Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Problems with first .223 load

Feedback Score

Problems with first .223 load

I am not new to load developement but this is my first venture with the .223. I have been lurking around in different forums to find a decent plinking round for my Del-Ton 1/9 cl 16" M4. I picked up a pound of h335, 1000 hornady 55fmj-bt w/c and I already had 5000 cci 41 primers to use. I am usung once fired Federal brass.

Ok here is were the problem starts. Hodsgons, hornady, and Lyman all have different min and max loads. So I loaded up 5 rounds each 21.6-26.1 (no signs of any presssure) in .5 increments loaded to 2.200 with a slight crimp from lee FCD. I am shooting from a bullbag at 100 yrds and for some reason i can not get a group less that 5-6 inches. what am i doing wrong?

My thoughts were to go to (1)2.260 on the length (2) not crimp.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    How does it shoot with factory ammo.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well the first thing I see wrong is you are seating the bullet too deep. Your cartridge overall length with 55 FMJBT should be 2.250 not 2.200.

The Hornady 55 FMJBT is a very accurate bullet. I typically get 5 shots into 1.5 moa through my rack grade non-free float carbine.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Not according to the Hornady manual, they specify 2.200 on the FMJ-BT's.

OP: I charge 24.5 to 25.0 of H335 with the Hornady 55gr FMJ-BT w/c for my 14.5 BCM middy and there's a ton of user data out there on this load but I do NOT crimp them. I've had good success so far with them. 5pins asked the key question - how does your Del-Ton normally perform?
    Last edited by royal; 02-11-12 at 18:33.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
    Well the first thing I see wrong is you are seating the bullet too deep. Your cartridge overall length with 55 FMJBT should be 2.250 not 2.200.

The Hornady 55 FMJBT is a very accurate bullet. I typically get 5 shots into 1.5 moa through my rack grade non-free float carbine.
    Wrong...I just checked my Hornady loading manual..They list the 55gr Hornady FMJBT at 2.200 OAL.. I also use these and seat them to the top of the canunlure, and get a OAL of 2.215 +or- .002 ..I'd try some a box of factory ammo and see how it shoots with that..How many rounds has been through this rifle? I'd say if you get the same size groups with factory ammo as you do your loads then, maybe look at the barrel..
    There's a race of men who don't fit in, A race that can't stay still, So, they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    Wrong...I just checked my Hornady loading manual..They list the 55gr Hornady FMJBT at 2.200 OAL.. I also use these and seat them to the top of the canunlure, and get a OAL of 2.215 +or- .002 ..I'd try some a box of factory ammo and see how it shoots with that..How many rounds has been through this rifle? I'd say if you get the same size groups with factory ammo as you do your loads then, maybe look at the barrel..
    Im use the Sierra and Speer manuals which specify 2.250. I don't crimp either. If 2.200 is working for you than by all means keep doing it

The other issue might be with choosing a poor quality AR. Del Ton is not a well regarded manufacturer.
    Last edited by Nightvisionary; 02-11-12 at 18:53.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    DId you trim to length its very important in the ar? What dies are you using and how are you throwing youre charge weights? I want to know the dies cause you may be having issue with neck tension.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    How does it shoot with factory ammo.
    The rifle is used for 2 gun competition. Most of the courses are at close range So I use a red dot zeroed at 25 yards. I do pretty good in the couses . I just moved my scope off of my 6.8 to do the load development. I have not shot my m4 out to 100 yards with factory ammo and a scope but at 100 yards with a 3moa red i can get about 4" shooting off a bull bag.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    DId you trim to length its very important in the ar? What dies are you using and how are you throwing youre charge weights? I want to know the dies cause you may be having issue with neck tension.
    Lee dies and throwing them with a hornady powder thrower then trickling them to the desired charge weight. Have not needed to trim becuase the brass is between 1.744-1.748.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm using Lee's (Pacesetter) and the same Hornady setup as you. Put a batch together without the crimp @ 24-24.5. My Lee seating die applies good neck tension without the FCD.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast