Thread: Colt Agent .38 special Value????

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Colt Agent .38 special Value????

My neighbor has a Colt Agent .38 special that she is interested in possibly selling to me. I have no clue what this revolver is worth. I want to give her a fair price.

Blued finish that I would say is probably in 85% condition(bit of holster wear). There is a little bit of rust, but not much. I believe it is a 1965 model as the serial number is 161XXXLW and according to proofhouse.com it fits in that serial number range. I believe the grips are original as well. It looks like it was carried a lot and fired a little. It also has an old leather Buckheimer B1 holster.

Feedback Score
    Nice old gun. I love my old D frames, even though I could never shoot them as well as a Smith.

They seem to change hands at around 3-450. A minty in the box one might bring a bit more. Doesn't seem to be as much interest in them as shooters as there was in the past.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The gun broker prices for a, to me, beat up gun seem to be 400-500. There is one that is basically new in box(minus the box) for $899 and there is one that is a 1966 that is in, probably 5% better condition than this one, for $775.

I found a place locally that deals in all kinds of old revolvers, lever actions and what not I am going to take it to to get it appraised.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ask around at Colt Forum. They are extremely knowledgeable with Colt Revolvers especially...Colt Forum - Colt Revolvers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbonez View Post
    Ask around at Colt Forum. They are extremely knowledgeable with Colt Revolvers especially...Colt Forum - Colt Revolvers.

You'll mainly get an idea of what they'd like to get for their guns, or lowball offers. Searching Gunbroker completed listings is a far better resource for what stuff is actually selling for.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake'sDad View Post
    You'll mainly get an idea of what they'd like to get for their guns, or lowball offers. Searching Gunbroker completed listings is a far better resource for what stuff is actually selling for.
    Do you even frequent Colt Forum forum at all? Your statement suggests that you do not.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    The gun broker prices for a, to me, beat up gun seem to be 400-500. There is one that is basically new in box(minus the box) for $899 and there is one that is a 1966 that is in, probably 5% better condition than this one, for $775.

Try searching on completed listings. You'll see that those prices are pipe dreams. People can list guns for whatever they want. The one's that actually sell, go for closer to what I told you.

Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    I found a place locally that deals in all kinds of old revolvers, lever actions and what not I am going to take it to to get it appraised.
    Ask them what they'd pay you for it today, and then add 50% to get a ballpark idea of what it's worth.

Feedback Score

Where to get original grips for Colt Special Agent .38

I inherited my dad's .38 Colt Special Agent. There was a crack in the wooden grips so I replaced it with pacmyer grips. Anyone know where to get some original wooden grips?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by klty View Post
    I inherited my dad's .38 Colt Special Agent. There was a crack in the wooden grips so I replaced it with pacmyer grips. Anyone know where to get some original wooden grips?
    Ebay, Gunbroker, gun shows, or if you have a good local gun store, sometimes they will have a big box of takeoff grips they've collected over the years. Original Colt revolver grips continue to go up in value, and I'm constantly reminded of the hundreds of them I sold for a couple bucks each or gave away.

All of the Agent's have the short grip frame, so make sure you get the right ones.