Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: treating battlefield wounds with Sugar/Honey

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thanks for sharing
    "Intelligence is not the ability to regurgitate information. It is the ability to make sound decisions on a consistent basis "--me

"Just remember, when you are talking to the average person, you are talking to a television set"--RDJB

One Big Ass Mistake America

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pmarc View Post
    Yes, I've heard the same.

Regarding the fear of giving sugar to bacteria, I am not sure. There is one school of thought that goes: excess sugar is used to preserve fruit, because in high concentrations, sugar makes for a hostile environment for bacteria...

I'd like to see any scientific evidence...
    Yea I am not saying its a definite no go, just not 100% sold on the idea. The anti-coagulate properties would be a bonus, though I have never seen it put to the test. I will do some research myself. Maybe I will be surprised. I am always open for new ideas/treatments. Found a recent journal article on the issue.

http://journals.lww.com/aswcjournal/...Update.11.aspx
    Last edited by jknopp44; 06-14-12 at 20:11.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Coming from my experience working in the microbiology field, and my training as a first responder, I would suggest going and getting the proper equipment if you want to be prepared. Novelty is great, but when the established options are better...use them.

As far as increasing bacterial growth? I wouldn't be too concerned with that. Honey has anti-bacterial properties, and an overload of sugar does, too. Again though, this is not something that I would think of as a "primary" tool to treat anything.

Personally, I typically avoid eHow, as it seems to be full of morons offering unsound advice. Articles like that convince people not to buy things they should have on hand in favor of something that would have been ideal in the Dark Ages.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have personally used both sugar and used honey, in wounds ranging from a simple cut finger to knee/elbow scrapes to moderate gashes. Both have worked for me, but honey worked a bit better. The advantage of sugar is that it stays in place better than honey.

My preferred method is extensive irrigation and proper bandaging, though, until I can get somewhere where someone better trained than I can have a proper look at it.
    Sent from the future using Squid Telepathy

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home.

Feedback Score
    Interesting topic.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Silly, IMHO.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Interesting. Seems like a stretch though.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    We've used Menuka Honey - expensive but works well as nature super anti-microbial. Extra tacky and packs well.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    I'm just a lowly EMT-B, but here's my opinion:

Sterility should be your main concern in a field injury. Infection is serious shit and needs to be foremost in your mind. Apart from arterial bleeding, you'll have more than enough time to apply indirect/direct pressure and properly apply a pressure dressing. If you're willing to improvise and use honey/sugar on a cut, then you should be more than willing to hold pressure while tearing a sleeve off of your shirt.

With arterial bleeding, if you're isolated and/or lost, then it's just your time to die. Unless you can make a field expedient TQ and apply it quickly, you're ****ed. (hence why I carry a CAT in my cargo pocket when hiking)

Just my .02, but I really think there are far better methods to control bleeding than this. Carry a small med kit with you with cravats and gauze and you'll be more than capable of treating all but the most severe hemmorhage.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    It would be inconceivable to me that any competent EMS Medical Director would sign off on protocols that allowed EMTs to use honey or pancake syrup or any other breakfast table condiment on acute traumatic wounds. Likewise any competent ER physician or surgeon.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast