Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W 627pc

Feedback Score

S&W 627pc

Looking to buy one, 8 shot, 2.6in bbl.

Anyone own one or have any opinions? Finding them for about $950 currently.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have a 327 NG, the "Night Guard" scandium 2.5-inch 8-round model. Although your 627 is steel and will be a litlle heavier (and a bit less felt recoil) it will likely shoot well. It will be a little beast with full-patch loads (lots of noise, blast, and flash). I actually think its a lot of fun to run magnums through a snub.

You likely would be best served by a set of Hogue grips on it, wooden ones maybe a bit tough on you.

Best of luck and enjoy your new pistol!

Feedback Score
    I enjoy shooting mine. If you want a challenge you can try to find a pre lock version, seen below.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The .357 cartridge would be better served with a longer barrel. The N-frame "snubbies" that pop up from time to time seem to offer nothing over a 4" version except the illusion of concealability, poorer velocity, and a shorter sight radius. That said, if you dig it, go for it.

Rosco

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HelmandHunter View Post
    Looking to buy one, 8 shot, 2.6in bbl.

Anyone own one or have any opinions? Finding them for about $950 currently.
    Recently bought a 627 Pro. Only got one match through it, so jury's still out. The pro series ships with a Wolff spring (probably a type-2 by the look of it). I'm reasonably sure the PC guns do the same. You definitely need to test it with all brands of primer you might conceivably use.

I've got two newer frame-mounted firing pin revolvers and neither is reliable with a wolff spring of any stripe. I tried three different wolff Type-1 (aka "factory strength") springs in a 686-5, including two of the newer gray-coated thicker springs, and none of them would light off CCI primers reliably, even with an Apex extended firing pin and a replacement, unmodified strain screw. With the factory spring it will light off anything, and has been doing so as my main IDPA SSR gun for about a decade now. Granted, that particular gun only has about 8k on it, but still.

The wolff spring that shipped with my new 627 pro had one failure to fire with my Federal primer handloads. I suppose it could have been a bum primer. I haven't decided if I'm going to install a factory spring before the next match or just try it again and see.

In contrast, about 10 years ago I sent a 681 (hammer mounted firing pin) to the performance center for an action job, part of which involved installing a wolff type-1 spring. It has never failed to set off a primer.

Wolff has made numerous changes to their S&W revo mainsprings in the last few years to adapt to the "new" FMFP setup. Tread very carefully.
    Last edited by jh9; 12-03-12 at 11:22.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosco Benson View Post
    The .357 cartridge would be better served with a longer barrel. The N-frame "snubbies" that pop up from time to time seem to offer nothing over a 4" version except the illusion of concealability, poorer velocity, and a shorter sight radius. That said, if you dig it, go for it.

Rosco
    This is true, but they sure do look sharp.
    Elections have consequences.

Feedback Score
    Bet that packs a nice kick

Feedback Score
    What is the Pre-lock version?

Nevermind, I just educated myself!
    Last edited by HelmandHunter; 12-08-12 at 21:31.

Feedback Score

S&W 627pc

I have a 4" Pro Series and a 5" Performance center 627. They're great revolvers. I do prefer a Hogue Tamer on them since my PC came with a two finger grip. The weight allows the recoil to be very manageable. I do 125 grain 357s with no issue. It is also what I shoot out of a Snubby 357.

However, right now, I'm carrying a S&W Performance Center 586 L-Comp 7 round 357 with a 3" barrel. The L frame is a little easier to carry than an N frame.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I picked one up a few years ago as an impulse buy. The first time out, I tried various ammo and had 50% FTF. Shipped it back to S&W and they took care of it. I haven't shot it much since and it is tough to shoot with the factory stocks.

O

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast