Thread: Accuracy

Feedback Score

Accuracy

Accuracy

First let me start by saying that I have been shooting for 40 years, but have never done any reloading and only used factory ammo. I also have never done any precision shooting and have never needed better than hunting accuracy (nothing beyond 250 – 300 yards). I have just become curious as to whether the accuracy of a good rifle was more of a consistency thing, or an actual load thing.

OK, I understand that most, if not every, rifle will have some ammunition that it will shoot better than others. However, how much difference is there in accuracy between ammunition that the rifle “likes” and ammunition that it "doesn’t like”?

I understand that differences in ammunition (bullet weight, type of bullet, amount of powder, type of powder, etc.) will change the POI, but if the ammo is consistent how much will it change the accuracy/grouping of the shots? If you have a rifle that is capable of MOA accuracy with the right ammo, will the difference in ammo make it a 2 MOA, 3 MOA, 4 MOA rifle? Assuming that the ammunition is quality ammunition, and is consistent from one round to the next, will it change both the POI and the accuracy, or just the POI?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Jack View Post
    Accuracy

First let me start by saying that I have been shooting for 40 years, but have never done any reloading and only used factory ammo. I also have never done any precision shooting and have never needed better than hunting accuracy (nothing beyond 250 – 300 yards). I have just become curious as to whether the accuracy of a good rifle was more of a consistency thing, or an actual load thing.

OK, I understand that most, if not every, rifle will have some ammunition that it will shoot better than others. However, how much difference is there in accuracy between ammunition that the rifle “likes” and ammunition that it "doesn’t like”?

I understand that differences in ammunition (bullet weight, type of bullet, amount of powder, type of powder, etc.) will change the POI, but if the ammo is consistent how much will it change the accuracy/grouping of the shots? If you have a rifle that is capable of MOA accuracy with the right ammo, will the difference in ammo make it a 2 MOA, 3 MOA, 4 MOA rifle? Assuming that the ammunition is quality ammunition, and is consistent from one round to the next, will it change both the POI and the accuracy, or just the POI?

Thanks.
    I didn't realize how much difference ammunition could make until I started making my own...and realized how most premium ammo isn't premium.

But it all depends on the barrel, load, and what you're calling quality ammunition. I haven't noticed a huge difference in 55gr. loads, but most companies aren't even trying to produce high quality 55gr. stuff.

So the answer is a universal yes. Sometimes it will change the POI, sometimes it won't but will change the levels of accuracy, and sometimes it will change both.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thopkins22 View Post
    I didn't realize how much difference ammunition could make until I started making my own...and realized how most premium ammo isn't premium.
    No doubt! It's funny to hear people talking up garbage as good ammo...

To the OP:

If the gun has a good barrel, it'll shoot 1/2moa or better with a load that it likes... 1-2MOA with mediocre stuff, etc.

If you're talking about a Chrome lined gas gun, a 2 MOA load might be pretty good.... it's all relative.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v