25 3.58%
  • Crye

61 8.73%
  • Vel-Tye

2 0.29%
  • Other

216 30.90%
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Plate Carrier Member Survey / Review.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Antonio5005 View Post
    One weakness I found to me was the shoulder pads. The mesh material that sits on your shoulders really dug into my neck leaving it raw feeling only after a few minutes of wearing it. Tried wearing it without them but the 16 pounds worth of plates really began to dig in. So, I opted for the SKD shoulder pads. They are a match made in heaven. They aren't much wider than the shoulder straps so they fit and feel perfect! If anyone else experiences the same issue, you should look into those.
    I replace mine with ones from Blue Force Gear. MUCH better than the Mayflower ones.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Antonio5005 View Post
    -Likes/Dislikes? Strengths/weaknesses?
    One weakness I found to me was the shoulder pads. The mesh material that sits on your shoulders really dug into my neck leaving it raw feeling only after a few minutes of wearing it. Tried wearing it without them but the 16 pounds worth of plates really began to dig in. So, I opted for the SKD shoulder pads. They are a match made in heaven. They aren't much wider than the shoulder straps so they fit and feel perfect! If anyone else experiences the same issue, you should look into those.
    Here is what I was talking about for anyone that may have questions about it. Not much of a selfie person and the camera pic is horrible, but... for the sake of contributing...

Shoulder Pads-2.jpg

On my left side is the Mayflower shoulder pads and on my right is the SKD. That little bit of difference in size is huge and keeps from rubbing on my neck when wearing a t-shirt underneath.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Q: What plate carrier do you currently use?

A: I currently run a London Bridge Trading LBT-6094B

Q: How did you choose this make/model?

A: I ran the 6094 while I served in the military and once I left the service I tried numerous other carriers. I never found one that seem to fit the bill. I returned to LBT and have been happy with it.

Q: Likes/Dislikes? Strengths/weaknesses?

A: Likes; I love the mobility that the LBT-6094B allows while protecting my vitals. The 6094B provides enough real estate for my needs. The quality of LBT along with their customer service is unmatched. Built in radio pockets on the cummberbund allows me to get rid of an addition pouch.

Dislikes; The only issue that I have ever had with the 6094B is the lack of armor compartment behind the radio compartment in the cummberbund.
    "Remember No Matter How Good You Are; There's Always Someone Better or Luckier Than You."

Feedback Score
    Q: What plate carrier do you currently use?

SKD PIG Plate Carrier

Q: How did you choose this make/model?

I previously used a condor plate carrier from Steel Defender. Not bad but I wanted something better. I belong to several forums including this one so I inquired as to what a lot of guys where using overseas and in classes. The PIG was highly recommended.

Q: Likes/Dislikes? Strengths/weaknesses?

Pro- The PIG is definitely more comfortable than my previous carrier and it's easy to attach items and the plates sit well. This was the first time I bought an item from SKD, I placed my order at 10pm and they filled my order at 3am that night. I had my carrier in 2 days, I didn't request or pay for any faster shipping, very good service.

Con- The PIG is more expensive than a lot of other models, but I guess its true you get what you pay for.

In summary I like this carrier, mine is coyote tan and comfortable, I would buy it again.

Feedback Score

Plate Carrier Member Survey / Review.

-What plate carrier do you currently use?
    Shellback Tactical - Banshee

-How did you choose this make/model?
    Recommended by a friend and YouTube research

Strength - I like the way it is put together with easily removed plates and easy to throw on in a hurry.
    Weakness - Could use a better way to mount side plates on the cumber-bun

Picture added at my leisure.

Last edited by ex95B10; 11-17-15 at 12:42.
    RANGE TIME on Facebook
    RANGE TIME on Instagram
    RANGE TIME on Twitter
    NRA Life Member/RSO

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Plate Carrier Member Survey / Review.

Finally posting some of my thoughts.

-What plate carrier do you currently use?
    Mayflower APC

-How did you choose this make/model?
    It seemed to have all of the features I wanted: quality, price, durability, modularity, and still relatively low profile. I had a chance to try it on at a shop and compare it with a BFG LMAC and preferred it by a relatively small margin. Lots of positive reviews on here helped.

Overall it's a great PC. The strengths are well-documented and I have been very pleased. I've had one for maybe about three years and it's seen relatively little use - a few workouts and runs, and a two day class. Up until recently I had only been using Velocity's soft armor backers and Team Wendy training plates. I finally bought some hard plates recently which brings me to where I have mixed feelings. The soft armor and training plates fit great, they were both SAPI cut. My new plates and soft armor are 10x12 cut. The website states that the medium APC will fit 10x12, which it does, but not very well IMO. It is definitely sized for a medium SAPI cut. For someone that had never really messed with armor before, I'm kind of disappointed that the plates don't fit better. I don't know that there are any functional issues with it as I haven't really gotten to test the setup, but it doesn't feel great with initial handling. The 10x12s are too wide at the top, so they don't fill the top of the PC. And I think because of that, the carrier gets slightly bunched on the inside from having the internal retaining strap up so high. None of these are necessarily flaws of the carrier itself, if it was better advertised that the SAPI cut has the ideal fit. Just something I wanted to point out for others.

ETA - I had been eyeing OP Tactical's collaboration with Mayflower on the APC since it was released. I liked the removable front flap for when I finally buy a chest rig, the slightly redesigned shoulder pads, and slightly larger room in the admin pouch. After my disappointment with the fit of my plates, I decided to give one a shot. The MBAV-APC has more room in the top of the plate pockets and fits my plates better. It works great and I'm very pleased with it overall. I got the small cummerbund for my regular APC for my wife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 12-12-15 at 22:10.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    What plate carrier do you currently use?

Mayflower APC in Ranger Green

How did you choose this make/model?

Wanted something high and tight with clips for attaching a chest rig, webbing on back for hydration.

Likes/Dislikes? Strengths/weaknesses?

Pros: Shoulder straps closer together means less muscle fatigue in shoulders. Relatively slim and trim cut. Doesn't bounce around. Cummerbund takes 6x8 IIIa or plates. Construction is top notch. No mesh backing means no clogging with debris.

Cons: Shoulder pads chafe the neck; can pull the shirt collar in or wear a higher collar. The S/M size is ideal for Medium SAPI cut, but 10x12 shooter cut won't fit all the way, leaving a 1 inch gap at the top. No padding or air flow on front or back. Back plate strap is in the middle right up against the spine; had to add a pair of 3/8 foam pontoons inside the pocket to resolve that. Cummerbund elastic is only a couple inches long and so doesn't leave much room for breathing when using a snug fit.

Overall
    After adding an SKD elastic cummerbund with plate pockets, and the internal pontoons for the back plate, it now fits and feels perfect. I like the versatility of chest rig vs chest pouches, kangaroo pouch, double internal admin pockets at the top.
    Last edited by herkle; 03-26-16 at 03:33.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by herkle View Post
    What plate carrier do you currently use?

Mayflower APC in Ranger Green

How did you choose this make/model?

Wanted something high and tight with clips for attaching a chest rig, webbing on back for hydration.

Likes/Dislikes? Strengths/weaknesses?

Pros: Shoulder straps closer together means less muscle fatigue in shoulders. Relatively slim and trim cut. Doesn't bounce around. Cummerbund takes 6x8 IIIa or plates. Construction is top notch. No mesh backing means no clogging with debris.

Cons: Shoulder pads chafe the neck; can pull the shirt collar in or wear a higher collar. The S/M size is ideal for Medium SAPI cut, but 10x12 shooter cut won't fit all the way, leaving a 1 inch gap at the top. No padding or air flow on front or back. Back plate strap is in the middle right up against the spine; had to add a pair of 3/8 foam pontoons inside the pocket to resolve that. Cummerbund elastic is only a couple inches long and so doesn't leave much room for breathing when using a snug fit.

Overall
    After adding an SKD elastic cummerbund with plate pockets, and the internal pontoons for the back plate, it now fits and feels perfect. I like the versatility of chest rig vs chest pouches, kangaroo pouch, double internal admin pockets at the top.
    Check out OP Tactical's shoulder pads for the APC.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Check out OP Tactical's shoulder pads for the APC.
    I use pads from Blue Force Gear on mine.

Feedback Score
    I've found the hsgi shoulder pads to be superb. Have used them on every PC I've worn. I have the APC as well, and while it's a huge bang for your buck, I didn't like the shoulder pads at all.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast