25 3.58%
  • Crye

61 8.73%
  • Vel-Tye

2 0.29%
  • Other

216 30.90%
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Plate Carrier Member Survey / Review.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    - What plate carrier do you currently use?
    Tactical Assault Gear Plate Carrier (http://www.tacticalassaultgearstore....e-carrier.html)

-How did you choose this make/model?
    It was issued by my unit and like it better than standard body armor with better range of motion

-Likes/Dislikes? Strengths/weaknesses?
    Likes: Strong elastic cumberbund; has room on the front for 4 mags (single shingles, or 3-mag shingle + single shingle) vs 3 mags
    Dislikes: Hhow the cumberbund attaches (side), by lifting up the side panel, which becomes a PITA if you put pistol mags there.

Feel free to include picture at your leisure.
    Pic to post later

Feedback Score
    Here's what I use https://libertydefenseconcepts.wordp...armor-carrier/

SDS/BAE Systems Releasable Body Armor Vest

wwww.facebook.com.com/LibertyDefenseConcepts
    IG: @Liberty_Defense_Concepts
    libertydefenseconcepts.wordpress.com

Feedback Score

Main carriers

I currently use a few plate carriers, i was not allowed to choose more than one option... but i will list them now. I have much more than just these carriers but these are the ones that i feel i would actually use.

Crye CPC-
    I chose this model because i wanted the best load bearing plate carrier on the market, made by a reputable company that had quality US made gear with good designs. The CPC has always been at the top of my list.

I like how well it can distribute weight and how well it wraps around your body as well as the ventilation. Without doubt the quality is superb and the workmanship is masterful (I would not expect anything less than that from a $750 carrier).

The things i do not like about this carrier, that i feel could improve would be the harness. Its rather bulky, i wish I had the option of having MOLLE instead of two built in radio pouches, as well as the option for a skeletal cummerbund. (which would make this a Crye NCPC) I wish the CPC had the modularity of the AVS, or at least near it. I have an AVS as well, and i feel the CPC is definitely better at weight distribution due to the thicker larger harness arms, as well as the more padded shoulder straps.

Crye JPC-
    I chose this model because i wanted something low profile that held plates and would not hinder the shouldering of my rifle. I also wanted it to be light.

I absolutely love the design of the shoulder straps, especially the hypalon in the front. It feels like there is nothing there when you shoulder your rifle, its a great feeling. I also love how it weighs very little.

I do wish there was velcro on the inside where i could mount PIG pontoons, the bare plates resting against my back was rather uncomfortable for extended periods.

LBT 6094B Slick-
    I chose this model because i wanted a low profile slick carrier to integrate with chest rigs, namely my LBT 1961A, LBT 1961K and LBT 1961G. Plus i found one for $75, so i wasn't complaining.

I like how simplistic this carrier is, and how well it integrates with LBT chest rigs.

The cummerbund i felt was a bit small for the size, i wish the cummerbund would have been longer and slightly thicker (Width wise)

LBT 6094B Swimmer cut-
    I chose this model because I needed a more "General purpose" carrier that could be scaled up or down for various tasks. My specific model is the 2010 version in Coyote tan. Which means it has LBT's old gen quality.
    I also wanted to try out swimmer cut plates, and the benefits of the smaller plate and steeper cut.

I like how durable this carrier is, the quality, worksmanship and materials i would describe as some of the best i have ever personally seen. I like how simple the design is, how there is nothing that i do not need. I also like how the front and back platebags have slight padding.

I don't really have any complaints about this carrier, Its basically no-BS kit, that can perform various roles and not fail on me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A Student once said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?"
    The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war."

Gear, or rifles are only as good as the user. Even if a rifle is true to an inch at a mile, even if gear is as light as a feather, yet as durable as leather, it is limited by its user. Invest in training.

Feedback Score
    -What plate carrier do you currently use?
    I recently bought a Condor Sentry Plate Carrier/chest rig in Coyote Tan...

-How did you choose this make/model?
    I've never had a PC/Chest Rig and now that I'm doing a lot of movement shooting and varmint hunting on farmland I figured I would like to have a bit of protection and start with something simple to learn what I like and don't like to see what direction it may take me!

-Likes/Dislikes? Strengths/weaknesses?
    I really like the minimalist profile, shoulder straps, side strap adjustments, and the fact that I can comfortably wear my 3-day pack with it! I didn't want it cluttered up but more as an addition to my range belt! I have front and back plates (tested out to .308) being made that will be coated with Rhino coat! I did add a Condor triple M4 mag pouch and a Condor Admin pouch along with a couple of 5.11 accessory straps to the back for gear lash points.

My only dislike is the drag handle on the back but I am going to reinforce it so that there is no chance of failure...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jayclimber; 07-15-16 at 15:53.

Feedback Score
    What plate carrier do you currently use?

Currently rocking a Ferro Concepts Slickster.

How did you choose this make/model?

I chose it because I wanted a concealable plate carrier I can wear on duty so I can utilize rifle plates. Especially with all of the assassinations of officers and the civil unrest currently occurring.

Likes/Dislikes? Strengths/weaknesses?

So far I like it. It's fairly comfortable (shoulder straps could use a touch of padding but not bad), lightweight and very adaptable to pretty much anything. With the included buckles, It can go from concealed to an external rig that I can slap a D3CR onto and go from there and it secures down thanks to hook and loop being everywhere. The cumberbunds also have 4 elastic sleeves on each side for a total of 8 that can take AR mags, smokes, OSS IFAK, lights, or similarly sized items.

I haven't been wearing it for long so we will see how well it holds up or if any opinions change.

I will include a picture when I can get to it. Here is an image from the internet for now

1690604_147169968947494_1352807814_n.jpg
    Worry less, Train more.

Feedback Score

For private outdoor sporting use

How did you choose this make/model?

From RAV, CAGE, JPC, T3's and others, some looked nice just sitting on the shelf (until I put them on and took them out for a test drive) and others had even more undesirable features for my use. Overall, the LBT6094s were the ones reached for most often and used.

In recent years, almost exclusively, the 6094 Releasable and 6094 Releasable Underway (Video posted only just so you can see what The Releasable Underway looks like)

have become the choice. If forced to pick one, it would be the Releasable Underway. Given its versatility, in having a release and being able to be run with or without the foam, for outdoor sporting and most any other use.

Non Underway, Release only version (old)

https://youtu.be/19-nelwZqqI

Foreign language airsoft gamer review, you can see the release on the non Underway, Release only version. Sorry I can't find in depth pro reviews on any of these for you.

https://youtu.be/l9XS8Sal1Is

The Releasable only versions are kept only for extremely hot weather use now, given the backing.

If color does not matter, wait for a good sale to pick up the Releasable only one directly from LBT

http://lbtinc.com/modular-sentinel-r...-plate-carrier

The Releasable only in MultiCam are generally on sale at LBT. Unfortunately, this and the other standard colors are used by LE and other official entities, in the areas we frequent.

So LBT MAS Grey has become the private user friendly color of choice. To not be identified as official at ranges and other outdoor use activities. If anything so far, you get recognized as a collector airsoft gamer type, to break the ice, reduce tensions and even receive complements from others, who are surprisingly more familiar about the color and product. Another benefit, LBT has not yet printed the MAS Grey logo in the fabric with a logo like multicam has, so no blackhawk billboard look. Another plus, the MAS Grey color may hold value better, if I sell the PC's in the future or LBT restricts it again.

If color matters, you want a Release Underway and can wait, the limited run LBT 6094 Releasable Underway in MAS Grey here done Not For Profit below

https://www.facebook.com/LBT-London-...9057536971970/

has become my best choice of all worlds, to replace almost everything. With the hope to move away from having many different types, that I seldom use and to have a few spares of the same type, until the next carrier design comes along.

If I could replace all of my PC's for this version and color only, I would do so. I am looking at my older LBT non releasable versions and seriously considering getting rid of all of them. Since I am placing a great value into this recyclable release system. Having it also come with the underway just completes the package.

Some Likes

I am still learning. The best LBT customer service, Familiarity. Comfort. Release system. The Release and Underway system together, may be the best combo yet, for as close to an all in one I can get. If wearing a PC for anything, then I need a way to easily release it. I am able to release these faster than the non LBT releasable versions. So they work for me.

No release is perfect and you will still carry cutters as backups. But for outdoor use, it's nice not having to cut the straps off repeatedly, when you feel the need to release it.

Fortunately at this time, the ESAPI B and C's are still 8 wide on the front and back, so that is a positive. Perhaps most official users are using inserts only and some clip on pouches, so that may not be important to them. I still prefer separate molle pouches and every inch must count.

Even with molle, I prefer to use standard multi use mag pouches, that fit multiple weapons. Since I do not like having to take off and put on again, molle pouches using pliers. My fingers are not suited to the task. This being the case, I need a carrier setup ready for each different weapon, plus the normal spares, like everything else. So the .308, .223 and others, each need a carrier of their own, which is my preference. Unless I am able to switch to mag inserts or some combination of the two. I don't like fad clip on pouches.

Up-gradable over time with accessories, like CASS.

Fortunately these plate carriers have not appeared in any movies or popular instagram hero accounts yet, so the prices are at normal levels, for now. Maybe for each 3 of my older LBT carriers I can sell, I may be able to get one Releasable Underway. Seems like a fair exchange, for something made brand new in LBT MAS Grey (that's not tactical looking black or multicam) and I can keep things close to the same.

Some Dislikes

Armor

Soft armor is compartmentalized into 4 separate panels, with some gaps depending how cummerbund is adjusted.

Since the edges of most soft armor panels may not be rated to stop anything. The effective coverage may be less, than my preference, for an overlapping front and rear only 2 piece soft armor package design.

Soft armor coverage is minimal, if increased, who knows, it might lose its low profile comfort appeal.

Radio pocket underside do not have armor protection. If running one radio, it is possible to close the unused radio pocket side under the front cummerbund flap. However, the used radio side is unarmored.

Armor cuts are limited, unless custom runs are done. If they offered more plate bag options than Crye. Or a version that could accept more than one cut. It would be a benefit to those of us who have many types of different cut armor. Who knows, depending on the price, it still might be cheaper to go for a whole new carrier than just a spare front.

Fabric and webbing

For private purchase use, I prefer the 1000D fabric and heavier duty webbing exclusively, like the type used in many Old Gen LBT6094 standard color carriers. Unfortunately, the Releasable, Releasable Underway and other colors, come in the lighter fabrics only. Unless we have time to wait for custom runs.

Given the private purchase nature of the product, the lighter fabrics are not abused and run as hard as the Old Gen non releasable. When placing molle pouches, I tend to leave them on, for fear of tearing the fabric and webbing with repeated removal and installations.

For the professional official users, who have ample replacements, I can fully appreciate the lighter fabrics will absorb less water and save weight. Comparing two equally setup 6094s heavy and light fabric, the weight savings becomes noticeable and and important factor.

The webbing on the front and rear may have been reduced from 8 to 6 on some newer Swimmer cuts. Reducing the capacity of the rig for those of us who prefer external molle pouches.

Kangaroo

Wish they would expand the cavity for different thicker mag types.

Mag pouch do not fit and Shock cord mag snag, on non M4 type mag types. Not a justifiable gripe since they are marketed for M4. I wish they offered more different options soon.

With the kangaroo installed, the edges will also curl up with thick mags. It is a minor gripe, but I prefer external pouches so it is a non issue really.

At minimum, all I really need is one spare rifle and maybe a handgun mag, so an all in one insert just might work for me.
    Last edited by desert; 01-07-17 at 23:03.

Feedback Score
    Just bought my grey Mayflower APC. Size is S/M (I'm a skinny dude). Looking to get plates for it but am seeing a lot of people say that 10x12 shooter's cut plates won't fit all the way up inside the pocket.

Anyone know if this will: http://www.ar500armor.com/ar500-armo...ody-armor.html
    or should I stick to: http://www.ar500armor.com/ar500-armo...ody-armor.html

I'm also guessing the Mayflower will fit the 10x12 backplate just fine, though.

I'm looking to spend <$300, for front and back plates, as lightweight as possible, and am open to suggestions.
    Last edited by stnwl; 04-18-17 at 16:29.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by stnwl View Post
    Just bought my grey Mayflower APC. Size is S/M (I'm a skinny dude). Looking to get plates for it but am seeing a lot of people say that 10x12 shooter's cut plates won't fit all the way up inside the pocket.

Anyone know if this will: http://www.ar500armor.com/ar500-armo...ody-armor.html
    or should I stick to: http://www.ar500armor.com/ar500-armo...ody-armor.html

I'm also guessing the Mayflower will fit the 10x12 backplate just fine, though.

I'm looking to spend <$300 and am open to suggestions.
    http://www.skdtac.com/SKD-Armor-10-x...-p/amr.905.htm is what I use in my Mayflower APC. I also wear s/m and you can get them all the way up with the inside adjustment strap if needed. They are 10.4% off at checkout today only and only 40 more bucks then your looking to spend. I would go that route over the ar500 ones you linked.
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 04-18-17 at 16:21.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwknutson17 View Post
    http://www.skdtac.com/SKD-Armor-10-x...-p/amr.905.htm is what I use in my Mayflower APC. I also wear s/m and you can get them all the way up with the inside adjustment strap if needed. They are 10.4% off at checkout today only and only 40 more bucks then your looking to spend. I would go that route over the ar500 ones you linked.
    Do they have any protection against spalling?

What's wrong with the ar500 plates? Is it because they are popular or are there serious issues with the company/product?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm just a hobbyist, but I've used several different carriers (over the past 8-10 years) before settling on the LBT6094A.

I tried:
    - HSGI WaSatch (this must be made for giants)
    - HSGI WeeSatch (felt like I had two sheets of plywood hung over my shoulders by rope)
    - Diamondback Tactical ...don't remember the model (was very well made. In fact, it was so overbuilt I found it too hot to wear)
    - Eagle CIRAS (was too bulky for my tastes)
    - LBT 6094 Slick (no place to hang pouches)
    - LBT 6094 Low Vis (see above)

The last PC I tried, and still use is a LBT 6094A. It is absolutely everything I needed and wanted in a carrier. Quality is outstanding, design is perfect, and it fits like it was made personally for me.
    Last edited by Arch; 06-22-17 at 09:31.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast