Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Elbow Pain.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NightFighter View Post
    If I mantain a slight bend in my right elbow wont I lose my ability to control the recoil of my handgun? I am trying to get my handgun to recoil straight up and down.
    You won't loose anything, the slight bend kind of gives the weapon an avenue back, a good wrist lock will assist with managing the flip. That straight up and down is usually over emphasized by some. Yes, it moves some, but not that much. And remember the Chinese quote about the Oak and the Willow.

Why the eye roll?
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    Next week I'm there Mon, Wed, Thurs & Fri. Yes the book shows pics of the stances, grip etc. I immediately noticed better times and accuracy and control using the new techniques. If you want to be a better shooter it's certainly worth it, especially if you want to shoot with little or no pain.
    I Googled this to try and find images of the grip but couldn't clearly see one.

Is the weak hand wrapped around the strong hand just a little more so that the finger tips are on top of the knuckles?
    "The war against this enemy is more than a military conflict. It is the decisive ideological struggle of the 21st century and the calling of our generation." George W. Bush

Jesus said to him, I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Linea_de_Fuego View Post
    I Googled this to try and find images of the grip but couldn't clearly see one.

Is the weak hand wrapped around the strong hand just a little more so that the finger tips are on top of the knuckles?
    Here's a pic of an LEO using this technique shooting a Glock 21.

Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    GotM4 already hit the nail on the head. It sounds like tendinitis or "tennis elbow"

One way to help alleviate the pain is to strengthen the area around the elbow. This can be done by doing straight arm wrist curls in both a pronated (palms down) and a supinated (palms up) position. The weight should be light, in the area of 5 pounds with higher reps, 15-20. This will help strengthen the area around the wrist and elbow (believe it or not) and help reduce the pain from shooting.

As gotM4 also pointed out you should have someone with real experience check out your shooting stance. Your elbows should NOT be locked. A slight bend in the elbows will allow the gun to track right back into position and less stress on the body.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    Here's a pic of an LEO using this technique shooting a Glock 21.

I think I got it; the strong hand thumb rides behind the weak hand thumb joint rather than in front of it.
    "The war against this enemy is more than a military conflict. It is the decisive ideological struggle of the 21st century and the calling of our generation." George W. Bush

Jesus said to him, I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

Feedback Score
    1 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    You won't loose anything, the slight bend kind of gives the weapon an avenue back, a good wrist lock will assist with managing the flip. That straight up and down is usually over emphasized by some. Yes, it moves some, but not that much. And remember the Chinese quote about the Oak and the Willow.

Why the eye roll?
    No reason. I am just trying to learn a way of shooting that will let me enjoy the activity without any pain.

Feedback Score
    1 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe R. View Post
    GotM4 already hit the nail on the head. It sounds like tendinitis or "tennis elbow"

One way to help alleviate the pain is to strengthen the area around the elbow. This can be done by doing straight arm wrist curls in both a pronated (palms down) and a supinated (palms up) position. The weight should be light, in the area of 5 pounds with higher reps, 15-20. This will help strengthen the area around the wrist and elbow (believe it or not) and help reduce the pain from shooting.

As gotM4 also pointed out you should have someone with real experience check out your shooting stance. Your elbows should NOT be locked. A slight bend in the elbows will allow the gun to track right back into position and less stress on the body.
    Thanks for the exercise suggestions. I was wondering if there was any specific exercises that would increase the strenght in my elbow. When I tried the suggested exercises I felt the area where I have the pain flex and move. it hurt a little but after a while the pain went away. Thanks a ton. I dont have anyone at this time who is an experienced shooter who can diagnosis my shooting stance and/or grip. So that is why I have to bother the people on the forum for assistance. I have started bringing my elbows in closer to my sides and allowing a slight bend into my elbows. I will let everyone know if all this helps over the next couple of weeks.

Bulldog1967 Guest
    I have SEVERE tendinitus of the elbow in my shooting hand and am having surgery/therapy on it next month. NOT cool.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Thanks for the exercise suggestions. I was wondering if there was any specific exercises that would increase the strenght in my elbow. When I tried the suggested exercises I felt the area where I have the pain flex and move. it hurt a little but after a while the pain went away. Thanks a ton. I dont have anyone at this time who is an experienced shooter who can diagnosis my shooting stance and/or grip. So that is why I have to bother the people on the forum for assistance. I have started bringing my elbows in closer to my sides and allowing a slight bend into my elbows. I will let everyone know if all this helps over the next couple of weeks.

Look at Daves (Sevigny) stance (upper body only as he's moving).

The elbows should always be bent slightly (mark5pt56 already said this too). This gives sort of a spring for recoil, you'll have to try the method to see if it works. You maybe gripping the pistol too hard as well. The firing hand should have about as much grip pressure as you would on a baseball bat. Most of the grip pressure should come from your support hand.

Also poke around on the Brian Enos forums, here's the Tips for Improvement forum within that forum.
    http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showforum=17

And Handgun Techniques.
    http://www.brianenos.com/forums/inde...ilter=all&st=0

I also recommend getting some professional instruction since you earlier talked about getting into competitive shooting. Local to NoVA is the NRA Range (intermediate pistol) or http://www.nvtactical.com/ (from Tommy Thacker). I shoot with Tommy in USPSA a little, he's a good shooter and instructor.
    Last edited by Robb Jensen; 12-23-07 at 11:53.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    No reason. I am just trying to learn a way of shooting that will let me enjoy the activity without any pain.
    Hey, with my limited excercise knowledge, I've been taught that for connective tissue, you need 30-50 reps to truly benefit them. Weight should be appropriate to work them vs. the muscle group around it.

I don't know what kind of program you do, but be careful not to overwork to where you are either injuring or on the verge of it. Soreness from workouts are actually injuries sustained to the tissue. Adequate rest and recovery is important. When I powerlifted, I could tell by week 3-4 in a program(8-9 week ones worked best for me) if I was overworking.

To avoid potential long term, I would see a good doctor to insure you aren't making it permanent. I was told by a Chiropractor that there are two types of injuries, the ones you know of right away and the ones you get when you're 60-from the stuff you did years ago.

Hope that helps

Mark
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast