Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: Twist rates for various calibers?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    35
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

    Twist rates for various calibers?

    I need some help with deciding which direction to go. I am wanting to do some medium range work and learn something new. I have no experience shooting past 200yds and have decided to finally scratch the itch to do some "longer" shooting. Max range will be only 400/500yds. I want to stay with .223 for sure, however everything I find has a twist rate of 1/9. Will that twist work with the heavier bullets in the bolt gun? I'm not wanting to re-barrel from a factory gun to get the twist I need, if thats the case, I'll stick with my AR's. Thanks for the help guys!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Deep South Texas
    Posts
    1,646
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    1/7 & 1/8 are considered the prefered twist for what you want to do...

    1/9 with 75gr & up is a crap shoot.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941




    "A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    35
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Thanks for the reply. Whats up with no one making the 1/7 twist standard for these? Oh well, appreciate the help!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,085
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    1:9 will shoot 69gr bullets perfectly fine out to 400/500yds. Give them a try.

    Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    166
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Quick Stick View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Whats up with no one making the 1/7 twist standard for these? Oh well, appreciate the help!
    Just my opinion....but it seems that manufacturers making .223 bolt guns do so with the intended purpose of varmit hunting. Typically a bullet weight of 40 to 50 grains is used for this....and the bullet velocity is notably faster than what the 75 to 90 grain bullets produce. As such, barrels with slower twist rates are put on these bolt action rifles.

    I'm not claiming that any logic from the manufacturer is being applied here...but that is how it appears so me. Maybe someone else has an idea?
    Last edited by arizona98tj; 02-22-12 at 21:26.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,085
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by arizona98tj View Post
    Just my opinion....but it seems that manufacturers making .223 bolt guns do so with the intended purpose of varmit hunting. Typically a bullet weight of 40 to 50 grains is used for this....and the bullet velocity is notably faster than what the 75 to 90 grain bullets produce. As such, barrels with slower twist rates are put on these bolt action rifles.

    I'm not claiming that any logic from the manufacturer is being applied here...but that is how it appears so me. Maybe someone else has an idea?
    I agree with your logic

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    1,857
    Feedback Score
    0
    If barrel length is 22-24", 1 in 9" might stabilize 75-77 grain bullets given the added velocity. If barrel is shorter, you need to look for 1 in 8" or quicker to be safe.

    I'd pose this question at Sniperhide or 6mmBR.com to get an answer from folks who have probably plowed this ground before. Asking a predominantly carbine board won't get you much "hands on" advise.
    Last edited by jmart; 02-22-12 at 23:04.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,008
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I had a .223 700 LTR w/ 1n9 and it ran the 77 loads well. I don't recall the velocity on them but they were a tad warm. I have also had no problem with a Colt 20" 1n9 running 262 loads. Bottom line, it will depend on velocity, factors that come in are barrel quality and or wear. You stabilize anything in a sewer pipe if it goes fast enough.

    I would suggest maybe picking up a stock 700 which will more than likely have a 1n9, try the heavier loads and the 68/69 ones. If it doesn't work well with the 75/77's use the lighter ones and rebarrel later on.

    FN makes a .223 also, it's 1n9 as well. Both can be customized later with stock options, detachable mag kits, etc. Poke around the boards and you may find one for sale-you have to be quick at times though.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    279
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    I had a .223 700 LTR w/ 1n9 and it ran the 77 loads well. I don't recall the velocity on them but they were a tad warm. I have also had no problem with a Colt 20" 1n9 running 262 loads. Bottom line, it will depend on velocity, factors that come in are barrel quality and or wear. You stabilize anything in a sewer pipe if it goes fast enough.

    I would suggest maybe picking up a stock 700 which will more than likely have a 1n9, try the heavier loads and the 68/69 ones. If it doesn't work well with the 75/77's use the lighter ones and rebarrel later on.

    FN makes a .223 also, it's 1n9 as well. Both can be customized later with stock options, detachable mag kits, etc. Poke around the boards and you may find one for sale-you have to be quick at times though.
    Mark - For your 223 700 LTR 1/9 that you ran the 77 gr loads in, did it have the stock 20" barrel length? Or did you have a custom barrel installed (longer than 20")?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Land of Lincoln (Illinois)
    Posts
    391
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jmart View Post
    If barrel length is 22-24", 1 in 9" might stabilize 75-77 grain bullets given the added velocity. If barrel is shorter, you need to look for 1 in 8" or quicker to be safe.

    I'd pose this question at Sniperhide or 6mmBR.com to get an answer from folks who have probably plowed this ground before. Asking a predominantly carbine board won't get you much "hands on" advise.
    My 1/9 twist Colt Accurized Rifle does great with 77 gr. However, it is a 24" barrel.
    By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest. - Confucius

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •