Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you store your ammo?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

How do you store your ammo?

I'm not looking for your secret pass code or anything, just some ideas.

I'm looking at something like this but am a bit leery of the cost ($350 at Home Depot for the 36" wide model).

I'm thinking maybe I need to hit some used office-supply places or something?

I think I want something metal, lockable, and big enough to hold all of it in one place. I may even consider building a shell around it to add some fire resistance to it.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I use heavy duty Rubbermaid shelves in the garage. I have about 18,000 rounds on hand, 14,000 of which is 9mm or 5.56. I rent so I don't have the option of anything too crazy to store ammo.
    "It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner."

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Red face

30mm & 40mm ammo cans, stuffed in a closet (and along the wall) of my in-home office. With 50k of ammo (12K of 5.56 and 10k of .308 alone), it's a LOTTA cans! I'm like you Rob - need to build a bunker/shell or something for it, but my in-home office doubles as gunroom/mancave; my wife's just happy it's not scattered over the REST of the house... anymore...
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    In 30 & 50 cal cans. I have to change things around though. I need to isolate & secure the gun stuff better.

My son is getting to mobile, I'm going to be building a dividing wall and installing a steel door to the gun section of the utility room. I had thought about using fire resistant dry wall to line the room with.
    Last edited by JeepDriver; 06-08-11 at 08:35.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Smile

orange home depot job box.

-a few hundred bucks.

-ugly, the wife will kill you if you park it in the living room

+not quite a safe, but lockable (usually two padlocks on each side)

+loaded down with ammo, nobody is going to be able to move it unless you are The Hulk or have a forklift.

+also good for storing valuables like mags etc.

+won't tip over like a storage cabinet.

+come in various sizes.
    Last edited by 30 cal slut; 06-08-11 at 08:10.
    Doing my part to keep malls safe

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Though I don't use them for ammo storage, I did pick up a few horizontal filing cabinets, like those used in medical offices, to use in the garage. They are made to hold a lot of weight—I have them stuffed with tools and all kinds of crap—and on the ones I have, the front of the drawer lifts up and slides back, so you can use it like a cabinet with shelves that slide out. Most have keyed locks on them.

I got mine at an auction for a business that closed. I looked at used office furniture places, but they wanted too much for them. You may check for auctions in your area to see if any will be for sale. I also got a couple of upright cabinets similar to the one you show from Home Depot, but the ones I got do not have locks.
    “All falsehood is a mask, and however well made the mask may be, with a little attention we may always distinguish it from the true face.”

State of Franklin Training Group

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Really? This is 1990s ARFcom subject matter... for when we got tired of talking about how a 1/7 twist barrel would wear out faster than a 1/9.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Really? This is 1990s ARFcom subject matter... for when we got tired of talking about how a 1/7 twist barrel would wear out faster than a 1/9.
    ...and it's not Thursday so no discussions about M4 feed ramps.

(sorry, couldn't resist)

And to stay inline with the original question..... 50 cal ammo cans in the closet.
    Last edited by sl4mdaddy; 06-08-11 at 08:57.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Proud Son of a former Tomb Guard

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Back on topic...

Just finishing up construction of a 6' tall 26.5" wide angle iron constructed shelving system to hold 16 50 cal cans & 8 40mm cans with a 1' opening at the bottom.

Roughly 97' of angle iron invested so far.

Still needs painting & bolting to the wall/floor next to the safe, and finish up the door/locking system.
    Last edited by kdcgrohl; 06-08-11 at 09:36.
    "A 'sporting purpose' is what we use to describe actions taken with a football." -S.W.A.T. Magazine

"...if you are cruising the ghetto looking for crack and tranny hookers and you shoot their transgender pimp for staring at you the wrong way, then yeah, you might have a problem." -Iraqgunz

Feedback Score
    First the ammo goes into 30, 50 and SAW cans, then is stacked into a steel gun cabinet. The cabinet is a "Stackon" brand I believe, they can be found at most sports stores in various sizes with prices begining at a little over $100. It is lockable.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...1&merchID=4006

Here is a quick link that I found. Probably not the best route but has worked well for me.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast