Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VFGs: What next? A Concept ...

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

VFGs: What next? A Concept ...

Gentlemen,

I was thinking about VFGs earlier today and specifically wondering why everything on the market right now seems to essentially just be a variation on a theme. We've progressed to the short versions as we've learned to migrate beyond the "chicken choker" grip of the early days, but that is effectively where the evolution seems to have stopped.

I'm willing to concede that the reasoning behind this is simply that (a) there is no need to improve upon what works, or (b) that the more we discover about VFGs in actual practice, the less we even find ourselves using them. Still, as a forward hand stop, or as a reference point along the rail, it would seem that a VFG does still serve a purpose for the majority of shooters with railed carbines.

I've been paying attention to hand positioning, in particular, and it has occurred to me that "less might be more" where the typical VFG is concerned. Yes, we do want something there to gain purchase on, but we don't necessarily need a full post in most cases. Why, then, is that all that we see on the market?

What follows is nothing more than a concept -- and a very theoretical one at that. I'm not a designer, I'm not in the parts business, I haven't sent out any resumes, and I'm not looking to promote or market anything. What I'm proposing here doesn't even exist, and likely never will. I'm just a shooter trying to envision what (if anything) might logically come next in the evolution of the VFG.

To that end, I've mocked-up two views of a wedge-type VFG concept (below) that would seem to introduce some new possibilities while still maintaining a more or less standard support hand position on a railed carbine. There are, of course, two problems with this: (1) I'm only one shooter with a very abstract idea, and (2) the idea itself might not even have that much merit to begin with.

What I'm soliciting here is an opinion, or a dialogue in support of an opinion, about the possibilities that might exist with a concept of this nature. What would (or would not) work about it? Why might it present new advantages (or disadvantages)? How would it be a step forward (or backward)? Again, we aren't talking about sharpshooting an existing product; merely attempting to refine one idea among many.

Based upon a more or less standard hand position along the rail, I envisioned Concept 1 as the more viable of the two, as it would provide a natural wedge to wrap the middle, ring and pinky fingers around. Reversing the wedge obviously provides a very different profile, and even if the virtue of such a component would be limited to use as a forward rest for the front of the weapon against cover, it seems like there might be a use for something along these lines.

Whether you happen agree or disagree, or by chance see something else entirely, I would be interested in your thoughts. There is no pride in authorship here, and no risk of "butt hurt," so please feel free to speak your mind.

Oh, and have a very Merry Christmas!

Chief
    Last edited by Army Chief; 12-24-08 at 09:44.
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That is a good idea and a novel concept. I really like the "Concept 1" idea. Why not make a mock up proto-type (hell you could make it out of plywood), conduct some T&E, then give it to someone else for some T&E? If it works contact Magpul or maybe Tango Down with your idea. You really might be onto something here, but I think forum discussion is one thing real use on a rifle is something different.

I saw your thread in general about Magpul and VFGs. You seem to be on a VFG kick lately.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by decodeddiesel View Post
    I saw your thread in general about Magpul and VFGs. You seem to be on a VFG kick lately.
    There is definitely some crossover on the thought-process behind the two posts, but it's probably more related to having some free time over the holidays to brainstorm a bit than it is reflective of a new obsession.

If an industry professional found an idea like this interesting, then obviously I would be happy to see it advanced, but at this point, I'm simply curious if we might be on to anything in a very rudimentary sense. This one has been rattling around in my head for a long, long time.

Chief
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have had thoughts along this line. Something that is pretty much a handstop to allow you to pull the rifle taut instead of a true VFG. Mabey you could flare the bottom in concept one to prevent your hand from sliding off.

Or you could move concept two back a bit and undercut it a stosh......yeah, that's the ticket.
    Last edited by Heavy Metal; 12-24-08 at 11:00.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Larue BUIS also doubles as a pretty comfy handstop.
    "you give peace a chance, I'll stay here and cover you, in case it doesn't work out"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Two Cents:

I just did a two week course without a VFG. I no longer use a VFG on my personal gun either.

I have a KAC and a Tango Down. The were both great but I do not miss them.

Lately I have been shooting in the 3-gun style with my finger in the gap of the 6:00 and 9:00 rail. Lights and lasers are activated via remote switches near my thumb.

I use an Insight 3X as my light at the 6:00. It sort of works as a 'stop' in the same way you describe the wedge. One of the big things I have done is to lighten my gun. Everything on it must have a purpose and preferably, it must serve more than one purpose. Right now, today, I cannot justify adding a VFG because it really doesn't do anything for me. I can control my gun just fine without it.

It has sort of been my observation that, in time, every advanced shooter will go back to basics.

Feedback Score
    Good concept Chief. I use my VFG more of a reference point as well after LAV's class, but also as a spare bolt/firing pin holder.
    Last edited by RogerinTPA; 12-24-08 at 20:33.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Take concept 1, and add a slight forward pointing "hook" contour to the base to prevent hand slippage. If possible, make edges as round as possible to keep vegetation/gear/etc from snagging on it. Apply generous stippling to add grippiness.
    Aimpoint M4S- Because your next Aimpoint battery hasn't been made yet.

Feedback Score
    I have built some concept pieces similar to those designs. I am a big AK fan and have all ways liked the feel of those rifles. The question is all ways when building a mold for plastic parts will enough other people out there like this to warrant building a mold.
    C Reed Knight III
    Knight's Armament Co.
    http://www.knightarmco.com/

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast