Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone carry a 3" GP100 in 357?

Feedback Score

Anyone carry a 3" GP100 in 357?

I am considering a 3" 357 mag GP100. Is it concealable? I know they are heavy.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Re: Anyone carry a 3" GP100 in 357?

Bulky and heavy for what you get(6 shots in a heavy package) but if you wanna rock a wheel gun I see nothing wrong with it. Ruger revolvers are built tough as it gets. You appear to be a big fan of Rugers or at least I assume so with all the Ruger questions? I would like a 3" GP100 to keep around the house though I'd never carry it. I have a 2.5" Model 66 S&W and its too big for carry based on my taste so the Ruger falls into the same category for me.

"If you're gonna be dumb you gotta be tough"

Feedback Score
    I have a Smith 686 plus, 7-shot, 3 inch, that I carry from time to time.
    Good holster is the key. This one is a Grizzle.
    Not too heavy with a good belt.

Feedback Score
    Only as a belt gun for walking around in the woods. Too heavy/bulky for EDC IMHO. But it is a durable, reliable revolver and I like mine.

Feedback Score

I only have a 6" GP100, and it's a tad bit too long; however, my S&W 586 L-Comp 7 round 357 in a Lobo Leather is what I'm carrying at the moment. It's heavier and thicker than a GP100.

If it suits you and you have a holster that works for you, then there is no reason not to carry it. Key is the right holster and the right clothes to cover what you have.

Feedback Score

Fantastic revolver. I have had a 3" for several years and have been very impressed with its ruggedness and accuracy. In my opinion, it's too big for EDC. Swapping out the houge grip would help. I only find myself carrying it in the woods in an OWB holster.

Feedback Score
    I haven't carried it but I do have a 2.25 inch SP101 that I would think might be a better carry gun. It is still a bit heavy and is a 5 shot so you loose another round. I wouldn't want a gun much lighter for use with full power .357 though.
    Last edited by Rumpelhardt; 04-02-13 at 14:22.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpelhardt View Post
    I haven't carried it but I do have a 2.25 inch SP101 that I would think might be a better carry gun. It is still a bit heavy and is a 5 shot so you loose another round. I wouldn't want a gun much lighter for use with full power .357 though.
    The SP101 is no fun to shoot with full .357 loads that's for sure. I'd put 50 rnds of .38SP and 10-12rnds of .357 through it at the range and be done with it when I had one. The quality of .38 SP made specifically for snub revolvers has improved greatly, making the smaller lighter .38 snub a viable option vs the SP101, which while built like tank, makes little sense when you can have a similar or lighter gun with 1 more rnd or far more rnds in a highly reliable package these days.

With modern offerings and modern ammo, the weight, rnd count, and terminal ballistics of other choices if calibers didn't favor the SP101 I decided.

That was my feeling on it anyway. The more knowledgeable here may have another take on it.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 04-02-13 at 14:59.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    I'm a big fan of both the GP100 and SP101 and the SP is orders of magnitude easier to carry. I use Simply Rugged holsters for both; the SP has a 3" barrel and conceals very well even under tighter fitting clothing..

Feedback Score
    Nope I carry my 6" GP100 alot. Mostly OC, but if I must CC it's in a shoulder rig!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast