Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting from Scratch, .308 or 6.5 CM?

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)

Starting from Scratch, .308 or 6.5 CM?

I've been wanting to start longer range shooting. I have been shooting .223/5.56 in AR's for a short while, but nothing in larger calibers.

After some research, I've settled on a Tikka T3x CTR.

I am just undecided on the caliber. As of right now, I have zero ammo and/or reloading components for either .308 or 6.5 CM.

I do know .308 is widely available, and has been around for a long time. I did also read about the advantages of the 6.5 CM when it comes to performance. I'm just not completely sure on the logistics side of things.

Is 6.5 CM really that widely available and cost effective as it sounds? I honestly haven't monitored ammo availability and pricing on .308 or 6.5 CM lately, so I don't really have a good idea of which is more economical. I do also buy all of my ammo online, if that makes any difference. I am getting into reloading, so I still have yet to buy components for either .308 or 6.5 CM.

Would there be any reason at all to believe that the 6.5 CM would become a boutique caliber in the near future? Or would it be safe to say that it is catching on at this point?

Another consideration is that eventually I would like to get into a semi auto .308 or 6.5 CM. Most likely an LMT MWS. Barrels in 6.5 are available for it, but it is an extra ~$600. I know that I can sell the .308 barrel to offset costs. I'm not 100% sure on whether I would sell the .308 barrel though. And of course, whether I buy the 6.5 LMT barrel would depend heavily on whether I go into 6.5 to begin with.

To sum it up, is 6.5 all that it's hyped up to be in regards to ballistics/performance, and price/availability?

Or would you say for a beginner it would be better to just start out with the proven .308 round?

Thanks for any advice

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Do you reload?

What distances do you have access to shoot?

Short answer is yes the 6.5 is easier to shoot longer ranges. It has many benefits and factory ammo is available.

Barrel life is only about 3-4 thousand rounds though.

The .308 barrel life is a lot longer and good factory ammo is available. The recoil is more and it's not as easy to shoot at longer ranges.

Personally I went with the 6.5 and have no regrets. I have shot it out to 1100 yards and got great hits.

IF I was going with a semi auto I would NOT got with the 6.5 though. Semi auto is too hard on brass IMO.

What's your budget for rifle AND optics?

Look at the Tikka Tac A1. That's tikkas new chassis rifle like the Ruger RPR and Savage stealth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Also if you plan on punching paper out to 1k I honestly would get a .223 and shoot ALL day for little money.

Here is my 6.5 built on a defiance action.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Between the two the 6.5 is the way to go with 1k and out. You have a better bc which results in less drop and less effect from wind than the 308. Ammo is much cheaper now and far easier to find now.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Define long range. Are you hunting? Competing? If not and you plan to shoot under 1k, go 308 or 223 and save money on components and barrels.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I rebarreled my 308 to 65 Creed and am glad I did. Much easier to make hit so past 1,000. I don't worry much about barrel life as I figure I can afford a new barrel if I can afford the ammo it takes to wear one out.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Go with a 6.5CM--and OP since you decided on a Tikka and not a freakin 700, my guess is you are a winner already and will go 6.5. --just start saving for that Accuracy International

Better ballistics, while short ranges, it's a wash, however, recoil is less.
    Ammunition cost are so close it's a moot point (and yes someone will post a PSA sale add with .308)
    The caliber isn't going away, it's actually growing.
    Reloading-just as easy to reload and if you don't save your brass and sell it.
    If you are going to reload, in my opinion, buy new ammo and shoot it for the brass while you get used to your rifle, etc. --do a cost analysis.
    Barrel life, less, but shouldn't be a deal breaker-heck one could argue that the misses at long range with the .308 will add up and be a wash anyhow.

I have both and I'm sure someone will come along with data to argue about it, comparing the new whizbang .30 bullet to a certain 6.5 bullet. But as someone else elsewhere pointed out--guess what?-that new whizbang bullet is made in a 6.5 also.
    The .308 is a good round, been there and done it and will continue to do so, but the 6.5 will be better long range, simple science.

ref brass-you will sell 6.5 used brass-you can hardly sell .308 brass, better to give it to a friend verses trying to sell it for pennies and some internet chump wanting a break on it.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    Go with a 6.5CM--and OP since you decided on a Tikka and not a freakin 700, my guess is you are a winner already and will go 6.5. --just start saving for that Accuracy International

Better ballistics, while short ranges, it's a wash, however, recoil is less.
    Ammunition cost are so close it's a moot point (and yes someone will post a PSA sale add with .308)
    The caliber isn't going away, it's actually growing.
    Reloading-just as easy to reload and if you don't save your brass and sell it.
    If you are going to reload, in my opinion, buy new ammo and shoot it for the brass while you get used to your rifle, etc. --do a cost analysis.
    Barrel life, less, but shouldn't be a deal breaker-heck one could argue that the misses at long range with the .308 will add up and be a wash anyhow.

I have both and I'm sure someone will come along with data to argue about it, comparing the new whizbang .30 bullet to a certain 6.5 bullet. But as someone else elsewhere pointed out--guess what?-that new whizbang bullet is made in a 6.5 also.
    The .308 is a good round, been there and done it and will continue to do so, but the 6.5 will be better long range, simple science.

ref brass-you will sell 6.5 used brass-you can hardly sell .308 brass, better to give it to a friend verses trying to sell it for pennies and some internet chump wanting a break on it.
    Haha, I will know I've succeeded in life the day I buy an AI. One day though.

As for reloading, I have not officially started yet. I've just been stocking up on components slowly. At the moment I have a decent amount of powders, primers, and brass for 9 mm and .223. I will definitely also start stocking up on components for either the .308, 6.5, or both. And yes, I always buy plenty of factory ammo first as a way to get brass for reloading in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by tylerw02 View Post
    Define long range. Are you hunting? Competing? If not and you plan to shoot under 1k, go 308 or 223 and save money on components and barrels.

Just shooting targets for now. I don't have the opportunity to hunt right now. It's definitely something I've wanted to do for a long time, but for now it's not something that this rifle will be used for. As for long range, I was thinking to start at 600 yards. Then go up from there, but I don't imagine I will be doing much too far past 1000 yards. If you recommend I should start at something shorter than 600, please let me know. I'm open to hearing any advice/pointers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    Also if you plan on punching paper out to 1k I honestly would get a .223 and shoot ALL day for little money.

Here is my 6.5 built on a defiance action.

I have thought about .223, but part of this is about expanding my horizons into larger calibers. If that makes any sense? Slightly related, I am planning to build an SPR in .223 sometime down the road. I figured with a semi auto, long range shooting is more difficult, and it might be better to start with heavier grain .223 than .308 or 6.5 CM That is a nice rifle in the picture. That is something I had envisioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    Do you reload?

What distances do you have access to shoot?

Short answer is yes the 6.5 is easier to shoot longer ranges. It has many benefits and factory ammo is available.

Barrel life is only about 3-4 thousand rounds though.

The .308 barrel life is a lot longer and good factory ammo is available. The recoil is more and it's not as easy to shoot at longer ranges.

Personally I went with the 6.5 and have no regrets. I have shot it out to 1100 yards and got great hits.

IF I was going with a semi auto I would NOT got with the 6.5 though. Semi auto is too hard on brass IMO.

What's your budget for rifle AND optics?

Look at the Tikka Tac A1. That's tikkas new chassis rifle like the Ruger RPR and Savage stealth.

I do the vast majority of my shooting in the desert. So distances can easily reach 1000 yards. However, like I said, this will be the first time I shoot at long distance. Up to this point it has been out to about 100 yards with irons, using AK's and AR's.

I do not have a set budget. Honestly, I am of the mindset that I rather just save a little longer and getting something better. In other words, buy once cry once. With that said, for a first bolt gun I want to buy something rather simple. I want quality, but at a reasonable "entry price". To me that would be about $1-1.2k for the base rifle. I don't have a problem dropping $600 to $900 on optics. Again though, this is all completely new to me. So I'm not sure what my preferences will be with different optics. From reading the various threads in the optics subforum, I can see that there is a lot of personal preference that goes into what optics suit the shooter.

In short, I don't have a specific budget. I don't mind spending a little more if it calls for it. I also want decent rifle worthy of keeping. I know sometimes people say to just buy the cheapest option to learn on and see if you even like what you're getting into. Then sell to upgrade later on. Resale sucks right now in the used gun market, so I just want something worthy of hanging onto.

I did look at the Tac A1. From what I did read on them, it seemed the consensus was to just buy the T3 and then later upgrade to a new chassis if desired. I may be getting the model confused though. Doesn't the Tac A1 use proprietary magazines?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If you're in the desert and have access to longer ranges, then no reason not to go 6.5.

Feedback Score
    36 (100%)
    I'm in the same boat as you deciding which caliber before I dive in head first and the bergara hmr 14 in 6.5 creedmoor caught my eye. I have no experience with it but figured it was worth mentioning as it seems to fit your criteria.
    "But if they want to play out a Rage Against the Machine album then...I have no problem blacking out my face, putting on Tiger Stripes, and working on my ear necklace."-FireFly

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast