Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: treating battlefield wounds with Sugar/Honey

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Honey is something I would definitely use as a field expedient antiseptic for minor wounds. I would never consider sugar as it might just as easily provide a growth medium for bacteria.

Using it for battlefield trauma???

Only if there isn't anything better around.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    my bros German shepherdad a tumor removed on her leg. They stitched wound close but wound opened back up exposing bones and tendons.

due to amount of tissue removed and there wasn't enough skin to stitch it back together.

what is interesting is the vet is applying some sort of sugar dressing on the wound once a day. In the last 2 weeks it has made good progress healing.
    Last edited by bubba04; 08-18-12 at 21:05.

Past the second cattle guard, at the end of the gravel road
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I remember reading that they used honey to treat burns in World War One since honey won't support fungal or bacterial growth.

RFA

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
    Honey is something I would definitely use as a field expedient antiseptic for minor wounds. I would never consider sugar as it might just as easily provide a growth medium for bacteria.

Using it for battlefield trauma???

Only if there isn't anything better around.
    Won't use sugar, but will use honey? Do you know what is in honey?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ready.Fire.Aim View Post
    I remember reading that they used honey to treat burns in World War One since honey won't support fungal or bacterial growth.

RFA
    Bearing in mind that even rudimentary wound physiology was a complete mystery then and that antibiotics were completely unheard of until 1928.

The use of honey as a field expedient in the treatment of acute wounds is stupid. No other way to say it. It is currently used occasionally in chronic wounds. I think that's basically pretty stupid too, but it is at least somewhat more rational than battlefield medics carrying a squeeze bottle of honey with them.

Feedback Score
    I've also seen Copenhagen used to do the same.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post
    I've also seen Copenhagen used to do the same.
    There's nothing a good pinch can't fix.

Feedback Score
    In a SHTF type of environment where you are not near an ER, this may be a legitimate treatment. Sugar packing can actually be useful in treating local infections when other methods fail. It does not help in controlling bleeding.

In this situation the wound would be packed with sugar and eventually it would for a paste. This would have to be irrigated multiple times a day, meaning completely washed out, then repacked.

I probably would try it as a last resort, but it is legitimate and isn't a "home remedy" that is complete BS like most are.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Bearing in mind that even rudimentary wound physiology was a complete mystery then and that antibiotics were completely unheard of until 1928.

The use of honey as a field expedient in the treatment of acute wounds is stupid.
    Then why is there a long history of using honey in warfare? The Romans didn't have quickclot gauze, nor did the Napoleonic forces, yet they used Honey and sugar. It worked and they continued to use it.

Just because they didn't understand wound physiology doesn't mean they knew what worked and what didn't. I have used super glue to treat wounds and I am sure there are lots of people who will call me stupid, yet it worked for me very well.
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraq Ninja View Post
    Then why is there a long history of using honey in warfare? The Romans didn't have quickclot gauze, nor did the Napoleonic forces, yet they used Honey and sugar. It worked and they continued to use it.

Just because they didn't understand wound physiology doesn't mean they knew what worked and what didn't. I have used super glue to treat wounds and I am sure there are lots of people who will call me stupid, yet it worked for me very well.

I don't know why the Romans or the French used honey on wounds. Perhaps because they were more likely to have honey available than soap. Doesn't matter. We've moved on.

Super Glue is used in modern operating rooms every day.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast