Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Refinished Remington 700

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Refinished Remington 700

This DIY refinishing project took longer than expected, it started way back in the Winter but now it's finally done. Most of the wait was due to having to send my barreled action off to get a new barrel screwed on. It turns out that when I painted everything the first time and reassembled it, the barrel was on its last legs, so I had to find another barrel, get a gunsmith to knock it out, and wait for the end result so I could refinish the barrel...again. So without further adieu....

The rifle started out painted in Krylon camo colors with a DuraCoat OD Green base coat on the barreled action, scope rail, and muzzle brake.

IMG_0003.jpg

That all had to be stripped off and I used a combination of Citri Strip and Kleen Strip foaming paint remover once I'd torn the rifle completely down. Before I go too much farther, I'd like to give a huge shout out to Custom Gun Coatings, I called them a couple times while I was trying to completely disassemble the AX AICS chassis and was given very helpful advice, I only ****ed it up a little bit. The Citri Strip did a great job at removing the krylon layers from the skins, chassis, and some of the other small parts and the smell didn't want to chase me out of the room. However, when it came to the DuraCoat, experience has taught me that products like Citri Strip aren't going to cut it so I turned to the foaming paint stripper and let it do. It works incredibly well but sometimes I hate working with it because it is volatile and I had to take precautions so that I didn't get chemical burns on my hands and arms and make sure I was working with plenty of ventilation.

IMG_0010.jpg

Here's the foaming paint stripper in action, in the background you can see that I already have the muzzle brake, scope base, and bolt body stripped down. It all I think it took about a weekend to get everything completely stripped down and ready to paint.

IMG_0019.jpg

I knew from the beginning that I was going to use DuraCoat again for this project because for me it's easy to work with and forgiving if I make a mistake. I also don't need much in the way of equipment as I can accomplish a pretty satisfactory result with a Preval Sprayer from Home Depot and a hair dryer. I went back and forth on color selections and eventually settled on DuraCoat Tactical Coyote Brown and had the skins hydro dipped in Multicam. There are tons of articles on how to properly apply paint so I'm not going to delve into that topic here but I just wanted to show you what kind of end result can be achieved with some pretty simple tools for those that would wish to do it themselves. My next project is going to be refinishing my other AX AICS and AAC-SD in a similar fashion as this rifle, although with a more OD Green theme to it.

IMG_0219.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

Rifle specs.

2014 AX AICS Chassis
    Remington 700 SA
    Badger Ordnance Bolt Knob
    Badger Ordnance 30 MOA Base
    Bartlein 6.5mm Heavy Palma Barrel Chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor (Thank you LRI !)
    Area419 Muzzle Brake
    Harris Bipod
    NF 1.375" UL 34mm Rings
    NF 5-25 ATAC-R F1
    Last edited by Long Range Trigger Monkey; 07-16-17 at 09:26.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Looks great! Thanks for the write up.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Nice looking gun, how does she shoot ?
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Any possibility of reposting the images?
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Any possibility of reposting the images?
    Said Stickman to whole Internet Interested to see them too.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Ok pics uploaded again.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    That came out really nice. Great job and looks like a lot of fun to shoot.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    That came out really nice. Great job and looks like a lot of fun to shoot.
    Agreed!
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Very nice work. I am impressed

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thanks for the compliments. I've always been satisfied with the DC products and when applied correctly they've held up great over the years. I still need to pick an OD color for the other chassis and barreled action but I think I'm also going to try my hand at DIY hyrdo-dipping.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast