Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Daniel Defense or Spikes Tactical CHF Barrel

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy View Post
    Is it CHF? Yes.

Is it 4150? Yes.

Is it chrome lined, 1/7 twist? Yes.

Is it HPT'd, then MPI'd? Yes.

What is with the FN obession lately? Everyone seems to be so enamored with the fact that PSA, Spikes, "BCM", ect. barrels are from FN. As if they are the ONLY decent producer of barrels. DD makes fine barrels as well.
    It's not an obsession with FN barrels; it's more that FN makes a great barrel and with PSA and Spikes sourcing from them, it shows they want to play on the level of the better companies like DD etc. Not saying they're there yet, not saying they're not either because not enough time has passed and not enough rifles are out there to know, just saying it's a step towards being a company that makes a legitimate defense or duty product. I don't think anyone would dispute that DD's CHF barrels are very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by djmorris View Post
    I'm pretty sure BCM uses DD barrels. People over on barfcom are just assuming BCM is using FN barrels, because.. well.. just because? I don't really care either way because both make an excellent product that's sure to please.
    BCM does not use DD barrels. Paul made that clear in thread on another site. They never have used them.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 13MPG View Post
    While FN does produce barrels for several different companies, the devil is in the details that each individual company specifies…

As far as the birthplace of BCM CHF barrels goes, the information is out there, or at least was at one point.
    That's just it. You can have three companies using a barrel from the same manufacturer, but each may be quite different.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    That's just it. You can have three companies using a barrel from the same manufacturer, but each may be quite different.
    Is a Noveske CHF truly built or tested to a better/higher specification than say... the mentioned Spikes CHF? This makes sense to me whereas I see others saying all FN CHF are built equally meaning spikes CHF = Noveske CHF = PSA CHF, etc.

Feedback Score
    55 (100%)
    Is a Noveske CHF truly built or tested to a better/higher specification than say... the mentioned Spikes CHF? This makes sense to me whereas I see others saying all FN CHF are built equally meaning spikes CHF = Noveske CHF = PSA CHF, etc.
    Who knows what’s really in the secret sauce.

Any of the barrels from FN should be solid performers, but to say that the PSA barrel is the same as the one that Noveske specs out would not make sense. Think about all the barrel knowledge that Noveske has. Does Spikes/PSA have the same background?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I was not trying to state it as a fact. I apologize if that's how my post came across because I'm not trying to spread unverified or incorrect information. I do not claim to be an expert. I'm saying that it is my belief that BCM is using Daniel Defense barrels or have in the past. I draw this conclusion not from a link or article but rather from my experiences and credible sources on this forum. I could have sworn that BCM provided the information on them using DD barrels at some point. I'd like to know for sure either way.
    Having owned and/or used a number of both, I'm fairly confident BCM HF barrels are not DD. DD barrels are all phosphated differently, the chroming is different, and DD uses too-short FSB pins on their FSB while BCM uses pins that provide adequate length on each side of the FSB.

Not exactly concrete evidence , but there are enough differences there that wouldn't make sense to switch back and forth between.

Feedback Score
    Who knows what’s really in the secret sauce.

Any of the barrels from FN should be solid performers, but to say that the PSA barrel is the same as the one that Noveske specs out would not make sense. Think about all the barrel knowledge that Noveske has. Does Spikes/PSA have the same background?
    How do you know? It's possible that Spikes and or PSA hired someone specifically to bring their line of weapons up to the, and I'll use your example, Noveske level. In this case, the answer would be yes.

Spikes and PSA will or won't prove themselves out eventually. But eventually isn't today and isn't tomorrow. It's a few years and a lot of rifles down the line.

Feedback Score
    55 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Striker View Post
    How do you know? It's possible that Spikes and or PSA hired someone specifically to bring their line of weapons up to the, and I'll use your example, Noveske level. In this case, the answer would be yes.

Spikes and PSA will or won't prove themselves out eventually. But eventually isn't today and isn't tomorrow. It's a few years and a lot of rifles down the line.
    lol, So you feel that the barrel making knowledge is the same across the field then?

I dont think anyone said the FN sourced PSA/Spikes barrels were junk.

Feedback Score
    lol, So you feel that the barrel making knowledge is the same across the field then?

I dont think anyone said the FN sourced PSA/Spikes barrels were junk.
    Hahaha. No sir, more I was allowing for the possibility that PSA and or Spikes hired someone with some knowledge. I honestly don't know how the barrels compare or whether there is or isn't a difference. I'm waiting to see how the two newer companies work out the bugs they may have at this point. As I've said in other threads, DD didn't become DD overnight. It takes time and I'm interested to see if both companies will go the DD or BCM route over time. It's obviously a more arduous journey than taking the route of whomever that doesn't even attempt to make defense grade weapons, but both Spikes and PSA seem to be trying.

Also, I didn't mean any disrespect towards you. If it came off that way, I apologize.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    First,

Quote Originally Posted by Striker View Post
    Spikes and PSA seem to be trying.
    They both seem to be trying. Good for them. If they become the next Bravo Company or Daniel Defense then great for them!

BUT, ... they're not there yet.

Spike's and PSA haven't proven themselves which is something only time will show. Even though there are those who will tell you they're every bit as good as everyone else, it has yet to be seen. I don't THINK they make JUNK, but I also don't KNOW they make QUALITY.

--------------------

Second,

What sets barrels apart? The materials used. The manufacturing processes. The process conrols. The testing performed. Who's using the best material, who's got the most effective process, who's controls are more stringent, and who's got more rigorous testing?

Obviously you can't just say that all barrels are equal, or that all CHF barrels are equal, or that all stainless barrels are equal. We know that not to be true for other parts, why would it be true here?

Someone's is better and someone's is worse unless they're all sourced the same. By what measure is it better or worse, and is that difference going to ever matter to an end user?
    Last edited by Moltke; 02-21-12 at 16:26.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SicSemper View Post
    Hello
    Quote Originally Posted by SicSemper View Post
    Is 70 percent in the round not the rifle.
    What?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast