Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Palmetto State Armory: problems with their components and customer service

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Palmetto State Armory: problems with their components and customer service

I’ve had problems with both component quality and customer service with Palmetto State Armory. I will summarize the issues and then post my email exchange with them. Per forum policy I have tried to resolve the dispute with them privately, with no luck.

In May 2011 I ordered a PSA “premium” bolt carrier group, two of the PSA bolt assemblies (MPI/shot peened), and some other stuff not relevant here. Upon receiving the order I saw that one bolt had a burr on a lug that was parkerized and apparently a manufacturing defect. I emailed them and they sent me a UPS call tag and a replacement bolt that had no apparent defects. So far so good. Everything went in storage.

In November 2011 I built a 300 AAC Blackout upper from components, and decided to use the PSA “premium” BCG in it. In testing of the upper it fed, fired, and ejected, but would only lock the bolt back about 15% of the time. I did normal troubleshooting and finally noticed that the bolt carrier’s cam pin track was not the same shape or dimensions as any other bolt carrier I have – it didn’t extend as far down the side of the carrier at the rear end (where the cam pin is when the bolt is locked). I also found it difficult, but possible, to remove the cam pin for disassembly. I didn’t change anything else, or move any of the gas system components at all.

I installed a lightly used BCM BCG in the same upper and immediately had both proper function and the bolt locking back on empty 100% of the time. I also noticed odd wear patterns on the PSA bolt, which I think may be from it being shoved into locked position by a carrier that wasn’t quite right.

I contacted PSA with the problem and asked for a replacement. They indicated they would do so if I sent it back (no UPS call tag this time). I sent it back. They returned to me what is supposedly my original BCG that they “worked on” and test fired 30 rounds. The bolt on the returned BCG shows severe wear, worse than what I sent to them, along with minor damage to one lug that looks like an impact, and I cannot remove the cam pin for disassembly no matter how I fiddle with it. I haven’t tried being destructive on the cam pin, since I don’t see any reason to accept a defective BCG that was returned to me defective. The carrier appears to now have a properly machined track, and that track appears to be parkerized (not sure that's compatible with this being my original carrier "worked on") but I can't tell for sure since I can't disassemble it.

As in the emails below I told PSA, politely, that this was unacceptable and asked for a refund of my purchase price, or at the least a replacement NEW BCG and covering my costs of shipping the defective BCG back to them. They told me on January 13 that they could send me a UPS call tag and replace the BCG, and I accepted by reply email. Since then, only silence. I’ve followed up, and tried calling on the 27th with no answer and no ability to leave a message. I’m aware of the SHOT Show and would have understood a week of nothing because of that, but it has now been three weeks of silence.

The emails below have my identifying information removed but all the other text is unedited.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Emails

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent: Mon 1/23/12 12:54 PM
    To: info@palmettostatearmory.com; shipping@palmettostatearmory.com
    Subject: RE: defective bolt carrier from May order - RE: PALMETTO STATE ARMORY LLC Order Receipt
    Hello-
    Just following up on the email below. Can you send me a UPS call tag for the defective BCG as per your January 13 email?
    thanks,
    Firstname lastname
    ============================================================
    To: info@palmettostatearmory.com
    Subject: RE: defective bolt carrier from May order - RE: PALMETTO STATE ARMORY LLC Order Receipt
    Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 23:45:57 -0500
    Hello-
    I would like you to send a call tag and ship a replacement when you receive this one back. I still can't get the cam pin out and the bolt has heavily worn or damaged lugs as I mentioned before.
    thanks,
    Firstname lastname
    To: email address
    Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 19:08:16 -0500
    Firstname,
    I can send you a call tag and replace your item for you if you would like us to. We confirmed with the armorer that it was functional but if there is an issue still, this is how we would like to resolve it with you if you would like.
    Thanks,
    Customer Service
    PSA
    Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2012 1:18 PM
    Cc: shipping@palmettostatearmory.com
    Subject: FW: defective bolt carrier from May order - RE: PALMETTO STATE ARMORY LLC Order Receipt
    Hello-
    Following up again. I have a non-functional bolt carrier that I paid $119.95 for and shipped back to you at my expense only to have it returned in different but equally bad condition. A refund of my initial purchase price and my shipping costs is the most reasonable resolution to this, but if you won't do that I would take a replacement new, properly functioning bolt carrier. Please advise.
    Firstname lastname
    Phone #
    To: shipping@palmettostatearmory.com
    Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 10:21:10 -0500
    Hello-
    I have not heard anything back yet. Have you made a decision? Even if I'm only getting a replacement, can you at least pay for my shipping on returning the defective one to you?
    thanks,
    Firstname lastname
    ========================================
    Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2011 12:01:21 -0500
    I will speak with the armorer on Monday and see about sending you a replacement. I apologize for the inconvenience, but our warranty is to repair or replace, not refund. We will make it right for you, but all we have to go on is what he tells us. I will be back in touch early next week, and I apologize for the inconvenience.
    Please let us know if there is anything else you need, and thank you for your inquiry.
    Palmetto State Armory Customer Service
    Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2011 9:19 PM
    Hello-
    UPS delivered my original BCG back to me this afternoon. There is a handwritten note that your armorer inspected and test fired the BCG "after working on it a bit" and it worked fine for 30 rounds. I took a look, tried to inspect it and found that I cannot even remove the cam pin now. The cam pin was very difficult to remove before and is now impossible. I won't bother test firing this if I would never be able to perform basic maintenance on it. I also noticed that the bolt lugs show a lot of wear including one that is beveled and shiny at the front of the lug and has a burr on the outside, probably from whatever impact caused the bevel. I have 47 rds on this bolt and you apparently added 30 - I've never seen a bolt showing this much wear after 77 rds. I have some bolts in the several thousand round count that don't have that much wear.
    I am not satisfied with this and very surprised that you would return to me a defective part that I bought new and returned to you as barely used, having shown problems from its first use.
    I would like to return this still-defective BCG for a refund of my original purchase price for this BCG ($119.95, see invoice below) and my shipping costs for sending it back to you twice. If you won't take a return then I guess I'll accept a replacement, but I no longer have confidence in this product and am not likely to use it. Please advise.
    sincerely,
    Firstname lastname
    Phone #
    Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 11:14:42 -0500
    If you will send it to 200 business park blvd, Columbia, sc 29203, we will get another one that is test fired and ready to go sent back out to you. Please include a note that describes the issue (your email will suffice), and we will get that out as soon as we see yours come in. Please put it to ATTN: COLT DRIVER.
    Thanks,
    Daniel Dodds
    Palmetto State Armory
    Sent: Monday, December 12, 2011 4:18 PM
    Subject: defective bolt carrier from May order - RE: PALMETTO STATE ARMORY LLC Order Receipt
    Hello-
    I ordered a complete BCG from you in May, see below. I just recently went to use it and had some function problems with the newly-assembled upper I was using it in. After inspecting, I discovered that the carrier does not seem to be machined correctly in the cam pin track - it does not go as far down the left side of the carrier as any of my other carriers do, including another PSA that came with a complete PSA upper I ordered two months ago, as well as BCM and DD carriers I have. The track is tight enough that it is tricky and difficult to remove the cam pin (because of interference from the gas key). The upper (my own build) I had problems with is now functioning perfectly with a BCM carrier. I would like to return the PSA BCG and get a direct replacement. I would also like the bolt to be replaced as well because it is showing some funny wear marks for having only 50 rounds through it, which I think may be related to the carrier cam pin track issue.
    This is actually the same order where I previously had returned a bolt that had a machining burr left on it. However, as I said above, the PSA BCG that came with the PSA upper I ordered two months ago seems just fine. (I actually used that upper in a competition this past weekend, and have not had a single malfunction with it.)
    Could you provide return instructions?
    thanks,
    Firstname lastname
    > Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 18:26:02 -0600
    > From: info@palmettostatearmory.com
    > To: email address
    > Subject: PALMETTO STATE ARMORY LLC Order Receipt
    >
    > Thank you for your order.
    >
    > ========== GENERAL INFORMATION ==========
    > Company: PALMETTO STATE ARMORY LLC
    > Order date: 5/25/2011
    >
    > ========== ORDER INFORMATION ==========
    > Payment By: Visa __________________
    > Status: APPROVED - 05067B
    > Order: OnlineOrder_00066013
    >
    > Product Name: Magpul PMAG new M-Rev 30rd - OD Green
    > Item#: 101c
    > Unit Price: $14.20
    > Quantity: 1
    > Shipping Method: MAG price
    >
    > Product Name: Complete MPI Bolt Assembly
    > Item#: 929
    > Unit Price: $49.95
    > Quantity: 2
    >
    > Product Name: Palmetto State Armory Complete Full Auto 5.56 BCG
    > - Add a charging handle ($10)
    > Item#: 1746b
    > Unit Price: $129.95
    > Quantity: 1
    >
    > Shipping Insurance: $3.05
    > Grand Total: $247.10
    >
    > ========== SHIPPING INFORMATION ==========
    > Name: Firstname Lastname
    > Day Phone: () phone #
    > Email: email address
    > Address:
    > > US

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Sometimes, you get what you pay for. I've often wondered how they could sell "mil-spec" parts so cheap and still make a profit. Working in quality assurance and having experience in supply chain something sounded fishy to me so I've stayed away despite the enticing pricing.

At any rate, I hope they do finally get your squared away but if they're stuff is that out of spec, and that's how they send out reworked components in your case I doubt it's isolated. In my experience as an internal QMS auditor says, "where there's smoke, there's fire".
    Last edited by Sry0fcr; 02-03-12 at 12:29.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sry0fcr View Post
    Sometimes, you get what you pay for. I've often wondered how they could sell "mil-spec" parts so cheap and still make a profit. working in quality assurance and having experience in supply chain something sounded fishy to me so I've stayed away despite the enticing pricing.
    This is what I have thought all along.

Any company that can offer a rifle and an Aimpoint for $999 is doing one of two things - loosing money, or cutting corners.

I don't think they are loosing money, so that only leaves one option...

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sry0fcr View Post
    Sometimes, you get what you pay for.
    I have definitely learned that lesson a couple times now, and as I posted in the discussion of the other BCG I had issues with, going forward I'm using only DD, BCM and LMT, all of which have been flawless for me so far, or Colt and Noveske, which I don't have experience with but by reputation should be at least as good.

I'm posting this mostly for the information of the readership. I don't really expect resolution from PSA at this point, but since so many people on various forums have been recommending PSA (I suspect without personal experience) just as had been the case 2-3 years ago for Spike's and 4-5 years ago for CMMG, I thought I should get the word out.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Lightbulb

I appreciate the heads-up, & empathize with your frustration.

I bought a PSA premium BCG for my FDE plinker I was building. I cut a few more corners with this build than I should have (RRA trigger group! ), because I was intending it to BE just a 'plinker,' even though I know better. Here's HOPING mine turns out better come the spring, when I can get out and put it through its paces.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    This is why people should use BravoCompanyUSA.

I've seen guys with issues where they just replace the part without even requesting the original to be returned.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    This is a very sad story. I was really rooting for PSA and their new line of inexpensive firearms.

I have only purchased lower parts kits from them in the past and they seemed to be good (better than DPMS parts kits that I now refuse to use anyway).

Sad.

Feedback Score
    Oh here we go......

if it's a good review with PSA, and it's good quality or customer experience.... out come "it's just a sample of one" snip.

If it's a bad review of PSA here comes all the poo slinging, and fancy quips about "just as good as"......

This is comes from a fella that has way more than once showed clearly his distaine for PSA in just about any PSA thread made, rightly so considering HIS exp....I guess.

I chalk this up to "a sample of one" mostly from the same guy over and over.

I hear more good things from hundreds of people across the scope than bad. From PSA.

Though any thing good from PSA is "just a sample of one"

Anything bad "told ya soo"

It's no surprise though.......considerin'.....

Edit: damn PC locked up on me.....Sucks you have had consistent issues with PSA.

I have not and have ordered many a part through them and have been pleased.....but A: I don't know shit...B: I'm just a sample of one.
    Last edited by Breadstick; 02-03-12 at 13:23.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    This is why people should use BravoCompanyUSA.

I've seen guys with issues where they just replace the part without even requesting the original to be returned.
    Happened to me with them and Vltor. Great service!

Quote Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
    This is a very sad story. I was really rooting for PSA and their new line of inexpensive firearms.
    Me too. Oh well, glad I got something early-on before issues became prevalent. Shit happens.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast