Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daniel Defense or Spikes Tactical CHF Barrel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Daniel Defense or Spikes Tactical CHF Barrel

I wondering about the CHF 16 LW model from DD and the optimum profile 16 from Spikes, the Spikes barrel would be $50 cheaper. Does anyone have any experience with these barrels, is one going to be better than the other or are they so close that it wouldn't matter. I'm also in the market for a BCG and would end up getting one from the same manufacture as the barrel if that makes any sense. I already have a Mega Arms billet lower with a DD parts kit installed and a Mega forged upper that I will be pairing the barrel and BCG up with. If it matters this is going on a rifle that will be a range gun but I would also like it to be a quality rifle in case it is ever needed to be a serious one. Thanks
    Last edited by hmbeal; 02-19-12 at 16:42.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Considering the Spikes CHF is made by FN I'd grab the Spikes. FN is known to make a really nice CHF barrel.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Both are nice barrels. Get whichever you want as I doubt you'll notice any difference between the two.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Daniel. Defense.
    But what then is capital punishment but the most premeditated of murders, to which no criminal's deed, however calculated it may be, can be compared? - Albert Camus

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have the standard LE barrel on my Spikes carbine so I have no first hand experience with their CHF but FN has been doing this for a looooong time so I myself would go with the Spikes/FN CHF barrel.

As far as the Spike's Tactical bolt, mine is currently doing double duty in my 5.56 carbine and my 6x45 upper. Thousands of rounds without a malfunction in two different calibers so Im quite pleased.
    Last edited by Nightvisionary; 02-19-12 at 18:40.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I have a few rounds through a ST CHF FN-marked barrel and a bunch more rounds through a couple of DD CHF barrels. I don't think you're likely to find much difference outside of perhaps laboratory testing. That said I would probably go Daniel Defense just because I've found their customer service wonderful and I like that they make the barrels in-house. FN can certainly make outstanding barrels (CHF or otherwise) but the ST barrel is ultimately a subcontracted part with the interruption of quality control that might entail.

The one tangible difference I have found is that on two ST barrels, one CHF FN-marked and one generic LE, there is no recessed crown, just a flat cut across the end of the barrel. On the DD barrels there is a recessed crown. This is a small issue but it indicates attention to detail and might, under unlikely circumstances, help the DD maintain accuracy better.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    i have a spikes rifle and a daniel defense and my dd rifles are by a long shot more accurate

daniel defense all the way

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratfink View Post
    i have a spikes rifle and a daniel defense and my dd rifles are by a long shot more accurate

Is it a CHF supplied by FN? Didn't think so.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by buckjay View Post
    Is it a CHF supplied by FN? Didn't think so.
    Is it CHF? Yes.

Is it 4150? Yes.

Is it chrome lined, 1/7 twist? Yes.

Is it HPT'd, then MPI'd? Yes.

What is with the FN obession lately? Everyone seems to be so enamored with the fact that PSA, Spikes, "BCM", ect. barrels are from FN. As if they are the ONLY decent producer of barrels. DD makes fine barrels as well.
    But what then is capital punishment but the most premeditated of murders, to which no criminal's deed, however calculated it may be, can be compared? - Albert Camus

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratfink View Post

My Spikes is certainly accurate enough for a standard non free float carbine but I reload and certainly appreciate squeezing out extra accuracy wherever possible.

I have looked at the Noveske recon barrel but it's stainless so costs quite a bit more at $500+.

The DD and Spikes CHF barrels are more affordable. Can you tell me what kind of accuracy difference you are seeing with the Daniel Defense barrel over the Spikes?
    Last edited by Nightvisionary; 02-19-12 at 22:35.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast