Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Viridian C5L: opinions?

Feedback Score

Viridian C5L: opinions?

I was looking into flashlight/laser for my handgun. Anyone have feedback/opinions on the C5L? I have searched around online and at various forums, and feedback so far has been positive. I was also looking at the Surefire x400 as the alternative.

Taking a step back, do I even need a laser in the first place? Any guidance on how to decide if one needs one or not?
    Last edited by Riight112; 10-07-10 at 21:45.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Thought I would bump this since I am also considering one of these over an X300.
    "Facit Omina Voluntas = The Will Decides" - Army Chief

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riight112 View Post
    I was looking into flashlight/laser for my handgun. Anyone have feedback/opinions on the C5L? I have searched around online and at various forums, and feedback so far has been positive. I was also looking at the Surefire x400 as the alternative.

Taking a step back, do I even need a laser in the first place? Any guidance on how to decide if one needs one or not?
    I'd lean towards getting some ctc grips and an X300 or tlr1. I'd say its one of the best light/laser combos out there.
    Its only until we have nothing that we're free to do anything

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I just got the C5L. The green laser is much better than the red for me. My eye picks it up much better especially in daylight. I had the CTC grips on my Glock 23. I didn't like the way it changed the grip width and feel. Made them too fat in the wrong places for me. Had an Insight Tech light on the rail. Liked the light alot, but for some reason the light kept falling off the rail on about the 3rd shot. I checked and had mounted the light correctly. Just me I think. My son had no problems, but it did lower my confidence in the light. The C5L does not change the grip size. The laser as stated is just great. The light is so-so for brightness, but adequate for room clearing in my house. Get the C5L, you won't be disappointed. Also there are readily available kydex weapon specific Viridian holsters.

Feedback Score
    Can anyone more chime in? I'm thinking to get C5L for my CCW HK P2000SK. Not much laser experience here, as until last weapon law change that will go in force within a months, using lasers on firearms was banned here. Also exchanging or getting warranty repairs from USA will be virtually impossible, so I must choose wisely.
    Last edited by montrala; 02-06-11 at 16:11. Reason: C5L obviously :)
    Montrala

I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Kahles, Hornady and Typhoon Defence brands in Poland, so I can be biased

http://montrala.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Anybody got anything more to add?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EzGoingKev View Post
    Anybody got anything more to add?
    Laser is very good, light is nice. Unfortunately my unit showed problems with mounts on my P2000SK (and P30L). When tightened lightly unit loses zero during carry or after shots 10-20 shots. When tightened strong unit goes out of it's adjusting range. Also mount looses tension after some time.

After some unsuccessful attempts to contact Customer Service (and trying to fix one of supplied mounts myself) I managed to get response from Viridian that is is not "standard behaviour" and to send unit back to them. I believe that parcel post package is still on route from Poland to Viridian. I expect that source of problem is plastic mount that "gives up" with time and tension. I've seen photos of C5L with different mounts - so maybe Viridian already solved this. I will report back how problem was solved.

Despite this, I very much like this unit. It is very compact, does not add bulk to sub-compact pistol, very good for carry (I was carrying it AIWB for some time until I found out described problem). Actually If Viridian will not be able to solve my problem I will have machinist make me mounting brackets from aluminium... especially that I have Raven holster for it in production.

When I mounted it for first time and zeroed it worked very well:

10 shots 11yard (unit zeroed for 17yard that is why POI is not on bullseye):

Last edited by montrala; 07-22-11 at 06:24.
    Montrala

I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Kahles, Hornady and Typhoon Defence brands in Poland, so I can be biased

http://montrala.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riight112 View Post

My concern with a laser is the user getting sloppy and undisciplined with their sights. Technology should not replace fundamentals.
    US Army Military Police 97-03
    Federal LEO/M.R.T. 05-Present
    NRA Life Member

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    -E. Hemingway

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it."
    -Jack Nicholson (A Few Good Men, 1992)

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I wonder if moderate torque with low strength (purple) Loctite would solve the mounting concerns?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If you want a laser, it's probably a very good option. I loved the look of them but I hate lasers, so I got a WX150. There's no way I'd get one over an X300 personally but if you're after a laser/light combo, it seems to be a good one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast