Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Brand new to this, possible build

Feedback Score
    This is comical..love this place..learn something new with every post. Great advice guys! (Not being funny..seriously)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    All ejected brass will land in a 5 gallon bucket placed 5' to my rear at 5:00 (bench shooting).
    you're looking the wrong direction.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    you're looking the wrong direction.

Well, you guys got me so paranoid that my total lack of experience in ARs, and that building one is foolhardy, I was afraid it was going to blow up in my face, so I cowered back and looked away every shot.

Truth be told, every time I policed my brass after a couple mags, they were in a nice little circle. Made life nice having something that ejects, instead of "get's the hell rid of the brass" some 20' away. My PSL and all my Baby Eagles do that. Makes most shoots a 50% lost brass day.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Feedback Score

Why buy an AR that you don't want and can't afford to buy the one you want.

Most are saying don't build your first AR buy a affordable one. My thinking is why buy an AR that isn't spec'd out the way you want and you can't afford to layout $2500.00 at one time for one that is spec'd out the way you want.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaSierra View Post
    Of course, I think that we are dealing with the "new wave" Barfcom types now, so of course that must be considered when giving advice.

I think the new line of advice is something like this:

Cheaper is better. This way you can buy more folding grips, and useless parts...

Quality is unimportant. Since most AR makers parts are interchangeable, they are the same.

Any idiot can assemble an AR. Since that is the case, every idiot should assemble an AR.

Don't listen to anyone that has experience (similar to the "don't trust anyone over 30" line...) Some guy that has only put 50 rounds through his Blackthorne "build" probably knows more than I do...
    I have to agree with DeltaSierra on this one...comedy gold, but very true at times....some will have to learn the hard way...

THIS!!! THIS is why we can't have nice things!!!
    "You get more with a kind word and a gun, than a gun alone"- Al Capone

"By the way, it's inches that I'm giving you..."
    - Roman

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy R View Post
    Most are saying don't build your first AR buy a affordable one. My thinking is why buy an AR that isn't spec'd out the way you want and you can't afford to layout $2500.00 at one time for one that is spec'd out the way you want.
    Well, closer to $1500 if you ignore optics.

I think my base assembly came in at around $1400, then another 1k in accessories (sling, light, mags, BUIS...) & optics - which was the lions share.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy R View Post
    Again, how do you know what you "want"? Internet "research"?

It is less expensive in the long run, and you will be a more proficient shooter, to buy a basic gun and go shoot it. Not a cheap gun, a basic gun. Change parts as you find shortcomings, not as the wind blows or as the internet tells you to.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Once again this topic has been covered dozens of times, this month alone probably. The best solution is to get a Colt 6920, comparable Daniel Defense or even BCM, along with magazines and ammo.

Learn about the weapon, become proficient and advance from there. For every "I Built An AR Success Story"there are plenty of nightmares.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345