Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: treating battlefield wounds with Sugar/Honey

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraq Ninja View Post
    Then why is there a long history of using honey in warfare? The Romans didn't have quickclot gauze, nor did the Napoleonic forces, yet they used Honey and sugar. It worked and they continued to use it.

Just because they didn't understand wound physiology doesn't mean they knew what worked and what didn't. I have used super glue to treat wounds and I am sure there are lots of people who will call me stupid, yet it worked for me very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    I don't know why the Romans or the French used honey on wounds. Perhaps because they were more likely to have honey available than soap. Doesn't matter. We've moved on.

Super Glue is used in modern operating rooms every day.

Anyone have any idea what the mortality rate was among those treated?
    One number I've seen published is 45-65% mortality for battle wounds rate in a hospital setting during the 1700's. Just because they did something doesn't mean it was very effective.
    Just some food for thought.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Honey has been used for centuries, that is true but I've never seen anything in the texts to indicate that it was used for significant hemorrhage. Likewise there is little documented modern evidence that it can effectively stop major arterial bleeding. I think honey works well on clotting minor bleeding and preventing sepsis/infection on wounds that. Using it to stop a major arterial bleed? I'll have to see some documentation before I think that's a proper substitute for direct pressure, tourniquet or other. If I had nothing else I might give it a try if it was handy, but I wouldn't waste time looking for it.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Actually one effective clotting agent I've heard being used was spider webs.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    Folks, this stuff (honey & sugar) isn't meant to clot...it's meant to help treat local infections.

99% of wounds you can stop the bleeding with nothing but direct pressure. Even major arterial bleeding can be stopped with direct pressure. If not, you can use QuickClot and direct pressure. If not you can tourniquet.

Honey and sugar is not going to help stop major bleeding. Humans have a tendency to have a need to "put something on it" instead of doing the basics. Soap and water to clean out wounds, direct pressure and the rest of the bleeding control cascade to stop the bleeding.

Feedback Score
    What is interesting as it is said Honey has anti infection{antibacterial} properties so why is it recommended not to feed honey to babies because of the chance of the baby getting botulism[?] or something poisioning.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    What is interesting as it is said Honey has anti infection{antibacterial} properties so why is it recommended not to feed honey to babies because of the chance of the baby getting botulism[?] or something poisioning.
    You are exactly right. If honey is being used for treatment of a local infection you should "boil" it first. This is according to the physician who I asked about this stuff. I do NOT know the actual method of treating with honey, only sugar. Though I never think I will use this, I would rather go with sugar than honey. That's just me.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Anyone who has spent any length of time in a combat zone knows, you use what has proven to work. This treatment became widespread in Napoleonic times for good reason I suspect, just like certain plants were harvested for their wound packing abilities.

We all know that sugar/honey is not a primary form of treatment, but if that is all one has, the knowledge may save a life in austere conditions when primary care is days away.

I was fortunate to have primary care only a helo ride away in my real life adventures, but knew in the back of my mind what to do once the med kit ran dry.

To ignore this body of knowledge is ignorant in my opinion. To use it without experience and wisdom is stupid.
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraq Ninja View Post
    Anyone who has spent any length of time in a combat zone knows, you use what has proven to work. This treatment became widespread in Napoleonic times for good reason I suspect, just like certain plants were harvested for their wound packing abilities.
    They used to bleed people in Napoleonic times too. That practice persisted into the 19th century.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    A-thank you. Why bother packing honey in the off chance that it may be useful when they have products like quick clot out? If I'm dealing with acute bleeding the possibility of infection is waaaay in the back of my mind. Try to keep it clean but priorities...

Quote Originally Posted by MedicPatriot View Post
    Folks, this stuff (honey & sugar) isn't meant to clot...it's meant to help treat local infections.

99% of wounds you can stop the bleeding with nothing but direct pressure. Even major arterial bleeding can be stopped with direct pressure. If not, you can use QuickClot and direct pressure. If not you can tourniquet.

Honey and sugar is not going to help stop major bleeding. Humans have a tendency to have a need to "put something on it" instead of doing the basics. Soap and water to clean out wounds, direct pressure and the rest of the bleeding control cascade to stop the bleeding.

Feedback Score

Sugar

While with the MFO, I saw a Columbian soldier who had a burst appendix and the wound care that they used was based upon sugar. The wound healed beautifully.

This is not a recommendation to use sugar, only the one time that I saw it used.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast