Thread: changing speed/switching gears

Feedback Score

changing speed/switching gears

First I would like to say that I do plan on taking a class eventually. I am a former smallbore and air rifle competition shooter shto through high school and college and then shot some matches after graduation. I can shoot however it is a completely different ballgame. I am used to having 60 seconds per shot really no stress except for what you have going on in your own head blinders to block your vision so that really all you see are your sights and target. Well none of that really lends itself to shooting under external stressful conditions also I have found that I take longer to shoot since I have ingrained the "everything has to be perfect take the time you have plenty of it" mentality of target shooting.

Anyone have any ideas for getting me out of the slow speed into high speed

Feedback Score
    If your goal is to shift gears to higher speed, you might benefit from the variety of action shooting sports that reward a combination of accuracy and speed. USPSA and IDPA pistol, USPSA and other 3-gun and multi-gun are good choices.

However, you should not try to "become fast." Start at a pace where you can get all of the hits in a course of fire, then over time start pushing yourself to go a little faster. If you try to just go fast without developing the requisite skills to go with it, you'll 1) be a safety risk to others and yourself, and 2) won't get get good hits on the target, which defeats the purpose.

Good luck!

www.uspsa.org
    www.idpa.com
    www.3gunrules.com

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Since you understand the fundementals well, it's nothing more than learning to apply them faster.

Start by performing the manipulation drills slowly to learn the proper technique and form. Start increasing speed little by little, if you find youself making errors, slow down, correct them then pick it back up. Push the envelope and find that spot to where you can manipulate the weapon and related gear without the errors.

Once you get that stuff down, start adding more complex drills, same approach.

Depending on what you are doing, deploy the kit with accuracy first, speed will come. Also, understand what may be a balance in the two, acceptable accuracy(sight management/how accurate do I need to be?)

Just remember, do it right, build the base. It's nothing more than applying the fundementals. Learn the weapon system, related gear, how to care for it, how it works, etc.

Mark
    Last edited by mark5pt56; 12-20-07 at 12:44. Reason: ?
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Shot timer.

Help you figure out your baseline, and then takes you up to your threshold where you can get accurate hits at your fastest speed.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Take a Class.

A lot of shoters learn bad habits on their own, which takes a great deal of training to overcome.

and

www.goarmy.com

As for the shot timer -- they are good, however I dont think it is a good starting tool, as one will tend to rush to get "better" getting sloppy.

Of course I'm one to talk - master of sloppy draw and el snatcho
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com