25 3.58%
  • Crye

61 8.73%
  • Vel-Tye

2 0.29%
  • Other

216 30.90%
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Plate Carrier Member Survey / Review.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trackmagic View Post
    Stuka, is that a pig hydration carrier?
    From 2005 Diamondback Tactical

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Blue Force Gear LMAC

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    What Plate Carrier do you currently use?
    Crye JPC

How did you chose the make, model?
    Militarymoron had a great review up that helped me gauge how the JPC was without actually handling one. Also my previous carriers (LBT 6094A, SDS RBAV-SF) were all 1000D or 500D and I only ran a few magazines (3 or 4 at most) and water and just didn't need all that MOLLE or high denier cordura for abrasion resistance. I wanted to cut down on weight.

Likes/Dislikes Strengths/Weaknesses
    Dislikes: Plate pockets seem to be a bit small especially with soft armor, the attachment of the shoulder straps seem weak but for now are holding up.

That being said I wouldn't mind going back to the 6094A, shit was bombproof and durable and well thought out.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWindage View Post
    Iam just a civilian, this is my carbine/ shotgun training rig. Banshee with level 3 plates, no side armor. I can only compair this to the HSGI woosatch which I used for about year. I love this carrier.
    What's the long braided para cord for?

Feedback Score
    -What plate carrier do you currently use?
    Mayflower APC (have used the CIRAS and BCS in the past)

-How did you choose this make/model?
    I was looking for a light weight system that reduced bulk, but not a minimalist system. I was also looking for something that I can use under a over sized shirt or with a Crye shirt. This one PC does both of these well.
    The swift clip system is also very nice, eliminating shoulder straps makes a good stock weld a lot easier, and less material equals less weight.

-Likes/Dislikes? Strengths/weaknesses?
    PROS:
    Rides high.
    Lightweight
    high quality
    shoulder pads work well for routing com wires and hydro
    CONS:
    -
    Notes:
    I have had this PC for about 2 years now and it is the V1.0 APC. I have just ordered the another Mayflower APC in Litelok to upgrade this one. I do get to wear armor every day at work and anytime you have to push yourself with armor on, soft or full hard plates you get hot very fast, this PC is no different there. None the less I have modified my PC with the First Spear "Tubes" cummerbund, this change in the CB allows me to open the PC without noise when taking a break to improve passive cooling, and I can close it back up again in 2 seconds or less again without noise. I have also added in Velcro on the inside of the PC to mount floats for some passive airflow to reduce heat build up while climbing mountains with armor on. At the same time I can remove the 4 front and rear floats in 2 to 3 seconds if I want a lower profile with the PC under a shirt. The downside to the floats is they push your load farther away from you which adds to the leaver effect that your gear places on your body and I don't always run them.

Also due to having a destroyed back, I have also integrated a Crye low pro Blast Belt with their STKSS system into/onto my APC, this substantially reduces the strain on my back and allows me to keep working and training with a big reduction in pain and stiffness. This also very noticeably reduced the weight on my shoulders as well.

Overall I am very happy with this system. Shoot I just ordered another APC. Other than boots I have never before replaced a piece of gear with the same thing, I'm that pleased with this PC.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmaynor View Post
    What's the long braided para cord for?
    Single point weapon sling if not mistaken.
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    -What plate carrier do you currently use?
    Crye JPC

-How did you choose this make/model?
    By actually training and doing weapons quals with it. I was more mobile, more comfortable, and had better qual scores with it. It's also a well built properly executed design.

-Likes/Dislikes? Strengths/weaknesses?

Likes (in no order):
    - Lightweight
    - very minimalist
    - built-in Rifle mag pouches
    - stretchy material on backside of plate pockets keeps armor tight
    - not too much use of Velcro
    - comfortable

Dislikes:
    The fact they cost $250... but you get what you pay for. It's just harder to buy multiple rigs for work and training.

Edited to add pic.

I run my JPC with 3 rifle mags in the built-in pouches, 1 MARZ shorty AR pouch on the cummerbund, and one Frag pouch on the opposite side. Radio pouch on the back.

I also have a BFG LMAC which is ok, but not my flavor for a deployment.
    Last edited by Dave L.; 02-04-13 at 09:17. Reason: ADD PIC
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    This is the promised reply for the Shellback Banshee (also own a Mayflower APC and Eagle LE CIRAS).

-What plate carrier do you currently use? Banshee by Shellback

-How did you choose this make/model? low price

-Likes/Dislikes? Strengths/weaknesses? The low price of this unit makes it a easy decision to purchase it. I was looking for a black plate carrier that I could throw over my work wear (police, both uniforms and plain clothes assignments) for active shooter/ increased risked situations. I have a Eagle armor carrier that can also carry my rifle plates, but I wanted a light weight option. My coyote brown Mayflower APC would be great for the task, but due to the color I opted against it (now that our dept policy has changed, I'm revisiting the Mayflower )

Cons to the Banshee. I did not like the one size fit all approach. My large plates extended past the fabric. The place carrier looked tiny on me.

I also did not like the cummerbund. It would always get off center and every time I'd put the plate carrier on, the sides would go in different places (which would move around all the items on the sides).

Pros to the Banshee. I liked the built in options (that my more expensive APC did not have). Like the drag handle, and the wire/tube stays on the shoulder straps. Also to whom it concerns, the Banshee is very well built. Good materials used.

I added HSGI shoulder pads and a Area PC silencer. The PC silencer helped out with the cummerbund issue.

Overall I like the Mayflower a lot more. And I'm gonna probably switch back to that. I really wish I could afford plates for the Banshee and the Mayflower but I can only afford one set lol. I'd really love to keep the Banshee for a backup, but I'm probably gonna end up selling it along with a ton of pouches I got for it.
    Last edited by Elements223; 01-28-13 at 13:47.

Feedback Score

Plate Carrier Member Survey / Review.

HSGI Woosatch E and TAG Rampage.

HSGI Woosatch E
    I got it because I found a good deal on it and it's a simple put it on and fasten a single buckle rig for use as an active shooter rig to keep in the trunk of my patrol car. It's well built and fairly lightweight. It does have limited area to put pouches on(inherent to almost all similar carriers) and the plate pouches could use some straps to keep the plated in position a little higher. Overall it does a good job for what I need it for and the only major issue I have with it(the plate pockets) is an easy to fix one. Overall a B+ based on my needs.

TAG Rampage
    Found a good deal on it and I wanted a cummerbund style carrier with the ability to run soft armor and plates for when I'm called out or have time to prepare on duty. It's well built overall, but the shoulder strap could use some tweaking to make the adjustment more user friendly for a wider variety of sizes. The mesh on the inside make it more comfortable in the summer, but may reduce long term durability. The cummerbund is not fixed to the rear, but a couple of zip ties, some para cord or shock cord will fix that. Overall a B+ for my needs.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Good thread. Just bought some plates. Need a rig.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast