Thread: First AR15 Built

Feedback Score

First AR15 Built

6 months ago I decided to get into the AR15 platform. I started reading online, and came up with a $700 budget to start with. I knew right away I would not be able to afford both the lower and upper that I wanted, so I decided to go with the nicer LMT upper, and run the plum crazy for a couple months until I could save up for the LMT lower that i wanted. A friend of mine is a gunsmith at a local gun shop. He hooked me up with a great deal on the LMT upper. It was a "blemished" one because of a small scratch on the barrel. Paid $425 for the whole upper. They sell in his shop for $799.

The LMT lower i really want is another $450, so there was not room in the budget for it. I found a local FFL dealer selling one of the plum crazy for $100. I went ahead and purchased the lower. I wanted to be able to use the rifle while i saved up some more cash for the other lower. The plum crazy lower is not a long term lower. After i purchase the LMT lower, I plan on using the plum crazy as a dedicated .22 AR platform.

Taking it out tomorrow to shoot it for the first time. Here is whats on the Gun (or going to be soon)

Plum Crazy Lower (will be replaced with a LMT Defender)
    LMT 20" upper with the 12" rifle length gas system
    LMT bolt carrier group
    LMT charging handle
    A4 front sights

I just ordered a carry handle off of amazon, it will be here next week sometime.

Last edited by IM1986; 02-19-12 at 17:59. Reason: More detail

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Let me be the first to say "looks good hope it shoots as well as it looks"

Have fun and be safe

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Not a Plum Crazy lower....

Please, tell me I read this wrong....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaSierra View Post
    Not a Plum Crazy lower....

Please, tell me I read this wrong....
    I have no interest in starting a plum crazy lower debate. Yes i read a ton about them. Decided for the price i could buy it, use it for a while, then upgrade to a better one. Gave more money in the budget for a nicer upper. I could not afford to do both at the moment.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you had searched this site for info on your lower before you purchased it, you probably would have bought something of higher quality. Even a Google image search for Plum Crazy lowers is full of pics of very broken lowers. Save up to replace it with better quality (BCM or Colt for example). And use the orange search button at the top of the screen.
    "Restricting the rights of free and law-abiding Americans is not a solution to anything, and only makes government and its force more powerful."
    -Gary Johnson

Owner of Wildwood Custom Woodworking, F-Class Rifle Stock Builder

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=

It would also be nice if you took time to explain how you came to your decision and explain your set up.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    Edited the 1st post with more info on the setup, and why i have a plum crazy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 7.62WildBill View Post
    If you had searched this site for info on your lower before you purchased it, you probably would have bought something of higher quality. Even a Google image search for Plum Crazy lowers is full of pics of very broken lowers. Save up to replace it with better quality (BCM or Colt for example). And use the orange search button at the top of the screen.
    I plan on doing just that. I have my eyes set on the LMT defender lower.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You can build any AR you want and spend as much or as little as you like. In the end the only person it has to please is you. If you choose to build it with a plastic lower its your choice. And thank God in heaven you live in a county with all these choices.

I for one hope and pray it stays that way!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Colt guy View Post
    I for one hope and pray it stays that way!
    I hope it does too.