, but my state finally got on board and I hope to Form 1 a couple of lowers. I will be going the Trust route as I have several suppressors already in my trust. My question is whether or not I have to add my lowers to my schedule A before I send it in with the Form 1's or if they get added after the forms clear?

Page 41 of 47 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast